Wow, what a cool looking turntable

m00n

----------------

On 5/5/2004 1:12:54 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

Jazman,

Thanks for the well thought out reply. It's very helpful. I'm leaning toward the Scout right now and it's good to get as many opinions and experiences as possible.

Can you give me a recommendation regarding a reliable retail outlet? I'd like to start shopping around and talking to some dealers.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

----------------

Gary,

I purchased my Scout from The Elusive Disc.(www.elusivedisc.com) You will likely deal with the owner Bob who is very knowledgeable and an analog enthusiast. The customer service is excellent, and if you purchase your table and cartridge from them, Bob will set up the cartridge and arm and and make sure it's operating properly before shipping out to you. I have no stock or get any discounts for what I'm saying. I simply like good customer service and dealing with knowledgeable, polite individuals. They also generally have Scouts "in stock".

As for used Scouts on Audiogon, at $1200 or $1250, generally 1 year old etc., it's really not much of a discount on what you may be able to negotiate on a new package with new warranty. There is one on now. If the $200-$300 is a make or break amount, then used is an alternative. I also believe VPI has upgraded the motor within the last year, so new should give you the latest motor. Be sure to ask.

FYI. Art Dudley reviewed the Scout a little over a year ago in Feb 03 Stereophile mag??, and HiFi +(England) prior to that if you want to do more research. I purchased my Scout when few reviews were available, mostly AA buzz and pre-production reviews of the design. Another forum member, Curmudgeon, purchased a Scout and mounted an RB300 arm which he seemed to like from what I gathered from a post of some time ago, but again, I felt to get the most from the Scout, the JMW arm is superior to the Rega RB300 arm, at least in it's stock form.

Feel free to drop me an email with any additional Scout questions regardless of what you decide to purchase. Always glad to help keep analog alive.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 5:55:00 PM jazman wrote:

----------------

On 5/5/2004 1:12:54 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

Jazman,

Thanks for the well thought out reply. It's very helpful. I'm leaning toward the Scout right now and it's good to get as many opinions and experiences as possible.

Can you give me a recommendation regarding a reliable retail outlet? I'd like to start shopping around and talking to some dealers.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

----------------

Gary,

I purchased my Scout from The Elusive Disc.(www.elusivedisc.com) You will likely deal with the owner Bob who is very knowledgeable and an analog enthusiast. The customer service is excellent, and if you purchase your table and cartridge from them, Bob will set up the cartridge and arm and and make sure it's operating properly before shipping out to you. I have no stock or get any discounts for what I'm saying. I simply like good customer service and dealing with knowledgeable, polite individuals. They also generally have Scouts "in stock".

As for used Scouts on Audiogon, at $1200 or $1250, generally 1 year old etc., it's really not much of a discount on what you may be able to negotiate on a new package with new warranty. There is one on now. If the $200-$300 is a make or break amount, then used is an alternative. I also believe VPI has upgraded the motor within the last year, so new should give you the latest motor. Be sure to ask.

FYI. Art Dudley reviewed the Scout a little over a year ago in Feb 03 Stereophile mag??, and HiFi +(England) prior to that if you want to do more research. I purchased my Scout when few reviews were available, mostly AA buzz and pre-production reviews of the design. Another forum member, Curmudgeon, purchased a Scout and mounted an RB300 arm which he seemed to like from what I gathered from a post of some time ago, but again, I felt to get the most from the Scout, the JMW arm is superior to the Rega RB300 arm, at least in it's stock form.

Feel free to drop me an email with any additional Scout questions regardless of what you decide to purchase. Always glad to help keep analog alive.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Jazman,

Elusive was the first place I looked. Looks like $1599 with the JMW arm. For that amount, I'd probably go new. I just have to decide, if that's the way I go, whether to use my existing Garrott which has about 100 hrs or go for the whole package. Maybe I'll call Bob tomorrow to chat.

Thanks again.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 3:57:48 PM sunnysal wrote:

media.nl?id=3434&c=ACCT106601&h=7b4f8a2d an absolute requirement for me is a dust cover...many of the top TTs these days do not have one...what a drag! guess I will have to buy one of the new thorens tables, they alsways have a dust cover...regards, tony

----------------

Sal,

Several styles of dust covers are available for the Scout, they simply are not part of the purchase as a package for many reasons. Some people want a cover that just covers the table top and arm, some want a cover that extends all the way to the shelf it rests on, which would includes covering the entire motor assembly. Since tonearms are by purchasers choice, some arms extend further over the rear of the table, so some may want the arm covered, some dont care if it extends through an opening in the cover, etc. I also know covers are available for the Clearaudio tables with much the same rational for many different configurations based on the choice of arms, isolation platforms, etc. The one size or one solution fits all does not apply once you get away from turnkey type implementations where every tables' configuration shipped from the fatory is the same, ala MMF's.

Klipsch out.

Gary,

I'm in Virginia. Sort of local (and no Md taxes...). Tim Stinson of Luminous Audio Technology (cables) has another business selling general Audio in Richmond and is a VPI dealer.

Bought my Scout from him last August--and he had a better price than Elusive.

I got the Scout w/ arm, VPI basic dust cover, and an Apollo wall mount turntable shelf (very nice--similar to Target, imported from UK by May Audio, c. $150 MSRP) for $1599. I wanted to use a Shure V15 so did not get the cart package option.

Can not recollect his other audio company name but if you go to the luminousaudio.com web site his phone and e-mail are listed--and under dealers you will see him list his own place (on Parham Rd.).

He will do set up. Will ship--or you can drive! I found him excellent to deal with.

One other nice thing with the Scout. If you ever get into old jazz.... The VPI conversion to handle 78's in addition to 33/45 is about $25! Then you can use the 78 eq option on the Scott--

And with the nice Lemo connector on the arm: a 78 mounted spare is easy to swap.

Good luck with the search.

Mark

You guys are too expensive for me!!!6.gif6.gif

I don't know how your wives support you. Do they have three jobs? I know that because of you "expensive" guys I just bought a VPI HW-19 on ebay for $399 and will be in enough trouble as it is.11.gif She'll be sooooo happy that I saved her over $1500!!!

Actually, although the guy's shipping is a little high it sounds like a great deal. He started with a BIN of 750 lowered it to 499 so I emailed him "can we talk"? He sent back that he lowered the BIN for me and I bit.

Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3095028599&category=64624&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Rick

----------------

On 5/6/2004 7:47:17 AM 3dzapper wrote:

You guys are too expensive for me!!!
6.gif6.gif

I don't know how your wives support you. Do they have three jobs? I know that because of you "expensive" guys I just bought a VPI HW-19 on ebay for $399 and will be in enough trouble as it is.
11.gif
She'll be sooooo happy that I saved her over $1500!!!

Actually, although the guy's shipping is a little high it sounds like a great deal. He started with a BIN of 750 lowered it to 499 so I emailed him "can we talk"? He sent back that he lowered the BIN for me and I bit.

Take a look:

Rick

----------------

3dzapper,

It's easy, my wife has no clue what I spend!11.gif

Tom

----------------

On 5/6/2004 8:08:47 AM Allan Songer wrote:

You did GOOD!

----------------

Thanks Allan. Coming from THE vinyl expert that means a lot. Do you know anything about that Sumiko arm? I know they market SME in the USA but nothing more.

Tom, When I had my business open I could do that. I had the checkbook, now that I am a kept man and all the money comes through the houshold accounts, I have lost the ability to hide. I do everything on one card and when the bill comes in she says " Do you know how much you spent last month?". "No dear"...."that much??!!" "OOps"6.gif2.gif

Rick

Why in the world would anyone marry somebody with whom they can not be open and honest? That would be among my definitions of hell...

I can no more conceive of not involving my wife in a decision about what speakers / amps / source components we're going to buy than a decision about what school to send our kid to...

My wife doesn't care what I buy or don't buy when it comes to audio, LPs, etc. She knows I wouldn't put us in the poor house over this stuff and has the "whatever makes you happy, dear" attitude that I see lacking in MANY of my pal's spouses (both male and female). In other words she TRUSTS and RESPECTS and LOVES me. Pretty cool.

She once told me "I know you'll never leave here because you've taken the time to surround yourself with things you really love." I almost cried . . .

Gary,

Look around BEFORE you buy the dustcover. I forgot to mention that my Champion came with one. The retail was $200 and the dealer knocked it down to $150. Later when looking for plexiglass polish (Novus, HIGHLY recommended), I happened on a shop that sold it and also fabricated custom plexiglass. The owner said he had fabricated many, many custom turntable dust covers and usually charged in $65-$75 range for far better quality than the oem covers readily available.

----------------

On 5/6/2004 11:59:45 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

Why in the world would anyone marry somebody with whom they can not be open and honest? That would be among my definitions of hell...

I can no more conceive of not involving my wife in a decision about what speakers / amps / source components we're going to buy than a decision about what school to send our kid to...

----------------

Ray Garrison,

I don't know what to say to your post. I guess women are from Venus, men are from Mars and you're from Uranus. JUST KIDDING, please don't get angry, couldn't resist...

Chris

I guess that post didn't really come out the way I intended so I deleted it.

My wife told me a while back, "Just don't tell me what you buy. If something just shows up and I don't know how much you spent, it doesn't bother me." She made the decision to let me do what I will. I've made some good purchases and profited from them over the past year also. I'm certainly not ahead but I'm not as far behind as I could be. To each his own. Far from hell Ray. We love and trust each other after 22 years of marriage but also have an understanding. Maybe your wife cares about amps and speakers and TTs. Mine doesn't and consulting her would be pointless.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the UPS truck pull up and deliver something my wife has bought from a catalog or over the internet without consulting me. Doesn't bother me. I just ask, "What did you buy now?" We both make good livings. Works both ways. We married young and struggled for many years. When you've been on food stamps and the WIC program, you certainly appreciate the ability to splurge once in a while when you've worked so hard to get where you are.

If I consulted her on my TT purchase, I'd end up with one of those fisher price units that m00n and Skonopa posted!2.gif

----------------

On 5/6/2004 1:02:24 PM StuDog wrote:

Chris,

Do you recall the name of that plexiglass shop and the city they were in?

Thanks

Stuart

----------------

Stuart,

If memory serves me, it was the Plastic Factory in Gardena, California. The other distributor contact Novus gave me back then was Victory Display, also in Gardena. I believe VD also fabricates custom Plexiglass/Arcylic enclosures.

Good Luck,

Chris

Today at lunch I listened to the VPI Aries I. A step above the Scout but similiar. Tomorrow I'm going to bring a couple lps of my own to demo. After listening to 1 rock and 1 classical, I wasn't overly impressed (dynaudio speakers and Mac SS reciever). I then found a Tony Bennett/Count Basie lp and it sounded magnificent. The cart was a low-end benz. I was extremely impressed but only with that 1 lp. I need some more demo time with my own stuff but I'm 1 step closer to the Scout for now (I think!).

Well, that wasn't so bad. She knows! When she came home from the college I had the stuffed peppers almost ready to go into the oven and previously I had filled up the new 1/2 wiskey barrel planter we bought yesterday. After a little small talk I said "remember when I said I was going to spend $1600 on a new turntable?" She"were going to spend, right?" I " Yes, I only spent $400."

The bump on my head isn't too bad and the swelling in my right eye will go down in a few days.14.gif Just kidding.2.gif She was cool.1.gif

Rick