Wow, what a cool looking turntable

m00n

----------------

On 5/3/2004 2:56:42 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 5/3/2004 2:41:40 PM garymd wrote:

m00n,

That's awesome!!!! How much do you want for it? Will you take a pair of corwalls in trade?
9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

You keep your paws off.
11.gif

9.gif

----------------

Isn't that the model used in elementary schools back in the day? I remember P.E. class doing jumping jacks to "Go You Chicken Fat Go Away" playing on one of those sweet TTs.3.gif9.gif

Guy's i have a hard time with price quotes when talking to you boys down south . Being in canada everything i have to offer as far as price should be cheaper down there .

The clear audio emotion was going for about $1200.00 ready to play and the vpi junoir was $1495.00 and the scout was $2500.00 all in canadian currency.

Patrick : As far as comparing with the rega's --- i'm not the person to answer that question with 100% technical advise. Personally i hate comparing equipment and usally go with what sounds good or right to my ears at the price point i'm after . I can't tell a 2k from a 10k , but others can so i'll let them chime in instead.

A table has way to many variables like the cart and the phono stage so it's sometimes hard to pinpoint where the weakness really is . Plus i don't have the expertise of say kelly or Allen that live on vignal.

----------------

On 5/3/2004 2:58:32 PM garymd wrote:

Bryan,

Actually, I believe you suggested the MMF7 as a good "intro" to analog. If the 9 is $1500 with cart, that may be a viable alternative for me.

Any thought on the MMF-9 vs. the Clearaudio's or VPIs? Can you get the latter 2 with cart for $1500 or would the cart set you back more $$$?

----------------

Gary,

You can pick up a used VPI Scout for $1200.00 with out a cart. If your looking to replace one of your current tables just reinstall the cart from your existing TT. The Benz Micro carts give me a boner, but they move to fast once there listed on Audiogon.

The Scout has simmered my desire to upgrade, imaging is so solid and soundstage so large and life like, its great, you can't go wrong.

Tom

It's true, that's chops' first Fisher-Price gear-wound 'table...never mistracked, but sounded like ka-ka...

This is the '79 Technics SL-1700MK2 that chops used up until last year (no acrylic here, right?). You just gotta dig the isolation dampening "tennis balls"...don't laugh, they worked!2.gif

P92205534.jpg

post-11084-1381925425049_thumb.jpg

Those were virgin tennis balls...these fuzzy balls have never been played with!3.gif

I don't know when 'tables went all acrylic, but I'm still fond of wooden plinths like my ol' Denon DP-62L (now sold).15.gif

dp62l.jpg

post-11084-138192542515_thumb.jpg

My Clearaudio Champion sounds great. At first I felt stupid and embarassed over how much it cost. Later, after considering what many people (myself included) spend on their homes for widow coverings, landscaping, carpeting, and other things that please the eye, it didn't seem so exorbitant. Not to mention, I expect it will give years upon years of enjoyment to my entire family.

Chris

Champion1.jpg

Nice looking table Chris! I assume by your post you're pleased with it and don't regret the expenditure. Can I ask how much you paid? You can pm me if you like. It's on my short list. Any other info you can provide would be great. Thanks.

Allan,

Don't think a 124 hasn't crossed my mind. I'm a little hesitant about spending a lot on a used table. Also, I know very little about TTs in gereral. There's no way I could change an arm for example. I love my 165 though and that's one of Thorens cheapo models.

I pretty much stopped lookng for or even THINKING about any other table after getting the TD-124 dialed in. I owned some pretty "high end" tables in the 1980's (Linn, SOTA) and bought the TD-124 just for the hell of it. I messed around with it for quite some time and have spent HOURS tweaking it but now I have to say it is the best table/arm/cartridge I have ever owned. There is SOME noise that perhaps some people coudn't get beyond, but DAMN! if this isn't the most musical combination I have ever heard. The SPU and 3012 SME has a lot to do with it OF COURSE, but the 124 is one of the few table that can handle that combo.

It's too bad that this stuff has rocketed in value in the last 3-4 years. Not that long ago you could pick up a TD124 for a $150 or so and and a nice 3012 for about the same. Now the pair might well set you back $750 or more. And then you'll need an SPU--figure on another $500 to get a decent one and have it retipped/rebuilt. And for $1200-$1500 there are LOTS of nice options.

----------------

On 5/4/2004 8:43:29 AM garymd wrote:

Nice looking table Chris! I assume by your post you're pleased with it and don't regret the expenditure. Can I ask how much you paid? You can pm me if you like. It's on my short list. Any other info you can provide would be great. Thanks.

----------------

Gary,

The more I hear it, the more I appreciate it. Not to mention, the after sale service has been great. However, I understand the same can be said for VPI. If I had it to do over again, I might go for the level below Champion. That would be the "Emotion" at about half the cost for the table. Also, the RB250 arm (when wired properly) is considered by many to be a bang for the buck leader among tonearms. Lastly, it's my suspicion that a low-medium output moving coil cartridge combined with a good, quiet phono stage really top things off when you're looking for a clean, detailed sound. However, some might find the sound in my system too "analytical" and forward. Last night I opened one of the latest Acoustic Sounds "Greatest Jazz Ever" series 45rpm records, Duke Ellington & Ray Brown's "This One's For Blanton". Holy scheisse! I thought the piano and bass were in the room! This is one great record.

TT cost

table - $1,500

arm - RB250 with "Six Stream" wiring, $350

cartridge - Benz Micro Ace low output moving coil, $450

I've seen similar rigs on Audiogon going for $1,200-$1,500. In fact there is an "Emotion" on there right now being sold by the same guy I bought my EAR 834P phono stage from.

Chris