Insane video-Super Mario 3 beat in 11 minutes.

I haven't checked the link you posted, but if it is the same one that went around awhile ago...Its a great video, unfortunately it is not a player actually beating it fairly. He used an emulator and tons and tons of save states, and played in slow motion. Still a really neat video, but not someone actually playing normally.

I especially like how the guy misses picking up the star card in that one level. Maybe he figured if he threw in one tiny little imperfection then it would cause people to think that he wasn't cheating:) That must have taken days of saves/loads to accomplish... the overall result is pretty entertaining to watch however. Actual accomplishments are a little more exciting though- I was able to pull off super metroid in 45 minutes back in '94 when I had my crazy teenager reflexes and hardcore video game-motivation. 16.gif

8.gif my bubble has been burst!

i saw this video back in the winter and i imagined this steely-eyed kid with bags under his eyes, skin as pale as milk, and reflexes of a cat...

not sure what an emulator is, if i had to guess, it is some sort of variant of the percolator and have no idea what "save states" are....unless you meant "slave states", but i think that was abolished quite some time ago in the US.

still makes me sad to think that there isn't a wonder geek out there that can do that. i remember timing myself playing games on the ole' original nintendo...and before that, the rare atari 5700.

anyone remember the 5700?

Wasn't it the 5200? I don't remember a 5700 but it is certainly possible there was one. I lost interest after awhile in video games, until Sega Dreamcast came out with House of the Dead 2 so I could kill zombies on my TV from my couch with a light gun. Now that is fun!!!!

I still have an original Atari 800 (not the XL) and that thing is still kickin'. Still uses the 5 1/4" disks on both the Atari 810 and Indus GT drives. Man what a TANK!!

It's a buddy's house and his 10 year old prefers it to any X-Box, Game Cube, Matel Intellivision, Coleco Arcade, PC, Mac or anything else that's out there.16.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2004 9:39:10 PM Tweek wrote:

people actually still have dialup?

in this day and age?

i was pretty sure dialup died 5 years ago, but maybe i was wrong
14.gif

----------------

Dude . . . wow . . . you know, there is a whole wide world outside the immediate vicinity of your house, and most of the people in it do not experience it the same way you do. One tiny indicator of that is that less than half the country has broadband. A somewhat more telling indicator is that this surprises you.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0403/

frzninvt,

maybe it was the 5200, it was a big slanted box, most all glossy black plastic with one button, the power button. the controllers looked like a mix between a brick cellphone and a stick style joystick.

i did love my moon-patrol (not mOOn-patrol)9.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2004 9:16:25 AM dgb wrote:

I still have it at home. Either it's free dialup or $49.99 for cable. I'm not on the net nearly enough to pay $50 extra a month. Especially when were on a backbone at work.

----------------

same reason it took two years to convince my wife. the only reason it passed was because we were no longer going to get free internet.

I've made a little internet comparison chart.

ISP data rate per American Dollar

AOL Dial-up: 2 Kbps

Netzero Dial-up: 4.9 Kbps

Earthlink Dial-up: 2.2 Kbps

Charter Cable: 77 Kbps

Earthlink Cable: 67 Kbps

Comcast and Road Runner Cable: 61 Kbps

Bell South DSL: 10 Kbps

DirecPC Satellite: 5 Kbps

------

AOL, Netzero, and Earthlink dial-up based on a connection speed of 49 Kbps (FCC Regulations limit dial-up to a max of 51 Kbps)

Bell South FastAccess DSL based on 256 Kbps plan

Combast, Road Runner, Charter and Earthlink Cable based on 3Mb plan

DirecPC Satellite based on 500 Kbps plan

-------

ISP monthly cost

AOL Dial-up: $23.90 *

Netzero Dial-up: $9.95 *

Earthlink Dial-up: $21.95 *

Charter Cable: $39.99

Comcast and Road Runner Cable: $49.99

Bell South DSL: $24.95

DirecPC Satellite: $99.99 (not including hardware cost and startup fee)

* = not including long distance charges if required

As you can see by this chart, Dial-up should be about $1 per month lol, but of course that will probably never happen.

Also yes I know that not everyone can get Cable or DSL because they are out of range, which is a shame. Expesually when a lot of people i'm sure could afford it. I used to be one of thoes people when I lived in Florida, I had the funds, but nobody offered broadband in my area.

Anyway, I hope you like the chart I made, I spent about 30 minutes on it researching ISP cost and service plans. 1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

actually, he missed that last star because you get more 1-ups, and it would add more time to the total play. SO actually, it's strategically correct, if it was done for real, which it wasn't.

For something really impressive, go to www.orsm.net (it's a real sleezy site) but there's a guy who does the theme song to super mario on an electric guitar (he does pipes, coins, dungeon, flag pole) you namme it, it's AMAZING

----------------

On 5/21/2004 10:08:53 PM schwock5 wrote:

For something really impressive, go to www.orsm.net (it's a real sleezy site) but there's a guy who does the theme song to super mario on an electric guitar (he does pipes, coins, dungeon, flag pole) you namme it, it's AMAZING

----------------

My step brother showed me that and it is SO awesome.