Record Cleaning Redux

lynnm

I received my Spin Clean Record Washer from http://www.garage-a-records.com today and cleaned about 50 LPs using 3 capsful of the concentrate supplied with the washer mixed as per instructions .

The results are outstanding on the LPs I have listened to ( This coming from a guy who has been obsessive about caring for his vinyl).

Well worth a look for those who cannot afford expensive record cleaning machines.

The kit sells for U$59.00

I'm having great success with my VPI 16.5, Record Research Labs Vinyl Wash, and Disk Doctor brushes.

How does the spin clean system keep the label from getting wet?

Is there any residue on the Stylus after playing with the spin clean? The combo I am using there is hardly NOTHING on the Stylus after playing a properly cleaned record.

The brushes on the Spin Clean are mounted vertically in the centre of the tray and the tops of the brushes are just long enough to reach the runout groove stopping just short of the label. The LP is slid in between the brushes and then turned by hand for about 4 turns in each direction. The record is then taken out and the excess fluid is allowed to run back into the tank. The final step is to wipe the record dry.

The solution does not appear to leave a film and the stylus has stayed clean while playing any of the LPs I have cleaned.

That certainly sounds like a nice setup you have for cleaning your LPs.

A followup review:

Two of the disks that I have cleaned were tantalisingly promising but unacceptably noisy on my system prior to cleaning with the Spin Clean . "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Gershwin Song Book Vol I" and 'The Canadian Brass ... "A Touch of Brass." Both sound like brand new after cleaning! Various other disks have benefitted greatly from cleaning with the Spin Clean Washer.

The Ella Fitzgerald disk was pressed ca. 1954 !

The Spin Clean is advertised as being a very quick and thorough record cleaner. It does a damned good job of cleaning but the speed claim is not really true. The ads suggest you can do 50 records an hour...If one is working alone that is pure BS ! The process is about as time consuming as purely manual cleaning but that said the results are definitely superior and actually as good as claimed by the maker.

Consumables costs are reasonable. The kit comes with a 4 oz. bottle of concentrate and based on my ( limited experience ) should be enough for about 500 disks. A 16 oz. bottle of concentrate sells for U$20.00.

The kit includes a couple of disposable wiping cloths which get unuseably wet pretty damned quick and given that good quality substitutes are available at your local hardware the washable wipes offered by the manufacturer are not really a good buy.

FWIW I will soon be ordering a couple of 16 oz. bottles of concentrate and a spare set of brushes.The brushes are priced at an expensive $15.00 a pair but given the design of the system would be well nigh impossible to replace otherwise should the need arise.

I rate the Spin Clean at 9 out of 10. It really is the next best thing to a motorised cleaner with a vacuum.

I must say as good as it is said that it works and the price that it is, I might go ahead and give a try. I have wanted a record cleaner for a while and I have been half way thinking of getting the Record Doctor II, but at $200. to clean maybe 20 or 30 of the records that I have that need cleaning the $59. seems a lot better and I have spent a lot of money on audio in the last few years and I have been trying to slow down my spending this year so this item looks like something that will save me some money on something I have wanted to get for a while and still do a good job.2.gif

There is nothing about the spin clean that would suggest that any other cleaner wold do a better job. I have a nitti gritty but I used to clean my records in the snk ising a method that is close to what the spin clean does. Believe me, if I had know about the spin clean I never would have bought the fancy one!

Josh

I have to admit the VPI 16.5 is a breeze to use. Even if I could get the job done cheaper, the VPI is too easy and convenient, especially when you collect lps. I don't spend the kind of time Allan does cleaning but I do get them very clean. It only takes a couple of minutes to clean one well (well enough for me that is).

I'm glad you found something that works well for you Lynn. It certainly makes a huge difference. Right now I'm listening to Dave Brubeck's "Newport 1958" and I hear nothing but music.1.gif

• 2 months later...

I wanted to open this thread again to see if lynn was still satisfied with this cleaner and if anyone else happened to purchase it.

I'm curious how the pads are holding up after a couple of months now and what would be recommended for a new purchase in the way of pads, fluid, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

I have cleaned a little over 200 LPs and have little over 1/2 left from the concentrate supplied with the kit. The speed claims in the testimonials are a tad optimistic but the results are very good indeed,( FWIW I find I am able to clean 30-35 disks per hour ). Figure on about 125 disks per ounce of concentrate. The kit includes a 4 oz. bottle of fluid.

The results are superb.

I would buy a VPI for the convenience and speed if I had the $$ but I doubt that the results would be appreciably better. The VPI is thorough and convenient but I simply cannot afford it.

In any event both systems will serve you very well.

A word of caution about VPI record cleaners. I have a 16.0. The problem with it is that the fluid is sucked into the base of the box which is made of particle board. The moisture eats the box. Basic fundamental flaw. I dont know how the later models are made but I would be suspicious.

Jim N

As you see from my last post I am very happy with my Spin Clean and recommend it.

As for the question re: wiping cloths

I have found that well used flannelette is the bomb!

I set up a table with a highly absorbant towel and place 8 LPs on it as they come out of the spin clean. These I cover with a second towel. I then gently pat the upper towel. The disks are then wiped dry with a flannelette cloth and then polished with a second cloth. Most come out looking and sounding like new.

Go ahead and order the Spin Clean you will not be disappointed.

Firstly, thanks for the review.

I have a fairly good assortment of LP's from those purchased new and treated with Ball Co's SoundGuard preservative, then played only for recording to cassette, to junkers with some mold and mildew and the signs of many poor playings from garage sales.

Would an automated cleaner like this one be much better than my old tried and true friend the DIscWasher II? Does it leave a radial line of grit where the spinner stops or is this vacuumed/brushed away? It might be worth it just to salvage a few old favorites that have seen better days.

I'd like to begin the process of recording my old faves from LP and 45 to Computer some day soon and any help in the cleaning and processing department would be most helpful.

The 16.5 has a stainless steel chamber that the fluid drains into, then (as new Khorn owner Gary mentioned) there is tube coming out the back to drain the chamber. I use an empty beer bottle, as it is a tight area back there, and I had one or two available...

My short attention span limits me to three albums per session on the VPI. I use home-made solution of 33% denatured alchohol, 67% distilled water with a couple of drops of diswashing detergent as a surficant, then rinse with distilled water. I use the VPI brush for cleaning and a cut down 3" paint brush for rinsing. Did I mention that I am cheap?2.gif

Denatured (Ethanol) alchohol is availiable at your local big box store in the camping/boating department. Look for stove fuel alchohol.

Rick