Troy

m00n

I saw it and would say it is very good. Maybe not excellent.

Worth seeing though.

Of course we know the plot and the ending. Hard to make a movie like that work.

Peter O'Toole pretty much steals the show. Odd how so many blue eyed blonds are playing characters from the east Mediteranian. Smile.

It is interesting that it is explained repreatedly that Achiles fights so that his name will go down in history.

But it is the trick at the end also has a name which goes down in history. I'd wondered why it is not called a Greek Horse. Perhaps it is that the Trojans made the blunder. You'd think they'd have known better. It is blamed on trying to please the gods.

Some theaters have it in digital projection. I saw the film version.

Best,

Gil

--------------

I'd wondered why it is not called a Greek Horse. Perhaps it is that the Trojans made the blunder.

--------------

The greeks transferred ownership of the horse to the trojans, thus making it the trojan's horse or just trojan horse.3.gif

moon i did go see it this last weekend, and i know you will love it, it does not have the usual special effects that we are accustomed to, but that is a big part of the charm of this movie, it is kind of a throw back to the good old days of cinema, it was a treat12.gif

Seen Troy yesterday. I really enjoyed it despite we had to sit WAY too close to the screen. I was a good movie, but I don't think it was on the same calibar as Lord of the Rings.

Anyone know if this is a TRUE story or not? I know there is a lot of Greek Mytholgy and what not written back then but I'm not sure if the story of Troy was mythology or real truth...

----------------

On 5/19/2004 4:29:57 PM m00n wrote:

Does brad pitt really go nude? I know my wife is looking forward to that, I need to know so I can send her out for popcorn at that moment... I don't need the comparrisons between brad and I.
9.gif

----------------

6.gif

If she compares you to this "fictional" persona just send her to get some popcorn fifty city blocks away. 2.gif

----------------

On 5/23/2004 10:07:48 PM m00n wrote:

Anyone know if this is a TRUE story or not? I know there is a lot of Greek Mytholgy and what not written back then but I'm not sure if the story of Troy was mythology or real truth...

----------------

I haven't seen the movie yet, but this is what I do know about the story.

The movie Troy is based on the epic tale called the Illiad by Homer (one of my favorite books). The existence of the city of Troy is real, but whether there was a great war between the Greeks and Trojans is still largely unproven. Personally, I believe the Trojan War actually did happen (minus the Gods). As with many tales of fiction, there often is a true story behind it.

As far as the movie faithfully following the events of the book - NO! Too much artistic license went into adapting this story to the big screen. For one, the armor is complete fantasy. Two, in the book, Achilles was not present in the horse as it was pulled into the walls. And three, my favorite characters in the book are Achilles and Ajax, yet I hear that Ajax is killed by that puss Paris (not the case in the book) and Achilles who is played by Brad Pitt is poorly cast for this role (blue-eyed, blonde Greeks?) Puleeez!

I've been waiting many many years for this story to come to the screen, but I'm not going into it with too many expectations.

I just saw a little of the documentary about Troy on either TLC or Discovery. You know the show where they get all kinds of experts together and try to figure out what really might have happened in an historical event?

I did see where they think the Trojan war was actually on a much smaller scale than what is generally believed meaning the armies weren't nearly as big. They even went to the trouble of building the horse and then hired some guys to try and stay in it and be quiet for 24 hours. The guys failed but they said that doesn't mean it couldn't have worked with more disciplined men such as well trained soldiers.

• 4 months later...

Just finished watching Troy on DVD. It's a good transfer with no artifacts or any other undesirables present. The sound quality is excellent.

The movie itself is long but the story holds up okay. The special effects didn't seem too bad - at least on DVD anyway. It's only when I looked too close that the execution became obvious. I question some of the actors choosen for their roles. Some seemed a little bland. Peter O'Toole was a standout and Orlanod Bloom, I thought, was good as well. Brad Pitt was..., Brad Pitt. Competent.

Worth getting out on DVD if you haven't already done so.

----------------

On 10/21/2004 10:08:53 AM edwinr wrote:

Just finished watching Troy on DVD. It's a good transfer with no artifacts or any other undesirables present. The sound quality is excellent.

----------------

How did you watch the DVD....It's not scheduled for release until

Jan.5 2005?

----------------

On 10/21/2004 11:01:07 AM gcoker wrote:

----------------

On 10/21/2004 10:08:53 AM edwinr wrote:

----------------

Jan.5 2005?

----------------

Yes indeed. I'm curious as well.

----------------

On 10/21/2004 8:13:49 PM Flason wrote:

Jan.5 2005?

----------------

Yes indeed. I'm curious as well.

----------------

My guess is that release dates "Down Under" are different than here in the states.

----------------

You are probable right but why? Nothing aginst anyone form down under but

it's such a small maket compaired to the US

• 2 months later...

I watched the DVD tonight....borrowed someones rental...Full screen YUCK

not bad....entertaining.....Not as good as gladiater in my book....

I Will buy it when used....

I think some of the computer generated soldiers were over done...as way too many of them....

they had like 10-20 boats on the beach...and about 50,000 men already on shore....?

They burnt one body in a funeral pire....and I could see the wax body driping to ground.....these types of things kinda made it less spectacular..

Also...for me Brad Pitt should not have been achillies....He is not in my mind what I picture Achillies....

• 4 months later...