Klipsc owners with SVS???

basse

Hello folks,

it seems like the users on this forum has the RF-7s and................. SVS subs? Not Klipsch RSW???

Is the SVS so much better? What is better with SVS? Are they less expensive or are they...?

I thought the RSWs was some of the best subs in that price range?

This system goes on and on and on..... Why?

1.gif

basse: I for one, do have RF-7s and an RSW-15 and no SVS subs. However, when I made my purchase I was unaware of SVS subs until I joined this forum. I will tell you this; I have not yet had the pleasure of listening to any SVS subs, but I am told that they are excellent by forum members that have them. I am very pleased with the way my RSW-15 performs in my room with my RF-7s. One person who knows a lot about subs is THE EAR. Hopefully he'll chime in here and provide some useful insight. I do know this; fellow forum member Michael Hurd visited my house two weekends ago and he said he was quite impressed with the performance of my RSW-15. And a I do believe that Mike HAS heard (or is it "Hurd" 9.gif Sorry , Mike I could not resist) SVS subs before. I'm sure a lot of a sub's performance has much to do with a room's design and not just its "brand name". IMHO: I think if you were to decide to purchase either a Klipsch reference sub or an SVS sub that you would be in good company and not be disappointed. Let your own ears be the judge. Best of luck! -Picky 2.gif

The thing with SVS is their price tag to performance ratio. I was shopping both the RSW12 and the SVS 2039 PC+. I was able to listen to the RSW at a local store and was very impressed. However, when I compared the significant difference in price I was leaning toward the SVS. Normally I would never buy something without auditioning it, but after spending a lot of time on this forum and not finding one negative comment about SVS, I ordered it. Once I had it connected I couldn't believe the performance of this sub. My dad was in town one weekend and took a listen, he is now a believer and just ordered one himself.

My suggestion to you is visit www.svsubwoofers.com and take a look at the specs on their products.

basse: I agree with Drew in the desert. I have noticed the price-to-performance ratio learn towards the SVS-side. My RSW-15 was pricey, but again, I judged it purely on it's perfomance as I did not know about SVS as an alternative at the time. audiophile in AZ gives you some good advice in his above post.

i also have read good things about SVS's price-to-performance ratio...

i have the Klipsch RSW-15, and have on demo their RW and RSW line and they also provide a very good price-to-performance ratio-especially if you can get a dealer to 'work' w/you on price2.gif

i could NOT want for more or a better sub than the RSW-15 i have in MY ht room, and i have many customers who have been very pleased w/the RW and RSW subs they have bought from me.

also,MY price on the RSW-15 was very good(and so are the prices i sell LOCALLY to my customers)2.gif

avman.1.gif

The RSW line are fine subwoofers.

In my case, my HT room is gigantic, so I chose a pair of SVS Ultra plus for my HT.

I have found the SVS is a better match with Heritage than Reference. Oh, Boy, do I feel a stong reply comming on from TBrenen for that comment.

Maybe I would be better stating, if you do not have room for a gigantic bass horn, the SVS is the next best thing for Heritage. Is that better Tom?1.gif

JM

I'm sure that tom will chime in that the direct 12" radiators are no match for the fully horn loaded woofers in the belle/lascalla/k-horn.

I have heard Noz's setup with dual Svs Cs ultra's and dual stacked lascalla's, and the bass was effortless and powerful. Woofer technology has changed a lot over the years, and distortion levels have dropped considerably, with the advent of finite element analysis, special coil winding techniques,and shorting rings.

That said, a fully horn loaded woofer will output more volume with much less cone movement, thus the lower distortion. Direct radiators have more distortion, and to get distortion to a level that is comparable with a horn, you have to have multiple direct radiators. To keep up with the output of a belle / lascalla / k-horn, there are very few subwoofers that can do the job with appreciable distortion levels, near the maximum volume levels that the belle / lascalla / k-horn can produce.

I personally think (just an opinion guys, no flaming) that Klipsch's specialty is their horns. That is what I like about them and that is why I bought them. I originally had a Klipsch sub and it could not produce enough bass to keep up with the 7 other speakers. I wanted a more tactile presence from my sub as well as more output. It was mostly noticed during HT applications but occasionally with music. At that point I went with SVS. They specialize in subs. I figured the rabid following they had on the net couldn't be all hype. Now I could not imagine ever buying a different brand. They blend extremely well for music and have no problem with the sub 20Hz stuff that you occasionally find on DVD's. Carl

basse-

Although I don't have Reference 7s, I do have a SVS CS-Ultra. I purchased when SVS was just getting started, and sent many emails to TomV @ SVS to try and select the best one for my room & speakers. At the time I had a KSW-12, and many memebers on this forum will agree that this sub just can't keep up with the Reference speaker line. So a low distortion sub was a priority, SVS easily filled that requirement. The advantage of SVS is that they have excellent preformance, expandability, tweakability, reasonable price, and top notch customer service. An almost unbeatable combination!

-Dave

PS: TomV from SVS ownes Klipsch speakers, IIRC, Hershey, so they blend very well with Klipsch.

I don't have RF-7's, but have demo's both SVS and RSW-15's. To answer your questions directly:

Is the SVS so much better?

Depends on what your needs are...see next

What is better with SVS?

They generally have more power, dig deeper, are user tunable and give much more bang for the buck. Blends outstandingly with Klipsch speakers.

Are they less expensive or are they...?

Similar to the above, quite a bit less expensive. For what you may pay retail for just an RSW-10 or 12, you can purchase an SVS PB2+ that would absolutely destroy either of those models or even a pair of them.

I thought the RSWs was some of the best subs in that price range?

Not when it comes to SVS for performance. It's just what SVS does. Klipsch makes great full range speakers for the price and SVS makes great subs for the price.

PS: I wonder if anyone has ever returned an SVS sub because they were disappointed with it's performance.

Being an RSW-15 owner and having never heard an SVS sub it's hard to compare, but I honestly can't imagine having more bass than what comes out of those reference series subs. They are incredible. For my personal taste, any more bass than what a single RSW can put out is just overkill, but that is dependant upon room size of course.

Some bass-heads will probably disagree, but I have to draw the line, I think I've lossed a little bit of my hearing due to this sub. You really have to dial the gain down on these babies.

So SVS owners ... what is the consensus? Are SVS subs really that much better? Are they more musical than the RSW's? Or do they just move more air?

Be curious to hear one someday ...

I own the RF-7s and a pair of RSW-15s. I have never heard SVS subs, and wouldn't buy one without hearing it first, even if everyone says they are great. I'm not trying to be argumentitive, but a lot of people say they've auditioned the RSW-15, and I wonder how many of them "auditioned" it in their own home. I'll tell you this much... the RSW-15 that I heard in my local store wasn't all that impressive, but when I got the sub home, I was blown away.

And yes, I do have a friend who purchased a SVS sub (don't know which model) and raved about how good it was for a little while, but then sent it back. (He already had, and still has dual RSW-15s). I don't know why he returned it, but I'm sure it wasn't because he couldn't afford it.

I would never say anything negative about the SVS subs, because I've not heard them myself, but like the others here, I can't imagine needing more than I have, although there were these Martin Logan Descents....

One other thing to keep in mind is size: SVS are really huge subs, so this might be a problem for some, especially in smaller apartments. I have never heard an SVS so no comments on their performance. I did hear RSW-15 perform in a RF7 setup a few times at my local Klipsch dealer's showroom and it was very impressive.

Btw, most people here mean cylinder SVS subs when they mention them, but as you might know SVS launched "box" type subs as well.

Also, you mentioned Norway - I am not sure if SVS will sell directly to Norway, but even if they do, the shipping charges and customs clearance might be enormous.

I thought that I had seen the SVS in Norway before but not sure....

I am a dealer in my hometown on a private bases..... Maybe Ill take contact with SVS and imorting it to Norway!! :)

Have to look around first, or Ill just ask SVS if they have a importer in Norway.

Is it the sylinder subs that is the best ones or is it the boxes? I see many are using the cylinder subs, but...?

Thanks.

Which for the RF-7's?

That all depends on your listening preferences. With the output they're capable of I'd want to match them up with at least an SVS PB2-isd or a plus, but that's all up to you.

Is it overkill?

Not at all. The capabilities of the SVS subs are that they have so much power and capability that they sound effortless. It may actually sound a little bit quieter at first (depending on how flat your previous sub was) but where they shine like no others do is below 25 Hz. Mine is calibrated 3-5 dB hot for movies and I never have the gain past 40% (maybe once in a while for a demo:). I don't want to shatter my coffee table!

Shipping charges?

I don't have the foggiest idea, but those great guys at SVS will know. Shoot them an email.

Cyllinders or boxes?

They're all capable of great output, but the larger boxes are capable of the most. It all depends on your listening preferences. Most of them are made for a specific purpose so you'll want to read through the descriptions. I found my great compromise to be the PB2+ as it was capable of great SPL and also user tunable down to 16 Hz (but it plays lower still...I get output to 12 Hz). Keep in mind the boxes can be large which is one reason they're so able to do the things they do.5.gif

----------------

On 5/18/2004 10:45:26 PM toddvj wrote:

I'll tell you this much... the RSW-15 that I heard in my local store wasn't all that impressive, but when I got the sub home, I was blown away.

----------------

i can tell you that the RSW-15 in my store does NOT sound as good as it does in my ht room at home. don't get me wrong-it sounds good in the store,but at home,the bass is more pronounced and deeper(Hz).

i beleive this is due to room size and shape as my ht room has a longer dimension to it than the demo room at work.

I definitely could NOT use more bass than the RSW-15 and legend combo i have at home puts out,and rarely run the volume knob on the sub past 1 o'clock.

avman.

I have two SVS subs, 16-46 SC+ & 16-49 PC, that are placed beside my Belles. I use a Marchand MX-44 2-way crossover set at 70Hz for the low and high positions. The high side of the crossover drives the Belles and the Low side feeds the subs. The sound is excellent. I also have the 48dB slope, ie. "Extreme Slope", at the crossover point on the Marchand. The result is that the Belles run down to 70HZ and the SVS subs take it down from there. I find the SVS subs to match very well with the Belles and I purchased both of them second hand from listings on AudiogoN so the cost-to-performance ratio is excellent. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/19/2004 11:03:31 AM avman wrote:

I definitely could NOT
use more bass than the RSW-15 and legend combo i have at home puts out,and rarely run the volume knob on the sub past 1 o'clock.

avman.

----------------

I have mine set at 10-11 o'clock, and if I want more, I adjust the levels on my receiver. In other words, I have mine at less than half volume, and it is PLENTY.