Not that I ever would, but how crazy would it be...

jdm56

...to get rid of a gorgeous pair of k-horns and matching belle center speaker, in favour of going to a matched 5-7 channel surround rig?

The thing is, sure, I love the big horns, but I also love multi-channel tunes, and I'm thinking it is sure hard to really do multi-channel right with these big boys, in an average size room. To say nothing of the expense of two more belles for the side surrounds.

So I'm basically just thinking about this, and wonder just how crazy and/or idiotic is it? Would anyone in their right mind even consider it? If I made a change, I would of course do lots of comparitive listening to different models), but at the outset I'd be leaning towards five klipsch rc7's, using my rs7's for back surround duty. SVS or klipsch subs. Whaddya think?

Hmmm...

Why don't you go with a heritage 5.1 or 7.1.

Use cornwalls or heresys as the rears/surrounds.

Heresys don't take up much room.

I have four rather large speakers (cornwalls and commercial cornwalls) and a heresy size center (klipsch kp 2000c)in a room about 12' x 14'.

Of course, my wife (and everyone else) says I'm crazy for that and, of course, my coworkers think I am crazy for having a pair of cornwalls in my office.

I would think you would be crazy to get rid of your current heritage set-up. But if you are getting rid of them cheaply, let me know :^)

- Lee

For some reason I had that same crazy notion not to long ago, however my plan was to go with 5 RF-7's and 2 RC-7's or RB-75's. However, I came to my senses thank goodness. I would use a nice pair of La Scala's and a pair of Heresy's or Heresy II's in the rear, or a pair of Cornwalls & Heresy's. I have Khorn Mains with a La Scala Center and four Cornwalls in the rear and I can assure you one thing, 5 RC-7's would not come close for multi-channel audio or DVD movies as far as sheer clean & detailed output is concerned.

I finally had the opportunity to run the system at reference level yesterday since the wife and daugther were out and about and all I can say is WOW! If you have never heard Khorns, a La Scala, and four Cornwall II's going at the same time at near reference level, not to mention the two 15" subwoofers it is truly something to behold. It seems like the Corns really start to open up when the juice gets flowing. A total of nine 15" drivers in a 16' X 15' X 10' room is just sick! Trust me just add more Heritage! Even if it has to be two pairs of Heresy's.

As you can see the Heritage is a cherished sound. I agree with the others don't sacrifice you K-Horns and Belle unless you are going to give them to me. 2.gif You can fill with Heresies or Cornwalls and have a spectacular sounding array for both HT and multichannel music. I would go to the extent to say that the Heritage is the overwhelming choice especially for multichannel music. The Reference is a great sounding system but the Heritage is still the flagship of the Klipsch collection.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought the response would be. The worst thing is, if I gave up the heritage at this point in life, there'd be no going back anytime soon. I'm afraid I'd just be sick about it.

But dang, these boys do take up some room! I mean, a 2 k-horn / 3 belle rig is possible, but somethings gonna have to give. I've got three CD cabinets, each one's over 3' wide. My equipment cabinet and LP cabinet are each 4' wide. And right now the futon is on the back wall, so as you can imagine, in a 16x18.5 room there is not much extra wall space.

But I know y'all are right. I just wanna go all heritage, or all reference at this point. I guess I should sell the RS-7's, eh? I can get a new pair of heresy II's in raw oak for about $800...get'er done!10.gif

Just another testimonial for the 'don't do it' camp! Like you and many others, I have the cornerhorn/belle front. I added cornwalls for surrounds then added another belle for the rear center. This 6 channel setup in my opinion was just about as sweet as it gets, losing nothing (again IMHO) to a 7 channel setup. However, after a while, the cw's started getting annoying...so I replaced them with yet another set of klipschorns.

Current setup is all 4 corners sporting 50's era klipschorns, a front center belle and a rear center belle, and the weakest link, a KSW200 sub tucked up near the front. The weakest link will be replaced with the mighty SVS soon....pondering whether the 16-46 or the 20-39 would be best to integrate with the current all large heritage sound.

I listen to multi-channel DVD-A and SACD's wide open - that is to say full sound going to all speakers...no crossover to the sub and I have not heard a sweeter setup although as you can see I am slightly biased.....movies will likewise part your hair.

Good luck!!

jdamn,

How crazy? Very. I can NOT comprehend a lot of things: neutrinos traveling faster than light, fusion from a hydrogen isotope, the existence of the universe, the statistical certainty NOT just of another intelligent life-form, but probably a million of them, and also, people who dont love big ole horns or get something else!

3.gif

In my own humble opinion, the emotion of the music is tied in with the dynamics of the notes. Nothing plays this better for less money than big ole horns. We can create a wonderful home movie and music reproduction system for a couple thousand dollars when traditional loudspeakers and front-end equipment cost several times that...

In light of the responses so far I think I'll be the first one to say "get rid of the OLD Khorns and Belle" and get your self a Reference setup.

I also realise you'll have a hard time finding a home for these old beasts, so I'll send you my mailing address a little later tonight... 9.gif

Seriously though... very few multi-channel recordings push the surround channels anywhere near the mains... so if space is an issue, it is my opinion that Cornwalls or even Heresys would be a perfect compromise.

later...

Rob

ed,

yeah, let's see some pix!

Danny & Rob,

gosh, thanks for the offer. you'd really do that for me? i feel such love. i think i'm going to weep.2.gif9.gif

yeah Rob, I think I'm leaning to the heresy compromise. unless of course, i come across a good deal on a pair of oak/oil belles!10.gif

"Seriously though... very few multi-channel recordings push the surround channels anywhere near the mains... so if space is an issue, it is my opinion that Cornwalls or even Heresys would be a perfect compromise."

Man Rob...I hear you talking...in fact I had those same thoughts and started with Khorns up front with belles for the centers and 'yes', CW's for surrounds. It was very nice at first. However....I have to say with both bias and prejudice...there's something very magical about Khorns and even well setup Belles. For all their weight and size they seem to produce a sound quality that 'floats'. I don't know how else to describe the sensation. In contrast, my CW's seemed to have a sound that was anchored to the ground. Loud, powerful, rife with bass, yes. But at the same time more similar to say...a rock concert stack of speakers. The difference to me is strikingly evident when playing multi-channel DVD-A's and SACD's where in many cases equal amounts of sounds are emitted throughout the whole 'stable' of speaks. If your listening is limited to mainly movies, I would agree that perhaps a pair of CW's will suffice for the rears.

Still working on those pics, been busy the past few evenings. I won't forget....