Best Female Vocalist

"She could only sing when whe wore the white boots though!"

LOL. Nancy Sinatra's voice is stunning nonetheless! Add Norma Jean (aka Marilyn Monroe) to the list; her voice is addictive like heroin.

For rock, Stevie Nicks is ABSOLUTELY the best, period!

when I asked myself the question above, Linda Ronstadt also came to mind, but Krall was the one I would be excited to hear her do new stuff, Ronstadt can, I know, but Krall would be the one who would make it interesting and delectable!

Dinah Washington singing either "Teach Me Tonight" or "What A Diff'rence A Day Makes"

Molly Johnson (Canadian) - older style of jazz numbers

Diana Krall - I saw her at the Hummingbird Centre, Toronto two nights ago. Her four piece band (piano, guitar, drums and bass) was wonderful, full of talent and able to play ballads as well as pounding the ivories on a blues number. Her voice sounds much better on album than it did on this night, but her piano playing was fantastic.

No mention of Rosemary Clooney, not one of my favorites but still a nice voice. I've got the hots for Allison Krauss's voice and body. Since she found relief from her medical problem she's really looking good these days. I guess she's my favorite female voice of the last ten years.

Grateful11

Linda Ronstad is also a favourite of mine. I remember seeing her live when she performed at a TV station in Windsor Ontario and where I worked for a summer as a cameraman. At the time she performed with a group called The Stone Pony.

Celine Dion has a very good voice but I do not enjoy her singing as she insists on doing everything at full screech which I find becomes tiring to listen to.

Colin, Colin!!! Put on Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue" and then, with a straight face, tell me that Krall's range and vocal smoothness can even approach Patricia Barber's!! Not to say that Krall isn't good BUT........2.gif

yeah, I own all her CDs, I hope, but only one Ronstadt, still Krall is the one who has such deliberate and showy phrasing that I would love to see what she does with old jazz classics and Costello's new tunes. from this list here, I can see that there are many more I need to check out, wish there was a Best Female Rock or Jazz collection...

Cwm, gentleman that you are, post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions and front-end equipment in your system profile before you go to bed (or is it to work?), this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers

Diana Krall is very good but please, do yourself a favor and try something featuring Helen Merrill. I never knew who she was until Allan talked about her in a jazz thread sometime last year. Now I have to agree with him. She is simply the best female jazz singer ever.

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" on EmArcy

Helen Merrill "Dream of You" EmArcy

Helen Merrill "The Nearness of You" EmArcy

Again, going back to HP's original question..."the most beautiful voice", I would draw a big distinction between "most beautiful" and best. Or favorite, or any other qualifier one might use. At least to me. When I think of a "beautiful" voice, I think mainly of tonal characteristics. Things like phrasing, expressiveness, range, control, etc don't really factor in too much.

I already offered six names (Ronstadt, Yearwood, Krauss, Harris, Cassidy and Houston) as some of the most beautiful voices, in my opinion. But now I'd like to name off a few favorites:

Holly Cole -- Surely one of the most expressive singers around. She has more colors in her pallette than about anyone I've heard.

Norah Jones -- Not much in the way of dynamics, but there is just something about her voice, that when she sings "Come away with me, in the night" I would follow her to the end of the earth. A sex thang?3.gif

Emmylou Harris -- The very definition of plaintive. I just wish her voice wasn't shot.

Eva Cassidy -- Power, control, range - WOW

Rhonda Vincent -- The girl was born to sing bluegrass. Nobody ('cept Alison K) comes close!

I was just listening to Birgit Nilsson.

B000002SE0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't know if I'd call it "beautiful", but she certainly has one of the most spectacular voices I've ever heard.

Sort of like the difference between getting goosebumps from listening to a sultry, sexy, romatic voice and feeling like your skin is being flayed from your body by the raw, naked power of this unleashed energy.

Has anybody ever listened to Delerium? Their album "Karma" features Kirsty Thirsk (lead singer of Rose Chronicles) in several of their songs, including Enchanted, Wisdom and T'il The End Of Time. I think "Wisdom" displays her vocal abilities the best, but she sounds excellent either way!

If you've never heard either Delerium or Kirsty Thirsk before, now is as good a time as any to check them out. I'm sure you wont regret it!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... Sarah McLachlan is also on this album. She sings in "Silence". Another excellent singer in my book!

delerium.jpg

boomac, Stevie Nicks a typo????? You have to be kidding me. Amanda Marshall, Natalie Merchant, Martha Davis, Ann Wilson, Carole King, and of course Cyndi Lauper are a few of my favorite voices, all beautiful in there own way. I suppose with all the tornadoes we've been having around here lately I better throw in Judy Garland too.