The beginning of the End.....

Hopefully things will settle down shortly. I'm personally hoping it's just an ackward alignment of Neptune, Betelgeuse and 3rd moon of Jupiter, or maybe a whole flock of butterflies flapped their wings in unison somewhere in the Amazonian Rain Forest. This forum is too valuable of a learning tool to lose, I just hope we don't lose the contributors that make it such.

C & S,

Hope you are wrong about that. And I'm sure you hope you are wrong, too. However, it is proper to be aware that that communities go through seasons and they have lives. ie. They have lives that can be long or short. Destructive influences can destroy.

You are correct in saying it requires "delicate balance". Communities require mutual respect, nurture, deliberate hospitality and disciplined communication on the part of the participants.

Even in my own humble experience, I've noticed that I can't stomp around in the flower bed AND still have flowers.

The Klipsch forum is the rarest place I've run across on the internet. Hope it hangs together. I'm not ready to give it up or see it slide.

Yep, you can't even say anything here anymore without getting jumped on (can't wait to see response to that comment). I try to avoid all non-audio related threads on this forum, as they don't belong here (as well as other obvious reasons), but now the flame wars and attitude has spread into the audio threads. Even useful, friendly threads quickly turn sour. I remember a time where you use to be able to come here and ask questions and get curtious help.

Now, it seems everyone has their own agenda here. I don't find it enjoyable anymore, I mostly read and shake my head. It has become a bore.

Too bad.

-PB

C&S : Yup !! the olny difference between the " NEW " klipsch forum and the AVS forum is the colours. I've been ban'ed from that place for telling the moderator to go pound sand and mind there own business . I don't have that problem here and have nothing against amy or trey " but " when the mods have to jump in like cops and offer there opinion on the direction of every topic heading then it's time for me to depart . Thats when a forums is no longer a forum .

----------------

On 6/11/2004 5:36:30 PM pierceb wrote:

"Yep, you can't even say anything here anymore without getting jumped on (can't wait to see response to that comment)..."

----------------

Simple solution...don't say anything that will provoke others.2.gif

FWIW

Overall the level of moderator activity has been reasonable here. For a time the mods almost never stepped in and things went over the top ( BTW I admit to having been one of the guilty in the past ).

The mods are patrolling a little more seriously of late and I applaud the change.

Politics and religion are legitimate topics in non - audio forums but do not belong here anymore than a discussion of speaker cables or tube amps vs. solid state would be appropriate in forums devoted to politics and/or religion. In addition those topics tend because of their emotional loading to devolve into nasty personal attacks and demonisation of those who are blind to the truth,( Whatever that truth may be in the eye of the enlightened at any given moment ).

The question of censorship is utterly a red herring. We as forum members are not the owners of this forum.We are guests of Klipsch.

This forum is provided by Klipsch/ owned by Klipsch/paid for by Klipsch/and the reputation of Klipsch can be effected by the content of posts here. As far as I am concerned If I am invited to visit someone's home or place or business I understand that I will be expected to conduct myself in a manner that not only does not unduly disturb my host but further that my behaviour will not reflect negatively on my host.

I respectfully disagree with the non-audio nonsense. Forum is becoming boring? Of course it is; it is moving towards that 'narrow' focus C&S mentions. It makes everything one dimensional. You can only listen to a person rant & rave about their new equipment so many times. An answer to a question is only informative the first hundred times you read it. People complaining because the topic doesn't suit them or they take offense (often erroneously) with the wording in some post gets old, and yes, boring.

I prefer to broaden my horizons and not restrict them. I prefer intelligent discourse regardless of topic. Is it Klipsch's forum? Absolutely. Is it worth anything without content and the members who post here. Not one bit.

It makes one long for the old days before the Internet was commercialized when we policed ourselves. You followed Netiquette or paid the price. Personal accountability. Now we rely on others. It is a sad commentary. Be careful what you wish for with regards to censorship - in any form.

Enough of this nonsense. Can anybody point to a strictly audio thread that is of interest? I need something else to read and think about it.

----------------

On 6/11/2004 7:03:33 PM jt1stcav wrote:

----------------

Simple solution...don't say anything that will provoke others.2.gif

----------------

Right!!! Just look what you've MADE me do!!!

9.gif9.gif9.gif

"I was provoked" will be the new "I can't be held responsible for my own actions" excuse.

Well, I guess there will still be the, "but I'm in love" excuse for turning your family life into a train wreck!14.gif

Oh boy - was I the naughty one on Friday or what? This is the first thread I have read today that I can actually reply to!

Not only did I close threads - I think at least one of my posts from yesterday was deleted - pity - fabulous business offer from Nigeria - ah well - should have kept a copy in my mail box I suppose.

I guess we are going through a bit of a tough time of late. Hopefully it will all settle down and we will be back to days of old - often discussing completely non-audio politically sensitive topics in a very responsible way (remember the Lesbian marraige post - 4 or 5 pages from memory - and a model of decorum despite some very contrary views).

Ami has to make the calls - and we either live with that or walk. Frankly if she has been a little over-zealous on ocasion I for one can take that in my stride and move on (although at this rate I might get myself banned). I think I will now hand back the reigns of thread closer extraordinaire to its rightful place (Fini).

Now Fini - if you would be good enough to add a closing witisism Ami can complete the task....

FWIW - I've not been here for as long as other members, but I have noticed that a there are a fair number of "new" members all the time. Maybe this is just a transition phase. Welcome some new blood, let things settle down from some fairly heated exchanges, and I look forward to the results.

We have a sticky problem here. On the one hand, we would like to be able to have creative discussions in which novel ideas can be hyperlinked to the topic at hand during a discussion, much like the internet itself, but on the other hand we have to deal with "terroists" who cannot resist hurling personally offensive material into the fan.

Last night, for the first time since my return to the world of ham radio, I encounted such a "terrorist" . Bare with me a moment here since I believe that the problem of the FCC regulating the airwaves is analogous to our situation on the forum.

I put out a CQ on 40 meters, only to be answered by an idiot who would did not identify himself and then proceeded to hurl gratuitious insults and obscenities. I asked him to identify with a call sign, he didn't so I immediately stopped the communication. Then I moved over to another frequency and he followed me there and continued the harassment. The jerk was purposely ruining ham radio for no apparent reason.

The problem is that now there are alot of inexpensive used radios in the marketplace and the FCC cannot apparenty keep up with policing these illiterate unlicensed "terrorists" tresspassers who want to spoil things just for kicks or maybe out of anger or self loathing because they cannot or will not pass the test for a license.

It is very difficult, but not impossible, to track down these offenders, but that is a drag and would take time. Some alternatives I have thought of are to switch communications to CW (morse code) figuring that for sure that will keep this riff raff at bay, and switching to more obscure bands and more obsure hours of operation.

My point is that spoiling a forum or spoiling the airwaves is analogous to terrorism and some sickos cannot seem to resist the criminal temptation.

Regarding the forum. Its simple. Leave all discussions alone however controversial or apparently off topic, but censor or edit out only the ad hominem insults and obscenities. It is easy to tell the difference.

Attempting to anticipate this by censoring ideas before they have had a chance to invite actual "terrorism" is wrong and will only make this the "Amy" forum, not the public Klipsch forum we have grown to enjoy. Known antipathies and personal enemies will have their obvious fighting nipped in the bud. Creative discussions, however hypertextual, should be left alone so as not to curb the bounds of creativity and intellectual entertainment.

If you do not like a subject or where it has drifted, don't read it.

Censor the terrorism, not the hot topics or controveries for this is human nature and a healthy and educational thing actually.

C&S

Oops! I better copy this post and save it otherwise my time and energy writing here might end up in the garbage and I will not be able to retrieve it. Paranoia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you a radio operator C&S? that's neat! My older brother and dad are both expert class guys, and I grew up listening to them hammer out CQ in code!

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- all day long it seemed! da-di-da-dit, da-da-di-da, da-di-da-dit, da-da-di-da. I remember it clearly!

They only do voice now, and my dad has lately been operating mobile -- on his horse! He's building a transceiver for this, and some how figured out a way to attach an antenna to the Sharif's (his horse)bottom. Do you have a picture of your rig?

edit: I was glad Amy shut down my thread, and I thanked her for it.

Mobile radio on horseback.....hmmm...had not heard of that before. This would work ok for the higher vhf and uhf frequency bands and could be done easily with a small hand held transceiver, however, with most HF bands the ground plane of the metal car roof or the entire car is usually necessary and I am not sure how that would be achieved on horseback... unless you strung a long wire between two horses....

C&S