A beginner's tube amp

The more and more I think about it, the more I want to get a tube amp for my Cornwalls. The problem is, being a college student I can't exactly jump for a high end Mcintosh because the cash flow isn't quite up to that level yet. Is there any type of at least decent tube amp that would run around $200-$300 on the used market? Or any other suggestions you guys may have? I apologise, but I know nothing about tubes at this point. Thanks. 1.gif

----------------

On 6/15/2004 12:04:48 AM T_Shomaker wrote:

If you don't get it rebuilt you should probably not leave the room while it is on. It won't sound as good as a rebuilt one or be as safe.

----------------

Blast... well if that's the case I probably can't afford to do that right off the bat, so I may just hold off on it then until I can get a better job... anyone else have some opinions?

Check ebay for a Scott 222 or 222B, they usually sell for under $200, as do the 200 and 200B. These will need to be rebuilt because they are over forty years old.

Also check for 80's Luxman integrated amplifiers. You can usually pick one up for under $300, and it shouldn't need a rebuild, it is a more recently made amplifier with reliable parts.

There are several other "less popular" brands like Voice of Music, Sherwood, Lafayette, and Knight that usually sell cheap. These are all quality products, just less popular than your mainstream Scotts and Fishers. These all need rebuilds, but the components are cheap.

Eico HF-81, Scott 299-D, Fisher X-101, Dyna 70 would be prime choices, but they sell for more.

Xc

Personally I'd try and eBay an HK 430-930 twin powered receiver. Lots of people around here will tell you that they are the best bang for the buck on Heritage. Supposed to sound really nice.

And if you go this route you will be able to use the unspent money from your budget to begin saving for your first tube amp.

Ask around about the HK twin powered receivers. They are very well received.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Another option would be to obtain a suitable unit at a garage or estate sale (good time of year for this), then put the leftover $$$ into the rebuild. There's plenty of info on specific models suitable for this on the forum. Look for the following suggested brands/vintages (Scott, McIntosh, Fisher, Dynaco, Eico).

Otherwise, if you can double your budget, many, many options are available. $500-600 will get you a suitable unit with the rebuild.

The 222C mentioned above could be a great option and they can get a "safe to run" type rebuild for within your budget. The missing tubes could strain your budget. I would call and ask just how many tubes are missing and of coarse the actual condition of the amp. If there all gone it will cost $100 just for tubes. I'd buy the amp just for parts so let me know if your going to pass on it and I'll call and snap it up.

Craig

Ditto on vintage solid-state harmon/kardon receivers, NOT just the twin powered ones, great sound on big ole horns for solid-state, but still NOT tube magic; also consider Rocking With Antique Sound Lab's $99 Wave 8 Monoblock Amplifiers, now more powerful and expensive, but still wonderful sounding with big ole horns and cheap. See:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/

10.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2004 11:44:57 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

The more and more I think about it, the more I want to get a tube amp for my Cornwalls. The problem is, being a college student I can't exactly jump for a high end Mcintosh because the cash flow isn't quite up to that level yet. Is there any type of at least decent tube amp that would run around $200-$300 on the used market? Or any other suggestions you guys may have? I apologise, but I know nothing about tubes at this point. Thanks.
1.gif

----------------

My first tube amp was a Decware Zen. Not the most powerful amp around, but if you're room is on the small side it would give you a great intro into tubes. You can sometimes find one for about $300 on Audiogon. Not to mention you could easily sell it for what you paid. IF not for the lack of power in my rather large room, I'd still have one or two of the little buggers.

Chris

----------------

On 6/14/2004 11:44:57 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

The more and more I think about it, the more I want to get a tube amp for my Cornwalls. The problem is, being a college student I can't exactly jump for a high end Mcintosh because the cash flow isn't quite up to that level yet. Is there any type of at least decent tube amp that would run around $200-$300 on the used market? Or any other suggestions you guys may have? I apologise, but I know nothing about tubes at this point. Thanks.
1.gif

----------------

The oft overlooked Dynaco SCA 35, 17WPC, integrated amp is well within your price range. Most work very well with just a minimum cleaning of the controls, have a phono stage, multiple inputs, tone controls, and will return the investment when upgrade time comes along just for the transformers.

Rick

----------------

On 6/15/2004 10:10:28 AM paulparrot wrote:

Professor,

Whatever you do, do not get a Zen tube amp. One-watt amps are useless for reproducing music.

----------------

Sorry Paul, at the risk of arousing your vitriol, gotta disagree here. In all honesty, the sound reproduced by my Zen amp was as good or better than just about anything I've heard or had since (Cary, Scott, Fisher, McIntosh and various other tubed gear). However, it was underpowered. My room at the time was about 20'x30' with a 12' ceiling. The Zen definitely ran out of steam at levels over moderately loud. But, up until then it was very nice indeed.

Chris