on Khorns: 2A3, EL34, EL84 or KT88?

Colin

Thanks guys, I have owned Dynaco ST-70s (el34?) with my walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, and briefly heard Wright and JFL 2A3s on classic Klipsch corner Khorns. I own Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour amplifiers so I obviously prefer them for the money. I want to know how you think music sounds differently between the various tubes on Khorns 1.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned CJ Premier 8A's (6550's); the 8xs triode version (EL34's); Wavelength Cardinals (W.E. 300bs); Vaic VV52s, and McIntosh 2102 (KT88s). I am currently alternating between the Mac amp and the Cardinals. The Mac amp is 100wpc and is more than I need, but the sound is more dynamic than with the 300bs at 12wpc. Yes, I know that I NEVER exceed 10wpc output as evidenced by the Mac meters, but the bass has more ooomphh and I really don't notice any loss of transparency or midrange purity. It is for this reason that I prefer the KT88 outfitted Mac amp on my 2002 (AK-4) Khorns. Oh, and the amp sounds best off the 8 ohm tap, not the 4.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 6:02:55 AM AK-4 wrote:

----------------

On 6/23/2004 10:22:02 PM Tung-Sol Lamp Works wrote:

The sound quality isn't in the tube, but the circuit design. All of the tubes listed have operating parameters where they are most linear, and if they are designed to run in their design centers, they are all capable of great sound. It's all in the design, the tube does nothing more than control current. It is the engineers job to assure that the tube selected is run within it's limitations and parameters. Comparing output tubes is pointless except in terms of power output.----------------

Thank God. Then I don't have to worry about using Tung-Sols.

----------------

9.gif.

"FINE PRINTS"

How ironic for him to promote TS tubes:

"When renewing,replace only with a genuine Tung-Sol electron tube, it is your guarantee of the finest performance available"

----------------

On 6/24/2004 8:57:08 AM sunnysal wrote:

Dale, the amazing thing is that JFL amps were sold at prices WAY below market, I consider the amp a gift from Jeff rather than a purchase I made. If he ever decides to produce amps from sale again I will certainly be in line. Warm regards, tony

----------------

Hi Tony

Although it always warm my heart to see you guys really happy with my amps, I'd be much surprised to sell amps again. I've realized that it's really difficult to conciliate a low production while keeping low prices. An hand made amp takes a long time to build and the profit ain't really there unless you charge an arm an a leg. Even selling for the cost parts would be already costly! I wouldn't be comfortable selling an amp at a price where I would make a decent profit considering that boutique amps usually have a low resale value. It's OK if it's your last amp ever but I don't have the pretention to build amps that belong in that category. Who can pretend it anyway....

Besides the hassle of shipping anything in the US of A is a real deterrent for a boutique manufacturer outside the US. For exemple when shipping any electronic device in the US you must testify that your amp follows all FCC regulations (past, actual and future...) plus some other more obscure regulations. There is no way I can pay the fees to have them approved.

I found that it's much more fun to help guys around Quebec City to start building there own amps. Hence my collaboration with Kelly and MagneQuest to write some "How-to-build-your ... step-by-step" in the nearby future. A long overdure article on a PP2A3 should be online in the near future. This should be followed by a neat 300B SET with separate PSU for each stages.

pp2a3_v2_mock.jpg

Endless thanks to Kelly to manage to do this with the crappy pictures I send him.

Dear Dr. Lessard,

I'd be VERY happy to pay you a personal visit and sneak your latest MQ PP2A3 amps into the States without the knowledge of the FCC for my pure enjoyment, of course all at my expense. 1.gif.

Jeff, when will you post schematics for that amp? how are they different let's say...oh...from mine? LOL! I see different input tubes, I bet you used top of the line output iron as well....I bet mine sound 99.99% as good (I hope!). You should charge US$6,000 for the pair of mono-blocks, with that you would have some profit and they would be a steal compared to many of the over $10k amps out there! regards, tony

Schematic should be online with the article. Meanwhile this is something pretty similar to what I'm doing. Main difference is that I'm using a 5687 instead of the ECC 99 and I'm not using any tube regulator (I found those pretty noisy). I'm not using 6AX4 but GZ34. For sure we are in the "law of diminushing return" territory here with the iron count. OTOH, we only live once...

exo173_para2.gif

This schematic was drawn by Bas Horneman.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 4:12:47 PM rigma wrote:

Jeff,

Which amp design would you recommend to power the mid and highs on Bi-amped Khorns. I mostly listen to 50-60 Jazz at fairly high volume in a room 27x21 with high vaulted ceiling.

Rigma

----------------

This is a circuit that I've always loved. It should give you around 8-9W. The question if its sufficient or not for you will probably be debated...

Jean Hiraga a horn guru in France uses something similar in his biamp set-up.

This circuit is an actualisation of the Western Electric model 91. I've always been a big fan of its sound. The pentode driving a big triode gives a really natural sounding midrange and HF. I got the best results using a Sylvania 6SJ7GT.

schematic.gif

A nice "how-to" is available on the Angela web site at http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/model.91.html

Congratulations on finishing your thesis Jeff, and receiving your Piled Higher and Deeper. Hard work, and I'm sure you are glad to have it behind you.

The 2A3 push-pull has always interested me. If and when the step-by-step stuff goes up, I would appreciate a heads up. I can almost see myself building something like that in the future.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 4:59:45 PM AK-4 wrote:

The 2A3 push-pull has always interested me. If and when the step-by-step stuff goes up, I would appreciate a heads up. I can almost see myself building something like that in the future.

----------------

Dean : Your best bet is to start hanging around at www.magnequest.com

The unoffical home of our local DR Jeff .

2.gif

I feel (daily) like sunnysal, lucky to listen to JFL's. I've tweeked most of the pieces in my system in hopes of doing them justice.

Jeff, I'm sorry you didn't have Khorns for Dionysus, but if you had, I'd probably still be searching for what I'm content to have found. I hope the PP is as least as good.

SSH

----------------

On 6/23/2004 7:51:34 PM sunnysal wrote:

artto, no argument there, those luxman are pretty unique amps, I would love to hear them sometime (not to mention here your system in that room)...

warm regards, tony

----------------

If you ever get a chance to audition these amps, just make sure that they are still in original condition & using 8045G. Most have been modified to use KT88. KT88 doesn't really do the amp any justice. The peak current capability of KT88 is 1/3 of 8045G and the performance curves are no where as linear, especially at the extremes at both low & high levels. Julius Futterman had a mod using 6LF6 that worked very well but alas those tubes are also out of production. Mine are still using 8045G.

If you ever get around to the Chicago area just let me know a little in advance. You're more than welcome!