1 vs 2 Subwoofers

milton10

Does anyone have "real world" experience with using 2 subwoofers instead of just one? I have a Sunfire Super Junior subwoofer and am considering getting another one. Bob Carver of Sunfire highly recommends it. He says that bass output will increase by 6bd, and that placement becomes MUCH less of an issue since two subs will fill in any standing waves or cancelling waves caused by a single sound source.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Milton

----------------

On 6/27/2004 10:23:30 AM milton10 wrote:

Bob Carver of Sunfire highly recommends it.

----------------

I would think that most people would recommend you buy more of their product. Seriously though, the Ear is the guy you want to talk to, I don't think anyone on this forum has more sub expirience than him.

----------------

Does anyone have "real world" experience with using 2 subwoofers instead of just one? I have a Sunfire Super Junior subwoofer and am considering getting another one. Bob Carver of Sunfire highly recommends it. He says that bass output will increase by 6bd, and that placement becomes MUCH less of an issue since two subs will fill in any standing waves or cancelling waves caused by a single sound source.

Milton

----------------

That sounds a little odd to me since I would assume placement would become even more of an issue (if you want optimum output/quality) since another host of variables is added. Placement, phase control, equalization and blending with your mains are all more complicated when you add another sub. This isn't to say that you won't see an increase in dB, however if you want to get out of it what you'd expect plan on working a little harder with this one. I don't see how anyone can predict exactly how much dB you'll gain without more info on your room size, shape, placement and other factors.

The Ear has previously given a tutorial on how to set this up, however I can't find it at the moment so you'll have to perform a search. It was pretty straight forward.

----------------

Milton

----------------

I believe the 6+ db is only if you put the subwoofers side by side next to each other, other then that you get a 3+ db

I am using a SW-12 II and a RW-10 in my HT setup. I have them setup along the same wall four feet apart from each other. One is next to my right front channel and the other is next to the left front channel. I am still experimenting. I have not noticed any db gain but the bass is certainly tighter sounding and I hear much more detail. I took me sometime with my db meter and getting the phase correct to get what I think is the best sounding.

When I have more time, I will move them around the room to see if it makes any difference. There are many variables but I took the chance and bought the additional sub and so far I like the results.

• Like 1

I started with one VMPS Larger Subwoofer and later added another. Bob Carver is exactly right; +6 dB and fewer placement issues. The nulls of one sub are generally filled by the other, as long as they are NOT colocated.

One is fine...Two is better...Three even better...and so on.

Seriously when I added the second sub (Sunfire) the increase

was dramatic. How much was due to adding a Sunfire over the RW

probable great, but I placed then on oposite corners of the room

due to placement issues and to help fill in the punch to other

seating positions. I would do it.

My two Velo Servo 15's hit like sledgehammers and they are crossed at 60Hz. They are seperated and located next to each Khorn but they fill the room with nicely blended solid bass into the teens. I have the volume on them set to "3." Best thing is my NAD T163 A/V preamp has two subwoofer outputs so I don't have to "Y" out the connection. Got Bass!

The Finding Nemo tapping on the aquarium scene will send shockwaves through your body. Having 4 Cornwalls in the rear helps too.

I have done some reading and found something Harmon International as they did research on, where is the best placement and whats the best number of subs. I belive it was 4 subs in either a diamond shape placement. For example, one in the front middle, one in the middle back, and one on each side of the group of seats. The other is one sub in each corner. They used alot of subs, I forget the number, but its more then TheEars has. From that research, 4 is the most you'll need.

CD

I used to own two subs. I went to a larger better single sub. But when i went to a single sub I had a lot of placement issues until i found just the right spot. The single one i was always able to locate the general direction, until i found the right spot. No matter where i placed the two subs i used to have it did not seem to effect the output. always had them on other sides of the room from each other though.

I have used two subs in my own setup, as well as for freinds locations as well, and can wholeheartedly recommend using more than one to fulfill that beast inside us that says you can never have enough bass! I can however, guarantee, based on my experiences with myself and friends, that one should purchase a second bass unit, i.e. sub, only if it goes lower than the original sub in frequency response. I have tried numerous subs from Klipsch, Velodyne, REL, Mirage, Yamaha, JBL etc. and have never found that two of the same kind make more bass!! It's only by extending the depth of the bass that you will feel the difference.

Do try this technique, and let us know what you think/find out!

Maketh bass so that the doors rattle, the windows fall off, and the neighbours move out!!

Two subs are better than one, and even better than none! 2.gif

1.gif