Rhetorical question #738

Tom Adams

This will be my one and only post on the much debated "inappropriate posts" debate that seems to be all the rage. So bear with me.

Just about all of us working stiffs here work for a company that has policies concerning appropriate behavior in the work place. Now, many of us take issue with these policies, but we nonetheless abide by them or risk the consequences which can range from anything from a hand slap to termination. Are we allowed to talk or opine about religion or politics or world/local events or gender issues, etc. at our work place? Absolutely. Are we allowed to get so "passionate" that we offend another person? Absolutely not. Can we rant & rave about the policies? Sure. Can we change it? Uhhhh....no, because our name is not on the company building. We're there because they hired us and we signed a contract basically saying we'd play nicely in the sandbox together. And I dare say that just about all of us don't go around day in & day out *****in' about these appropriate behavior polices.

Hang with me here....1.gif

And so it is with this Klipsch forum IMNSHO. It's their "company", if you will, and they write the rules. Do they have an issue with certain topics? I don't think so. I think what they have an issue with is exactly what YOUR company has an issue with - inappropriate behavior. Your company doesn't have to spell it out in exquisite detail, so why are we hammering Klipsch, LLC to do the same? (rhetorical question). And just like YOUR company, Klipsch, LLC has the right to dole out the appropriate punishment which might include firing you. 8.gif

Hold on - Imma gettin' there. 1.gif

Sadly, just like in many of the companies you & I work for, people have to be punished or fired before folks wake up and realize the powers at be ain't kiddin' around. And I can see it happening here. Did our Hydraulics Engineering group suffer when they fired Kenny? Yes. Did he knowingly violate a policy. Yup. Will we be able to replace him with another good engineer who is just as nice and gets along with folks. Absolutely. And so it is with our virtual "forum company". It'll be sad if someone here gets fired and we'll surely miss the knowledge. But you know what? The reality is that a year from now, they'll be replaced by another "employee" who knows just as much and is just as much a contributor.

Ok - my conclusion. 10.gif

So....here's what I'd like to ask those of you who've entertained me thus far to consider. Why should Klipsch have any less expectation of us and our ability to control our behavior? And why should any of us have any less expectation of ourselves and our ability to conduct ourselves in the same manner that we do at our place of employment?

Thanks for allowing me to burn up bandwidth. I don't do it very often and, quite frankly I know why - these topics give me a headache!2.gif2.gif9.gif

Tom

Very well put.

Its Klipsch's nickel and I thank them for letting me be here. I'm here to learn about audio and Klipsch. This forum is a nice escape from politics which is everywhere these days. Yes politics is really, really important so I urge everyone to vote in November.

I like many others am just tired of hearing the same old political rhetoric over and over ad nauseum.

OK, Tom, I read that whole post, and I'm pretty sure I understand what you're trying to say: You're hiring, right? 10 more weeks and I'll be done with my AutoCAD class. I will come to work with you, and be your (gym) sock puppet...

I thought I read "rhetorical question" there somewhere...9.gif

Good post-I agree completely.

Fini-if you're looking for work, my daughter recently swallowed a dime and we have to sort through the ...uh...well, you know what we have to sort through (kind of like the mods, yes?). Anyway, it's a crappy job, but we would be willing to allow you to keep anything you find if you're interested...

David1.gif9.gif

I think that was answered in bulliten #739, chapter 4, sub section 3, paragraph 2 the 6th sentence... that is if you understand what "is" is. LOL

Were all on the same page, I think, here. Treat others like you would like to be treated. Show respect for the fellow posters on the boards as well as the people providing the boards. Like a lot of you, I am here every day too. I read a lot more than I post, and get good laughs and enjoy seeing what is new. Maybe as a helpful suggestion people might ask themselves, What if your mom, dad or your grandparents read what you just typed? Would you be ok with that too? Just a thought.

It is a shame we can't take a few of the trolls out back, find a switch, and re direct some of the thinking/postings too. Hehehehe

When I first started on this board I was amazed how quickly people came to help one another. They offered great advice and opinions of how things worked for them. I miss some of the knowledge if people like Andy, and others that worked at Klipsch. I miss the young kid Justin with all of his eagerness to learn and just enjoy things audio wise. The debates over audio are great, just keep it on audio and try to keep it not a direct threat to others personally.

A very thoughtful elucidation of a position many people mistakenly hold, NOT just here but also in other public forums as well, including those mediums NOT so electronic or immediate.

The difference is NOT the media however, but the message, or rather the intent of the message and its forum. The problem is NOT simply as you state, that it is their ball, so play by their rules. The problem is that it is NOT entirely their ball.

Rather, it is our field. And the larger picture is much greater than this field, or even Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, the worlds largest soccer arena. The ball of the Klipsch public forum is one regulated by a great many federal laws.

There are many issues. We are NOT employees. We are NOT on the factory floor. We are NOT compensated for being here. We are NOT assigned specific duties, tasks or responsibilities. In fact, this is a public forum, operated by a private company, for their own private social and financial reasons. Our obligations are NOT to employer Klipsch. This is NOT a private enterprise.

We are in a public forum, with an open invitation to all people to participate and join. We are using a public medium, the Internet, given away by the Department of Defense, regulated by committees established by the federal government (Thank you, Bill and Al), with federal oversight of price and supply. We sit in front of a product shaped by federal regulations, using connections licensed by municipal governments, connected by servers and cables that comply with federal rules, over bandwidth supplied by Uncle Sam.

We are the 20th century instant, two-way version of radio, TV and newspapers. We are the electronic coffee shop where customers hang out and mingle. This is a two-way radio show hosted by our benevolent and generous sponsor. This is a live TV broadcast to all who will listen (one of those funky late night cable shows about loudspeakers and amplifiers). This is an instant response newspaper, a coffeehouse without the coffee (and Bose loudspeakers).

For whatever reason that Klipsch operates this public forum, open to all, they must also operate within the limits of the law. They cannot, for example, keep me out because of the color of my skin (too red). They can however, enforce proper decorum and rules of conduct, in so much as those rules do NOT discriminate against a CERTAIN CLASS of people.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss all information and issues related to Klipsch, its industry and products, and our hobby. In that sense they have the job of preventing fights in the coffeehouse, true, but they also have a moral and citizenship duty to protect the constitutional rights of all US citizens and residents. This obligation is NOT limited to this small public forum.

The media will soon be carrying more stories and interviews concerning the upcoming elections. Although it is in their best interest to portray a close race and give both sides of the story, they will also be making a concerted, measured and reported (to Congress) effort to give EQUAL airtime to all candidates in the state and national elections. There is a reason for this. The public bandwidth radio and TV uses is allocated by Congress with a requirement for public service. Keeping citizens informed about the elections is one of the medias more important public services. They cant just sell advertisements.

A bandwidth, like the Internet and this public forum, has a moral and legal obligation to provide open and free discussions as part of the public service that regulates and protects the medium.

It is their ball. But they play on our field. The field of We the People. The field of free exercise of religion, speech, press and peaceable assembly. (Amendment I, Bill of Rights)

It is a glorious field indeed. The best Ive ever heard of. The most exciting progressive social experiment in the history of mankind: the great American capitalism and democracy experiment. We are all on this field, and what a beautiful field it is. We all have a stake in this ballgame.

But make no mistake about it, this is NOT the factory floor. Any attempt to close the doors and limit discussions to only things the boss wants to hear hurts us all. It hurts Klipsch fans and tweaking audiophiles. To a tiny degree, the creaking and thunk of a heavy door somewhere out in Arkansas or Indiana, to just that small degree, shutting any doors on any freedom of thought, for whatever reason, hurts us all.

10.gif

It's nice to know (I think) that some of you catch my drift. Golden rule and all that jazz.

Colin - Ya killin' me oh-va heeya! 1.gif

Hint: Freedom of speech, government rules, laws, and whatever gobble-dee-goook stuff you said 1.gif, will ever justify inappropriate behavior. One doesn't expect it of onesself or their wife, and I'm quite sure one doesn't teach it to ones' kids. So why portray or accept it here? No value added IMHO. Besides, all that type of "behavior" does IMO is diminish the importance of the message the author is trying to convey, it diminishes the author's person, and ceases to invite impersonal discussion. Let's face it...we've all had enough arguments with our spouses to know that when they've got us dead-to-right, we resort to childish things like name calling & such. Personally...my favorite is to stick my fingers in my ears and go, "Nah, nah, nah....can't hear you. Nah, nah, nah." But hey - that's just me. 9.gif

Fini - As a matter of fact, if an important contract breaks for us, we WILL be hiring. And right now good people are hard to find due to the number of job openings in the aerospace field. Oh...and you'd never be my (sock) puppet. With your warped sense of humor, I'd never get anything done! 1.gif

Tom

ps: FWIW - if you guys use the word goook, but only use two o's, the whateverthingamabob software converts it to ****. Not sure why, but it does.

COLIN, people throw around the saying "I agree with you 100%" as often as a major league pitcher throws a ball, and so it seems watered down most of the time, but there's no more powerful a phrase in the english language that could express my parallel sentiments towards your post. If you were running for president, I'd vote for you in a heartbeat.

Bravo, Colin. Bravo.

What an incredibly insightful post and articulated so well. On my drive to Miami, I had considered posting something similar alluding to the fact Klipsch wouldn't have an "Internet OR Intranet" presence had it not been for politics. Indeed, PWK would not had been able to start the company we all love without politics. I no longer need to do so since your well-written post covered the 'duties' of companies and citizens so well.

Hopefully, everyone will read it and understand the significance of what it means rather than just tossing out the 'free speech limits the federal government' argument or the 'I don't want to read politics on an audio forum' argument; the use of either a clear indication one simply doesn't get it.

I did read Amy's post in the 'Support our moderators' thread and found it provided some hope we will see a return of 'the art of diplomacy' to this forum. I hope when it does return she is diligent in applying the same rules of decorum and prevents the corruption of 'those' threads by people who feel the need to insult or are incapable of discussing topics in a civil manner. Given her responses to my constructive criticism, I believe she will.

Again... Bravo, Colin.

Might as well jump on the Colin bandwagon - Bravo and Kudos

Tom - while I see your point, I am a fighter for what I think is right versus wrong regardless of whether it seems I am biting the hand that feeds me.

Thanks to all for the civility...

----------------

On 7/1/2004 4:39:55 PM Anarchist wrote:

Hopefully, everyone will read it and understand the significance of what it means rather than just tossing out the 'free speech limits the federal government' argument or the 'I don't want to read politics on an audio forum' argument; the use of either a clear indication one simply doesn't get it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so glad you have a full understanding of my powers of comprehension.

• Moderators

Some people can talk about politics intelligently, but many others can't. That's the problem. The philosophies of policy is one thing, the "my candidate is better than yours because yours is stupid" is another.

We'll just see how things go. Until then, I'm all for talking about something else.

• Klipsch Employees

These 2 users are the same person. They have been banned. As "they" are just "trolling" I see nothing that suggest that they should get to say.

"They" received a mail explaining this...

more

Newbie "It's my party. I'll cry if I want to."

rodent_guy

----------------

On 7/1/2004 6:58:58 PM more wrote:

It's my party. I'll cry if I want to.

----------------

more-

You weren't EVEN INVITED to this forum.. Go play tiddliwinks with less...or whatever..

LET US ALL RAISE THE CRY ....

FLEADOM! FLEADOM!