Buying Klipsch off the web?

troostj

Hello All, this is my first post in this forum.

I am looking to buy a Klipsch RSW-10 Sub-woofer.. (to match with my RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 combo, which I got at tweeter for 50% when they were upgrading to the RF-3II etc stuff 2 yrs ago!)

I looked thru the web and found the sub at three different websites for 660.. brandnamez, acousticsounddesign, and sounddistributors.

I also emailed my local klipsch dealers and told them that I was looking for that sub, and yada yada and looking for a good price.. and that I could get it for 660. They all emailed me back saying that they could never come close to matching that price, and that I should not buy from the web because Klipsch is cracking down on unothaurized dealers who are selling gray market or defective product. hmm

What do you guys think? Do you buy stuff of the web.. I see that the stuff on the web does not have the klipsch factory warranty..

what is your advice? Should I pay like 900 at the store? so I can get a real sub? or Im I getting ripped with a sub-par copy of the sub in the web or is it all BS and they are the real-deal?

My suggestion is to buy from a local dealer. They will typically work with you on price, if they know that you'll be back for future purchases. Get to know them a bit, and they will soften up.

You may also want to look at the RSW-12 instead of the 10. I don't have experience with either (I have the 15), but I've read that there is a dramatic difference between the 10 and 12.

Good luck!

David

----------------

On 6/30/2004 8:55:36 AM troostj wrote:

I looked thru the web and found the sub at three different websites for 660.. brandnamez, acousticsounddesign, and sounddistributors.

I also emailed my local klipsch dealers and told them that I was looking for that sub, and yada yada and looking for a good price.. and that I could get it for 660. They all emailed me back saying that they could never come close to matching that price, and that I should not buy from the web because Klipsch is cracking down on unothaurized dealers who are selling gray market or defective product. hmm

What do you guys think? Do you buy stuff of the web.. I see that the stuff on the web does not have the klipsch factory warranty..

what is your advice? Should I pay like 900 at the store? so I can get a real sub? or Im I getting ripped with a sub-par copy of the sub in the web or is it all BS and they are the real-deal?

----------------

This is my take on the whole issue. First and formost, the stuff you buy on the web is most likely genuine product, not some sub-par, shoddy rip-off or copy. The issue is of course, the warranty. Also, it is most likely the serial number on the product you get has been tampered with/changed. Could be an issue if you ever decide to unload on the used market. Some of the more reputable outfits, such as that acousticsounddesign will honor the warranty themselve. Of course, where are they getting parts? Are they "cannibalizing" other broken/defective units for the parts? There is no way Klipsch themselves are selling parts to these "grey market" outfits.

When spending that kind of money, I'd rather go with a local dealer. Not just for if something goes wrong, but just simply being able to try things out. For example, you get that nice shiny new RSW-10 home and start playing with it. You decide that maybe, after all, you really do want one of the bigger units, such as the RSW-12. Now, you got to box up the RSW-10 and then have to ship it back (most likely on your own dime), and then wait for the new unit (and hopefully it doesn't get trashed on the way) to come in. Make sure they don't stick you with a "restocking" fee. Going with the local dealer, you can just simply run it over there and swap for the other one right there (of course, they may not have the one you want in stock, but still).

When I bought my setup, I started out with RF-3II up front with an RC-3II center and two pairs of SS-2 surrounds. I decided I didn't like the SS-2 in the rear so then decied to try a pair of SB-2s. Decided I didn't like the SB-2 and tried a pair of SB-3s. Turned out they were too big and decided to trade all of the rears and get a single pair of RS-3II and another RC-3II for a 6.1 instead of a 7.1. In the end I was much happier, at least I thought. With the sub, I started with a KSW-10 and decided I wanted the bigger KSW-12. I then decided that I did not really like the KSW sub and went to go listen to an RSW-12 (with the idea of actually getting an RSW-15, but the local dealer did not have any in stock). After much listening to subs on the show room floor, I decided to go with a REL Storm III instead. I sat down to watch The Matrix on this system and I really thought I was set to go. However, those Reference 7 speakers just kept calling to me. Inspired by the m00n that night, I decided I really did want to try the RF-7s up front instead of the RF-3IIs. I ended up trading in all of the '3II's for a complete '7 package, and to this day, I am not looking back. During that process, on one of the RC-7s, the cabinet was cracked and the driver came out while I was unpacking it. I immediatly took the broken speaker back and the dealer replaced it with a new one on the spot, no questions asked. They were apologizing profusely for the "inconvience" of having to bring it back and so on. I told them, no sweat - $#!+ does happen sometimes.

Now, can you imagine if I tried that using an on-line dealer? Most liketly, I'll still be stuck with the initial setup since it would've been to much of a hassle to even try other things out, and sitting here wishing I had the '7s instead.

I did buy my Denon AVR-3802 reciever on-line at a pretty significant savings (around $800 vs $1,200 brand-new at the time), but that was mainly because there was no local dealer at the time. The local dealer opened up the weekend I recieved my reciever. Fortunataly, I never did have a problem. I thought I did when my remote control stopped working shortly after getting the unit. I honostly thought I had a bad remote and even gotten so far as getting an RMA# from Denon. Before going through the hassle of returning the remote, I figure I'll try something I should've tried in the first place. Replace the friggan batteries! Lo-and-behold - the damn thing worked! Those batteries that came with the unit were obviously friggan cheap and probably not even worth the materials they were made from. I called Denon back and told them to cancel the RMA.

To sum up going on-line is not entirely bad, but it does have significant risks. You can save alot of money going the online route, especially if you know exactly what you want. Fortunatly, Klipsch speakers, for the most part, are pretty darn reliable and problems are pretty rare. That is call you'll have to make. Also, do keep in mind that Klipsch has filed some lawsuits against some on-line retailers, so they are aggresively cracking down on grey-market sales of thier product.

Did you see the Ebayer selling new heresys? Looked like from the picture he had a truckload of new stuff.

My take on mail order and local.

From someone who USED to own a business that had to compete with mail order and online all the time. I tried to get to know my customers and did a good job of it. But mailorder and online is selling to the masses at 10 percent margins, mainly because they probably are not keeping inventory. It is impossible to run a business (brick and morter) and survive below 30 percent margins. I tried to match mail order if I did not stock the item, but then folks would want to pay with American Express, and start talking the tax issue. I am currently debating on purchasing a Denon 3805 at my local we want to make 50% margin store or online. After you do think about taxes I would save almost 500 bucks if I buy it online. I may take my chances. I have never had any problems with Electronics and my local stereo store does not act like they want to get to know me.

Hello:

My cousin Greg decided on Denon. He went to his local dealer and said, this is what I can get it for online but I want to buy from a local dealer. The dealer came up with a price that was about thirty (30)% percent off.

You can try negotiating.

dodger

----------------

On 7/1/2004 9:26:21 AM dodger wrote:

Hello:

My cousin Greg decided on Denon. He went to his local dealer and said, this is what I can get it for online but I want to buy from a local dealer. The dealer came up with a price that was about thirty (30)% percent off.

You can try negotiating.

dodger
----------------

Dodger-I had the same experience with my local dealer. Generally, if they think that you will be a repeat customer I'm sure they will work something out more favorable than MSRP.

David

I purchased both receivers and a sub from this dealer, both times tried to get him at least close to mail order. He would not move. This is a higher dollar purchase than all those, I took a copy of what I could get it for online. Told them I wanted to do business with them but was lookinga at almost 500 dollar difference. Owner looked at me and said "we do not deal"

Oh well.

When I was in college, I bought a Denon integrated amp from an authorized dealer. It lost a channel and I brought it back under warranty. It took only 4 months to get it fixed.

My Hitachi 51" RPTV is one-year old, but I've been trying to get fixed for 6 months!

Warranties are only worth the paper they are printed on if the company is going to make an effort to fulfill the contract. It seems that warranty work must be relatively nonprofitable for these "service centers".

I would seriously investigate the company's service record and then evaluate what might break (powered subs are far more likely to need work than speakers) and weigh that against the price break I can get.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Klipsh speakers at Brandnamez.com and saved over 40%($1200) from my local dealers "Best Price" after I negotiated with them for 30 minutes. Being on a tight budget I couldn't resist the savings and decided to take the risk.

My speakers shipped promptly. All of the speakers arived Brand New Sealed in the Original box and sound great. If you do buy from them make sure you check out your equipment withing 7 days. Otherwise they won't take it back.

Only thing is they are not covered by the Manafacture Waranty.