Who would buy the Jubilee if it were offered?

Parrot

The word I have heard from many is "the performance of a Klipschorn, without the need for perfect corners"

That being said, I'm going to great trouble to build my room the right way, so I'll be fine with Khorns. No jubilee for me, unless a more compelling reason surfaces.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm going to pay $15000 for something, I had better be able to climb inside of it and drive it home. Unless somebody slaps a set of wheels on the thing, and puts a decent engine in the bass bin, count me out.

paulparrot: Although, I think those are absolutley beautiful, two things would prevent me from buying a pair:

1) We really don't have sufficient room in our tiny house to take advantage of a pair of those.

2) My wife would most likely murder me for asking for them and then bury me paying $10,000 for the funeral and then pocket the other $5-grand savings! 9.gif

Disclaimer: Actually, my wife is awesome as she and I just put more than $30-grand into our home theater. We really don't have the room.2.gif

This is a topic that was trampled to death in several threads some time back.

They were not just a dream, they were an active engineering project.

They are not and will not be produced.

Klipsch has a difficult time getting dealers to carry the existing Heritage line, they did not think the market would justify the expense of creating a new, more expensive addition to the product line.

Two prototypes (at least) were built, neither was close to being a pre-production prototype.

"How many of you would pay the estimated $15,000 a pair for the home version of the Jubilee, were it ever to actually go into production?"

For that price, I can probably buy 4 pairs of brand "spankin" new Khorns to complete an all-Khorns 5.1 HT system and a 2-Channel system and still have a spare.

Dean, for the $7 grand price difference, you have an additional 3.5 grand in component costs. I'd estimate $1000 went to the rear enclosure and a no compromise woofer than can cleanly reach in the range of 2200 Hz. The other $2000 would be sunk into the wide range horn. This would be in line with what you would expect to pay for the rip snorting, no holds barred woofer and horn that would make a Jubilee sing. I have heard one set of theatre Jubilees, but can't really estimate how they would translate into a home.

The Khorns, for all that they are, represent a compromise. PWK did everything he could within reason to make a price point, and did it so well that they have gone without major tweaking for nigh on sixty years - no mean feat6.gif

I thought Trey posted a message saying that upper horn in that photo was just for glamour shots? That that wasn't the horn that was being using in its development?

"But the Jubilee bass bin unit is in production in the Pro cinema department. "

Anyone know how much that unit costs?

Shawn

paulparrot:

I heard the Jubilee in Feb, 2001 with a few other folks in attendence as well as PWK and Miss Valerie. Since corner loading is not a factor, you can point this thing right at you, if you want. We did an unfair A-B comparsion with the Klipschorn. (different amplification and placement) To my ear, the Jubilee did not have the top end sizzle of the K-Horn. What it did have was dynamics and just about the tightest bass I've ever heard. I mean you didn't just hear the bass, it slapped you around. When I say the bass was tight, you heard it and then it was gone... very powerful. I don't know if it's $15000.00 better than the K-horn (I really like the K-horn) but it projects a different sound to my ear... a sound I really, really like.

Tony

Thanks, Tony, that was helpful.

Klipsch has no plans to put out a home version of the Jubilee. They do not believe there would be enough demand to warrant their cost.

The only possible scenario I could imagine is to use the Jubilee as a marketing tool for the rest of the Klipsch line. "Not everyone can buy the ultimate speaker, our Jubilee at $15,000, but the same attention to detail and value goes into our XYZ series at your local BestBuy for $149." Similar to when Mercedes would run commercials of their C111 Wankel-engine, gullwing test cars, and say that the same engineering goes into the Mercedes sedan you can buy at your dealers.

The only way I could see that concept in practice would be if there were demo models of the Jubilee, but then there'd be lousy acoustic environments and tremendous display expense to deal with. And today's consumer who wants his speakers small, unobtrusive, even hidden in the wall, would not necessarily be impressed by the Jubilee anyway.

In the end, it ain't gonna happen.

"Considering the fact that the 1949 Klipschorn price (custom finish) was $590.00 and the current price for a custom finish is $1551.00, the upgrading with a G board and top end for $364.00 indicates somewhat less than zero obsolescence." PWK

Dope From Hope Vol.12 No.5 Oct. 1972

Now, according to my calculations, the average American home cost was $7525 in 1949. Assuming an average cost of $200,000 (this probably low) in 2004, equals 26.5 times increase. $590 x 26.5=$15635 (thats for one speaker). Considering the current MSRP of the Klipschorn is $7500 (per pair), or the proposed price of the Jubilee around $15,000 (per pair), both seem rather cheap by yesteryears standards. Gimme five. 16.gif (have to do the surround sound thing you know)

----------------

On 7/2/2004 1:12:09 PM sfogg wrote:

I thought Trey posted a message saying that upper horn in that photo was just for glamour shots? That that wasn't the horn that was being using in its development?

Shawn

----------------

When I spoke with Klipsch engineering just after I first saw it and asked why this thing wasn't in production, one of the reasons I was given is they were having difficulty outsourcing manufacturing of the mid/high horn to tolerance and price point. The wood horn you see is apparently rather expensive to make. Other materials have/are being considered, such as molded graphite like the newer Khorns but with a veneer laminates, and other materials. But as Trey mentioned at Indy last year, they're main concern right now was in getting production going on numerous more affordable product lines.

Obviously this would produce much more revenue. Business is business. And if you don't keep your financial priorities straight, ultimately, you won't be in business anymore. 7.gif