Klipsch Heritage

neo33

IMO, KHorns, Belles and La Scalas are in a class of their own. I have never listen to them but I can easily see that KHorns are the undisputed king of the bunch based on countless opinions here.

OTOH, Cornwalls, Chorus, Fortes and Heresies are different beasts altogether (I have listened to everyone of them). And once you have upgraded to Cornwalls, you will never want to go back. Anyone else here shares my sentiment?

Musical preference has to come into play someplace ?

Personaly in a smaller room i'd much rather listen to jazz or intrumental with tubes on cornwalls then khorns.

Universaly speaking ? the khorn can do it all from rock to pop to strings in any size room .

Hats off to the master " paul " for building something for everyone 2.gif

Neo, I'm sliding a little off toic here but what's your view of the KG series. It's all I 've got and I love'em a lot but if you've heard them how do they stack up to Heritage?

I can only say that I have listened exclusively to the Klipsch Heresy, La Scala and Klipschorn in ascending scale of preference. I like the Heresy because it's lightning fast and frankly blows many competing speakers out of the water for dynamics and musicality. A great introduction to the Heritage line. It's probably suited to smaller rooms though or for surrounds when matched with the other bigger Heritage speakers.

The La Scala impressed me with a bigger sound than that of the Heresy. It's probably the best affordable loudspeaker I've ever heard and second only to the Klipschorn.

The Klipschorn is the king of affordable loudspeakers. It embodies all the musical attributes of the wonderful La Scala/Belle and introduces a truly symphonic bass capability. The Klipschorn transcends the horn/cone/electrostatic/other transducer argument. It's just a great loudspeaker.

I've listened quite a bit to Cornwalls and I won La Scala's and Heresy II's. My La Scala's are my mains. Yes I would have to agree with you Klipschorns, La Scala's and Belle Klipsch are in a separate class. I believe Q-Man summed it up best when he wrote word to the effect of "When he thinks of Klipsch he thinks of fully horn loaded speakers." I have to agree with that completely. While I don't have the room to house a Klipschorn/La Scala theatre I would dearly love to have it. IMO the fully horn loaded units just have a fuller, richer and more natural sound than anything else. I do like my Heresy II's as surround speakers, they are superior in sound to the small reference units I previously had in that roll but they are also quite a bit bigger and should put out more sound. I dont think there is a Klipsch speaker I actually dont like but I am definitely a heritage fan. I love my La Scala sound when I am running striclty two channel and listening to my music. The room is filled with an effortless, full sound I don't think you can get anywhere else. But to steal a line from Griffinator"YMMV".

I have owned three pairs of Cornwalls and never believed that anything would replace them at a cost that I would be willing to pay. I am now listening to a wonderful pair of '75 Belles and they are enchanting. Its amazing how they dont look quite so big in the room now that we have fallen in love with the sound!

josh

I percive the bass to be a bit firmer witht he pasive radiator implmentation in the Chorus II.

Others have commented to this in the Forte II.

I always wonder why the Corn evolved to the Chorus and then to the CHorus II.

There must be a technical reason and not just a smaller cabinet width.

Inquiring if some one knows.

I own 2 pairs of cornwalls and a pair of heresys. Love them all. The 2nd pair of corns, which I just bought, will eventually be replaced with khorns. Room issues prevent me from doing so now. I've heard all the heritage speakers and won't be completely satisfied until I have the big ones in my corners.

Cornwalls are great jazz speakers. No doubt about it.

I had Cornwalls from '85 to '93. Now I've had k-horns since 1998. I have to say the fully horn-loaded klipsch are more difficult to live with than the direct radiator woofer'd models. I do think the klipschorn is king, but it, the belle and la scala are just more finicky regarding placement, set-up, etc. But, when everything gels, fully horn loaded can't be beat, imho.

You guys make me so proud to own CORNWALLS! I think they're a great simple design and sound great with Jazz, Classical and Hard Rock. I'm judging from personal experience with LaScalas, Heresys, and several of the Reference line.

unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to spend any time with the mighty Khorns.

Michael

JDM,

Wow what placement issues did you have with your La Scala/Belle, these speakers were designed to sit in a free standing field. The only Klipsch designed to do so. Now I believe they benefit from corner placement a little in the bass department but I have found their placement requirements to be quite flexible. I am not attacking your statement I have just never experienced a placement issue. Now room acoustics is another issue.

I owned Cornwalls for many years and now have Forte IIs.

The size of the room very much comes into play. I moved into a home with a considerably smaller living room (now 19' x 16'), and the Forte IIs are just the right size IMO. The Cornwalls (and even the Chorus) would have been just too large.

I personally don't feel I'm missing out on much by going with the Forte's ...

Neo, you are probably correct overall.

OTOH, you should hear the three way horns before you draw conclusions. A lot of people tend to agree that a three way horn is unique and the best of the direct bass radiators don't quite meet the mark.

There is the tendance to create a pecking order for the various models. However, I'd point out that speaker size, room geometry, and price dictate many people's choices. If you can't have a K-H, which is better, the LS or the Cornwall. A tough choice. The LS is not going to keep up in bass power with the CW. And there are other choices.

Along the same lines, the tractrix horns of the Forte II, Quartets, and Chorus II put them in a new category of comparison. I'm a fan of this.

Going back to the original question, I'd be a bit warry of any absolute heirarchy.

Gil

I much prefer the Cornwall to the LaScala. The lightweight tonal balance of the LaScala combines with the mid horns's tendency towards harshness to give me earwire; an effect as though someone is twisting a wire in my ear. The LaScala is one of the worst quality horn speakers made IMO. In fact I can't think of a worse one. When I was young I loved LaSclas, no longer.

I consider the Cornwall second only to the Khorn itself as an overall excellent reproducer with within the Klipsch line. I lack experience with the later Chorus speakers, for all I know they're better than the Cornwall (they certainly should be) but I just don't know.

I only have limited listening experience with the Klipschorns (never heard La Scalas or Belle Klipsch), but I'm certainly not complaining about my Cornwalls, and like others am damn proud to own these unique Heritage models!

Both my younger brothers own KG Series KG 3.2 and KG 5.5 horn speakers that are perfect in their own right, but at least to my ears, the Heritage Series still reins supreme...just a fuller sound IMO.

"Neo, I'm sliding a little off toic here but what's your view of the KG series. It's all I 've got and I love'em a lot but if you've heard them how do they stack up to Heritage?"

I have never listen to the KG before so I can't give you any opinion.

BTW, I currently own three of the Heritage series, Cornwalls, Fortes and Heresies. I used to own the Reference RF-7. IMO, the Reference just doesn't compare to the two-way horn Heritage.

----------------

On 7/10/2004 12:47:46 PM J.4knee wrote:

JDM,

Wow what placement issues did you have with your La Scala/Belle

----------------

I was talking setup in general, with all three full horn-loaded models. Specifically, with the belle and la scala, the issue is lack of bass extension, which practically demands a sub. With the klipschorn, the main set-up issue is one of compatability with room geometry and layout. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I have Klipschorns (71 wo), Corns (79) and a pair of KG 3.5's. The Hertage series are IMHO the best sounding speakers. I enjoy both the Khorns as well as the corns, but the Khorn is UNTOUCHABLE!!!! Thats in all areas.

I tell many folks, just pick up a pair of Klipsch Hertage series speakers and YOU WILL BE HOOKED!!!!! I have yet to hear a speaker from the line that is't at the top of the pile for it's application.

Horns & Tubes, aaaaahhhhhhh the sweetness.

Royster