BOSE=BLOSE-

Scp53

I decided that I would ask bose some technical questions about there crapst... I mean lifestyle system. heres what I wrote and heres what they told me- just what I had expected,not a DAM THING!!!

BLOSE:

****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us

expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original response.******

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your inquiry. Bose® Corporation does not publish these

specifications.

The reason for this is that we believe that such statistics do not add very much

to an understanding of an audio product's acoustic characteristics and, even

worse, can be misleading. Audio manufacturers make these measurements

independent of industry standards, and in varying conditions. Additionally, a

single statistic is not a reliable measurement of a product's performance. One

could, for instance, find a very expensive system with exactly the same

specifications as a much less expensive system. On paper, the two would appear

identical. The difference in performance, however, would be significant.

A better approach, we feel, is to listen to the product. We strongly urge you to

make your own comparisons. Bose systems will surpass your expectations.

If we can be of additional assistance in the future, please contact us toll free

at (800) 999-2673 extension EM1, or email us from our Bose website at:

http://www.bose.com

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation

Richard C. Tessier Ext. 61021

Customer Support Team

----------------------------------------------------

Bose Corporation

US Telephone: (800)999-2673, ext. EM1

International Tel: (508)766-1099, ext. EM1

Fax: (508)820-3465

Email: http://www.bose.com

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)

Visit our Website: www.bose.com

----------------------------------------------------

It's summertime! Let's swing in a hammock to the great sound of Bose® model

151® or 251® Environmental speakers. For Lifestyle® system owners, add the

SA-1 stereo amplifier to bring great sound to Bose outdoor speakers.

------------------------------

Technical Support Information:

Email Id:1-ZW0HR

Email Agent Id:1-FI0Y

Queue Id:1-HMEX

what I wrote:

-----Original Message-----

I just have a few technical questions on the Lifestyle 35. I will not

buy it unless I know this info(and I plan to buy directly from this

site). what is the high frequency cutoff for the sub in hz? and you say

"...pure sound reproduction down to the lowest frequencies, even at the

loudest levels..." what is the lowest freq in hz? and how loud will the

sub play in room like a 15x15 ft room- not the speakers, just the

sub.tell me this in db because thats a true measurement. how much power

is the amp on the bass module? are Bose bass modules really efficient so

that the amp is smaller?

I need to know what you think about the lifestyle sub compared to 12 and

15inch driver subs. will those 12 and 15 inch drivers keep up with that

bose module.

thanks

BLOSE obviously doesn't know what there talking about! what DUMBA$$E$. "specs don't show much"- well they sure as hell do. they say the environment is not a standard. ****, I asked for the amp wt rating on that POS sub- why not tell me? does the environment affect it.

He avoids the questions because he knows himself that BOSE it crap.

SPREAD THE WORD,BOSE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else ever get these crap answers? or other funny/dumb experiences with BLO$E.

scp53

You know, this shows me that BLOSE (I like that! good one!) is displaying what I would call "contempt" for its customers.

People capable of discerning good specs from bad are clearly NOT who they want for their customer base...

Therefore, I agree with your conclusion. They are hiding something. The product is apparently so bad that they evidently fear losing potential customers rather than convincing them of the capable performance of the product.

I have felt that this was the case with BLOSE all along, and your exchange with them just proves it. Like a softdrink, sound can be made "sweet" for the initial sale, but "sour" for long-term listening due to high distortion, etc. Long term satisfaction is psycho-accoustic, and the mind needs to be pleased as well as the ear.

Good call, and thanks for the post!

DM2.gif

I considered buying a Bose "Lifestyle" system for my office years ago.....for some spacey sounding background music, but I couldn't justify the price. For the half the price I bought four Infinity RS1's, a Yamaha AV reciever, and Nakamichi CR3 tape deck and used my old Yamamha T2 tuner. More than enough for background music and music-on-hold for the phone system in a 3 room office. If Klipsch made something in the Infinity's price range back then, like th ProMedia stuff, I would have bought that.

You should have asked them for frequency modulation distortion specifications too! They'd probably really get confused by your question.

Dr. Bose my be a great businessman. But his knowledge of acoustics and physics is questionable, reagardless of some of his stupid patents. Some people actually think he invented some of the techniques he uses even though they've been around for decades.

Aren't you glad Bose is a "four letter word"?

BTW, I always refer to "Bose" as "Blose". Really seems to piss some people off. I just grin and savor the moment. 9.gif

Fish,

I can't see a reason to not publish the specs anyway, whether or not someone can make heads or tails out of them.

Seems to me a serious speaker manufacturer should be capable of providing the specs when they are asked for.

Something's FISHY with that! (pun unexpected but somehow ironically satifying)...2.gif

DM2.gif

There is a well known link (hopefully someone can post) where someone did in fact take apart a lifestyle or acoustimass as well as do real tests. They found the construction to be unbelievably cheap, not even using MDF etc. There are literally "gaps" where the system crosses over at LF and HF where sound is 0db for a few hundred hertz. Nice. Most of the midrange is like +7 db because that seems to be more psychologically appealing. The sub? Something like -10db for the whole curve. If no one has the link I'll post it when I get home.

If you go into any authorized Bose retailer, you'll notice they are off in their own area. They are required to NOT place the Bose speakers anywhere where they could be immediately compared to another speaker. I wonder why they wouldn't allow direct comparisons...

Hello:

Since Bose came out and we compared them to Klipsch a friend of mine made the comment Bosee... B...

Their price and the attitude of their sales staff have always been not to my par.

I wonder if they would even give today's efficiency.

When I first saw the ads for "the Wave" radio, I just started thinking "right, wave your money bye bye."

dodger

----------------

On 7/15/2004 1:14:00 PM D-MAN wrote:

Fish,

I can't see a reason to not publish the specs anyway, whether or not someone can make heads or tails out of them.

Seems to me a serious speaker manufacturer should be capable of providing the specs when they are asked for.

Something's FISHY with that! (pun unexpected but somehow ironically satifying)...
2.gif

DM
2.gif

----------------

That is because there is a gap in freq responce between the bass box (not subwoofer) and the little cubes. they don't even cover the whole freq range. later i will see if i can find the article that i read. Somebody here on this forum showed it to me. I think the freq responce of the bass box was some where aroun 40-50 hz up to 180 hz and the little cubes were around 300-350 hz up to 20khz ish. THis is just off of memory though. i just want to make apoint about the gap. I always tought there was something missing in the sound. They never impressed me even when i new nothing about audio. Again i will see if i can find that article again.

----------------

On 7/15/2004 10:38:54 AM Scp53 wrote:

I decided that I would ask bose some technical questions about there crapst... I mean lifestyle system. heres what I wrote and heres what they told me- just what I had expected,not a DAM THING!!!

----------------

If I recall correctly, somebody else sent Blose an e-mail asking for specs on one of their AcousticMess sets and got the exact same response. Must be a form-letter that they send to anybody asking for tech specs on thier product. I would not be surprised if they have the exact same thing on paper if somebody wrote to them through "snail-mail". And as somebody mentioned above, when asking one of the sales-droids at the local Blose store, pretty much got the same thing. Probably was trained to say that when asked about tech specs. Samething for thier phone support (If I recall, somebody on here actually called up Blose asking for tech specs and got "shunned" the same way).

I do agree with the one point that specs or not, it is still a good idea to actually listen to the thing before making a decision on purchasing. Still, as was already mentioned, it would still be nice to see some specs. On the issue if two products showing the same specs, than I would certainly like to listen to those two products to deteremine if there truly is a difference and go with the one I like better (which may end up being the cheaper one). At least with knowing the specs, it makes it easier to narrow down choices. That is most likely the main reason that Blose hides thier specs, to many people that knew how to interpret them would immediatly skip Blose for something better.

Also, here is the oft-mentioned article where the guy took apart a Bose AcousticMass 15 system.

----------------

On 7/15/2004 1:17:55 PM damonrpayne wrote:

There is a well known link (hopefully someone can post) where someone did in fact take apart a lifestyle or acoustimass as well as do real tests. They found the construction to be unbelievably cheap, not even using MDF etc. There are literally "gaps" where the system crosses over at LF and HF where sound is 0db for a few hundred hertz. Nice. Most of the midrange is like +7 db because that seems to be more psychologically appealing. The sub? Something like -10db for the whole curve. If no one has the link I'll post it when I get home.

If you go into any authorized Bose retailer, you'll notice they are off in their own area. They are required to NOT place the Bose speakers anywhere where they could be immediately compared to another speaker. I wonder why they wouldn't allow direct comparisons...

----------------

ask and you shall recieve the link

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I tend to think of myself as an inquisitive person. I know this can be annoying at times, as evidenced by a response my former coworker gave me one day. He had been in my line of work 25 years longer than I, and so I regarded his opinion/answers greatly.

I asked him,"How does blahblahblah work?(I don't remember the exact question)"

To which he replied, "F.M.!"

What is "F.M.?" I asked back...

"F*cking Magic, Boy!"

And then I became enlightened.

Bose holds all of the great secrets and spells to the wizardry and sourcery that is sound.

Quit asking.

16.gif

I once asked a guy in a blose store why the new blose 5.1 and 6.1 systems did not support DTS. He said because it was new and bose did not want to risk implenmeting it in case it failed. Then he went on to say that as time proved, DTS did in fact fail. I then aksed if there was a way to use an external decoder. He said no.

For the record, DTS came out in 93, only 1 year after dobly digital.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Bose (generic)is an absolutely incredible company. Seriously!

You really to take your hats off to Bose which has very good marketing expertise. They could sell ice to an Eskimo!

Two big things go for Bose in a hi-fi, whoops, sorry, an appliance store. The first is people see the tiny cubes, and they actually work! (Miracle number 1)

The well trained sales people employ some clever manipulation of the customer's psyche by exploiting the boom and tizz phenomena. The customer is led to believe they are actually buying this hi-fi miracle because it is actually sonically superior to other products.

The result of course is the customer walks out of the store with a Bose box under their arm. They set them up, and listen to them, and then realise they have purchased a boom and tizz sound system which cost a lot of money!

This is where the second big thing kicks in. This is where the Bose magic manifests itself. The victim becomes defensive. They've been taken. Will they admit it? No way! They become BIG Bose fanatics. They will work overtime to promote their great purchase to any one who will listen. They've gone over to the dark side. (Miracle number 2)

So hats off to Bose 1.gif

----------------

On 7/15/2004 1:17:55 PM damonrpayne wrote:

----------------

What is funny is that the local Best Buy has the Bose display setup right next to the Klipsch Synergy!. Thus it is extremely easy to make direct comparisons, and the differences is so stunningly obvious! Anybody that has falf-decent hearing could easily hear how much clearer and dynamic the Klipsch were there. What is even funnier is that every one of the sales staff I talked to said they much prefer the Klipsch over the Bose (as well as just about every other brand of speaker they got in that place).