I did something stupid with my new RC7... help

Ou8thisSN

okay, so there is the serial number sticker that was kind of peeling so i took the whole thing off, and it left the glue. Like an idiot, i set the back of the speaker against the carpet and got carpet fuzz/fibers on where the sticker used to be. I know i cant use paper towels, how do i get the glue/fibers off?

Hopefully it doesn't take the finish off too. 2.gif Let me know how it goes. I bought my RC-7 from an unauthorized (gasp) dealer and they remove the serial stickers before they ship and also left all the glue. I just left it as-is, but if there's an easy way to get the stuff off without ME experimenting.. 3.gif

I've found sometimes that taking a towel (cloth) and running some pretty hot water (the type that you can't hold your hand under for too long) and soaking the towel in that, then taking it and scrubbing the goo with that works sometimes...I haven't, however, tried this on nice expensive speakers, so do so at your on discretion.

peanut butter!

you may think im kidding, but peanut better is the best sticky crap remover i've ever seen. Just put a little on your finger and roll the peanut butter with your finger, you'll eventually get all the glue off in no time.

I bought an RC-7 a month or so back and it said it was an RC-7 on the back sticker but it read only 125 max watts. I called my dealer who had Klipsch call me directly and they confirmed it was indeed an RC-7 by the serial number and simply sent me a new sticker that was printed correctly. So call Klipsch and they will send you a new sticker directly I'm sure.

Edit: Klipsch gave me the option of getting a whole new speaker if I wanted one because of a little sticker. I said the correct sticker would be fine. Awesome customer service.

We use prep-sol on the finish of our airplanes and it does not take the silk-screen placards off but will remove any tape residue on the finish. I dont know where you could get any, I have only seen it in 1 gallon cans. Oh and this stuff works great on leather also.

thanks for all the replies, i think i will try the goo or the lighter fluid thing. I have the sticker, and i kept it with the paper work. local dealer has no more cherry rc7s so i cant get another one, nor do i want to go through all that hassle. anyway, i hope the speaker works, i was just able to get it out of the box somehow. This whole summer i have been extremely ill and recovering, but my arms and legs are too weak to do much of anything, much less lift the Reference 7 speakers. My dad and his friend will be over today to move the RF7s/RC7 to the HT, when i'll get to *finally* hook it up to the svs/denon and experience true 5.1 surround. (had the bose, but it didnt do the room justice)

anyway, thanks for all the advice folks.

----------------

On 7/23/2004 10:13:11 AM Ou8thisSN wrote:

thanks for all the replies, i think i will try the goo or the lighter fluid thing. I have the sticker, and i kept it with the paper work. local dealer has no more cherry rc7s so i cant get another one, nor do i want to go through all that hassle. anyway, i hope the speaker works, i was just able to get it out of the box somehow. This whole summer i have been extremely ill and recovering, but my arms and legs are too weak to do much of anything, much less lift the Reference 7 speakers. My dad and his friend will be over today to move the RF7s/RC7 to the HT, when i'll get to *finally* hook it up to the svs/denon and experience true 5.1 surround. (had the bose, but it didnt do the room justice)

anyway, thanks for all the advice folks.

----------------

do not use lighter fluid as it has NAPTHA...which will eat away the finish.....

Start with the most mildest product...try it a few times....before going to agressive chemicals that can ruin the finish....

Ask a local wood refinisher if unsure...

Really try mayonaise....it has oils in it which will loosen the glue and make it wipe up...it may take a few times...but the oil in mayonaise is very mild....

Also mayo works well at removing water marks on wood as well......

good luck

oh cool, i'll have to try mayonaisse too then. i just like using peanut butter cuz you can just apply it and roll it in your fingers and then you've just got a ball of peanut butter and goo that you can easily throw away.

when you use the goopier stuff, do you just wipe it off with a damp rag or something?

----------------

On 7/23/2004 2:00:21 PM DrWho wrote:

when you use the goopier stuff, do you just wipe it off with a damp rag or something?

----------------

I apply it however is easiest....and let it DWELL or sit a while and do its thing of loosening the gunk I am trying to get off.....

See this is problem for most who try to clean is not letting product dwell enough to do its job....if a product is not harsh...it needs to work a while longer to do its thing.....mild is always better....

see...you can always clean twice...but if you clean once and ruin finish..it is ruined for a long long long time...

good luck