A Message to The Horn Bashers

neo33

"There are MANY non-horn-speaker advocates with whom I've communicated that have asked me why I would choose to listen to a type of transducer that has the reputation (in some circles)of being inaccurate, distorted, harsh, honking, overly aggressive...and so on and so forth."

I am quite certain that PWK's response to these horn bashers would be his immortal word: "BULLSH!T"!

----------------

On 7/27/2004 5:12:34 PM neo33 wrote:

"There are MANY non-horn-speaker advocates with whom I've communicated that have asked me why I would choose to listen to a type of transducer that has the reputation (in some circles)of being inaccurate, distorted, harsh, honking, overly aggressive...and so on and so forth."

----------------

Most audiophiles are after "pretty sound", not accuracy of sound reproduction (or High Fidelity as it USE TO BE CALLED!). My 79' Firebird's car stereo produced "pretty sound". The system in my old S-10 Blazer was killer for the time (included a Nakamichi TD1200 deck) but I would hardly call either one accurate or convincingly realistic.

Neo:

Your concern with this 'horn-bashing' issue is, in my opinion, somewhat out of proportion. I have been involved with this hobby for a long time, and my reference to past debates with others who do not care for horn speakers goes back many years. Some of these people were actually close friends of mine. I raised the issue as a way of illusrating the idea that many will continue to use such speakers despite what others might think about them, or how waterfall plots and dispersion characteristics differ from dynamic drivers in more conventional sealed or vented enclosures.

Since you copied my quote above from the long SET thread, I feel I should mention this. Regardless of the issue, there are going to be those who do not agree with your thinking or way of looking at things -- whatever the topic. That's just how it goes.

So, I think this "...message to the horn bashers" is maybe something that should not cause you concern or alarm. I don't see people bashing horns on this forum, and in fact a common interest in horn technology is probably a key factor in what has led many to this particular site.

Once again, the quote you copied above was only used to illustrate a point in relation to another matter. But in the end, if someone wants to 'bash horns,' let them bash away and don't worry about it. You know what you like, and you should be at peace with that.

Erik

Erik, I understand your point but I am sure that there are many horn bashers frequent this board and will take your statement out of context. Just like those SET bashers taking my posts out of context in the "To SET or not to SET" thread.

Ok, I understand that Neo. However, it might not be inappropriate to wait until that happens to address the issue. I think that some of us might be bouncing around in a ring, boxing gloves on, but with no opponent with whom to exchange pokes and jabs.

Sheesh, why do I feel like school has already started!? I still have 1 week left.....

Sheesh, why do I feel like school has already started!? I still have 1 week left.....

...because there are a couple of regular posters who sound like your highschool students in Houston, or my grade eights in Toronto. They want to argue because they can, who cares if what they say upsets anyone, who cares if they make sense, who cares if they troll to their heart's content? They want to hear their own voices and see their name in print. It does wear on me after a while and unfortunately I tune out the comment almost as soon as I see the name. Yes, it sounds like school.

On the last sentence:

I was full of envy in early June when you started your holiday. Now, I like the five weeks I still have left before school starts. If only it either wouldn't rain or the temperature goes above 70 for more than two days in a row. It has felt more like May, than the month of July.

Hi, Don:

It sounds chilly up there! I will trade you a roasting, humid day down here for the cool rain you are having. Alas, yes, one week left. I'm looking forward to seeing many of my students again though, and I am thankfully at a good (but extremely large!) school.

I have to extend apologies, Don. I somehow how caused an email to vanish in thin air, which happens to me sometimes -- the computer challenged so-and-so that I am.

Enjoy your 5 more weeks off!

Erik

Erik:

The email, is it the one I sent you, or your response that went into cyberspace. I will resend mine to you.

It didn't crack 20 today, 68 degrees F and it is the last week of July. It is supposed to be 25 tomorrow, 75F or so.

Don

----------------

On 7/27/2004 7:33:54 PM Dflip wrote:

They want to hear their own voices and see their name in print.

----------------

Interesting. Maybe that's why we're getting local weather reports on an *audio forum* that is supposed to be about how specific amplifiers match with Klipsch speakers. LOL.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 9:21:26 PM DeanG wrote:

I'm sure all of the "horn bashers" will chime in any minute. It's all to easy to imagine hundreds, if not thousands lurking on the Klipsch forum.

----------------

LMAO

Oh, the long winding road of audio preferences...

At age 18, a visit to the Klipsch factory made a strong impression on me. At the same time I was amazed at the sound of a K-Horn I was also dismayed by the capability of the tweeter and midrange to "kill flys on the back wall 40 feet away..." My tender young ears seem to like everything a bit muffled.

By age 42, I have some really good SS gear that sounds damn near like tubes along with some planar speakers that have incredibly smooth highs, tight deep lows plus a midrange to die for. I am happy as a clam.

Age 53 - I decide to set up a surround system for my 65 inch big screen. In the course of this exercise I wind up at the local Klipsch dealer listening to the reference series. Wind up taking home the tiny RB-25's for use as surrounds. Upon arrival at the house I want to see if these little speakers can 'grow' with good electronics powering them. Set them up on two wooden TV trays and hook them up to my stereo power amp that is running my wonderful planar speakers. Put on one of my favorite LP's that is recorded really well. Only these two little puppies running in the room and NO sub. Their ability to convey the essence of the music itself is ASTOUNDING!

Now all I want is more Klipsch (bigger and possibly all the way to K-horns)...

Sort of says it all to me.

How many NON-HORN advocates do you think you'll find on the Klipsch forum?

Talking about the benefits of horns here is preaching to the choir...and bad-mouthing horns here will mean that we all ignore all future posts by the baiting little troll!

So what's yer point?

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/28/2004 10:51:29 AM D-MAN wrote:

How many NON-HORN advocates do you think you'll find on the Klipsch forum?

DM
2.gif

----------------

Yeah, really!

2.gif

I think he'd get more of an argument over at AudioKarma. Been hanging out there a lot lately because they've got a McIntosh forum.