Heresy bass extension

bdc

A few months ago, it was mentioned here that placing a K-28-EP woofer into a Heresy would drop the bass response down to 39hz(!). Has anyone tried this yet? I know a few people said they were going to. I'd like to know how it went and what the impacts on the sound were.

Claims that are contrary to physics should be examined closely.

Without changing the box size the only thing that can be done to get more bass is to lower the efficency.

If you went to a 4 ohm woofer and dropped the voltage sensitivity another 3dB you could extend the bass one-half an octave. The taps on the midrange and tweeter would need to be moved to keep the tone balanced.

Audax makes a woofer that will work in a Heresy box, it is a little more work than just a drop-in.

You can get a little more low bass from your Heresy by stuffing the box with fiber, dampening the enclosure with Dynamat or the equivelant and renewing the xover capacitors to clean up the sound. Including replacing the 33mF electrolytic bass capacitor with F&F or adding one if not there.

The Accustic stuffing makes the enclosure seem bigger to the woofer. Damping the enclosure allows more of the sound energy to radiate from the driver and eliminates much of the cancelling energy radiated by the enclosure. Rope damping the K-700 helps clean up the bass also.

You will end up with a little deeper but far "stiffer" bass and in my opinion sound closer to the Klipshorn in attack than you started with.

Rick

"Rope damping" means putting rope caulk on the horn to help keep it from resonating. Metal horns tend to ring at certain frequencies, and this caulk can help eliminate the ringing.

Marvel

Just plain Heresy!!

I improved my bass response by stacking my Heresy upside down on an Altec 12" in a 412 cabinet. Then disconnecting the Heresy woofer and running the cable from the Heresy XO to the Altec woofer. Not using the Altec HF horn nor its XO.

heresywithbass.jpg

hehe....

Hmmm...

I'd guess that the increased effective volume from the fiber fill just compensates for the real volume lost from all the damping material and the bigger wire.

A significant improvement from using the K-28-EP in a Heresy cabinet is hardly likely. As stated above, the physics work against it. For an idea of what it is capable of look at the KPT-1201 cinema surround it is used. It only claims 67 Hz to 11 kHz +- 4dB and 99dB @ 2.83V/m in a somewhat larger, ported cabinet.

My advice to anyone who is not satisfied with the bass from their Heresys is to get a good subwoofer.

FWIW any of the woofers used in the Heresys over the years are capable of extended response in the right box because their resonant frequencies are well below what they are capable of in a Heresy cabinet, typically around 30 Hz plus or minus a few. But there will be tradeoffs. You may loose efficiency, or have a bigger, ported box, or wind up with something that does not sound as good.

You will never get corn or Khorn bass out of a heresy but there are a couple of simple things you can do to maximize what it is able to produce, and I don't think you will need a subwoofer.

First, get them sitting solid on the floor, off of any risers or shelf. Next, try putting them in corners. That will definitely give more bass. They are small and manueverable. You should take advantage of that and play with placement within the corners to maximize the bass. Clear out the corners of junk, furniture, etc. and give them room to develop their sound.

Finally, and many forum members don't like this one, but it works for me 3.gif is to use a GOOD EQ and touch up the bottom end.

You can certainly make heresys more than acceptable in the bass area. Have fun.

bdc,

It would be worth doing a search on the forum for 'heresy on steroids' to see what Al Klappenberger posted on his project using leftover parts. He has got a ported cab with a 12 inch woofer which goes to 30 hz. Heresy woofer. Interesting project.