hiding speaker wires

wallst32

Anyone have recommendations for hiding speaker wires? I've got 2 Monster XP 14 gauge wires running on the floor for 2 feet, then up and around the molding/frame of the sliding deck doors so about 21 feet, and then along the floors for another 4 or 5 feet before it gets hidden by the couch. I'm only interested in covering them up, no use of power tools.

I guess I'm familar with the ducts and rails and tubes you can get, but they all look kind of cheap. Was wondering if anyone is using something they are happy with that is both functional and looks nice?

Thanks.

i tried to hide wires by sticking them under the molding at the base of the drywall where the carpet meets the wall, but there's barely enough room for 1 16guage wire under there and its a pain to get out again. its not worth it, just buy some plants or something, or go through your walls, ceiling, etc...

Home depot has plastic ducts (~1-1.5 inches wide, 0.5" thick or something of that sort). They come in different colors and look very nice and clean when mounted along the bottom of the wall. They cost less than a dollar per foot and are a very nice and clean way to hide your wires.

The problem with going through the wall is how many fire breaks did the builders put into the wall and how many other wires are there for you to drill into? If it is an outside wall it is crammed with insulation. A nice small cheap plastic duct (two piece that snap together) which you can paint to match the wall.

JJK

Hi

You can score the sheetrock and create and nice channel, just try not to go to the other side and break it through. And stick the wire in the channel you created, secure in there with hot glue or some plumbers putty and throw a couple of coats of spackle on it. And sand it out smooth, then throw another coat on. And hit with the spackele again, and sand it lightly. Slap some paint on it. done I have done it here take a look!

Good Luck1.gif

post-13414-13819257478282_thumb.jpg

HI

I believe they are rc- 3 II, not rc-7(dont have tht kind of dough yet!!) ...I bought those at home depot for about 12.00 dollars they matched perfect and came out just the right lenght for the speaker I think they came in 6, 8 and 10 in lenghts. I think those were 8's. The two brackets just support the speaker no shelve.. They were in the shelving department and were no more than simple shelf backets with a fancy plastic face.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 8/16/2004 1:25:04 PM meuge wrote:

Home depot has plastic ducts (~1-1.5 inches wide, 0.5" thick or something of that sort). They come in different colors and look very nice and clean when mounted along the bottom of the wall. They cost less than a dollar per foot and are a very nice and clean way to hide your wires.

----------------

I went to Home Depot, and their 3/4" plastic channel came in 5 ft lengths @ ~$2/ft. Add $2-3 for each elbow, tee, and joint cover, and hiding my speaker wires started to look really expensive.

I don't suppose you have a part number for the <$1/ft stuff?

Really I did was use a ultity knife and sort of carved a v into the sheetrock in the area I wanted to run the wire, just try not to go throught the other side. Lay the wire in there and secure ( small tacks or even glue) it so it doesnt pop out while the spackle is drying. Throw a couple of coats of spackel on it and sand it, if it needs more spackel do one more coat and they lightly sand it.

Very easy