3-channel amps

gtDark

Anyone have suggestions for a good solid 3-channel used SS amp? I am content with powering my rears with my receiver at this point but would like to add better quality power up front. I know there are tons of 5 channel amps out there, but I think I might get better sound quality with a 3 channel; what do you think? I would love an Aragon 8008, but can't afford that much. I'm looking to spend <$600, but of course less would be nice.

Matt-

I have a Denon POA-8300 powering my front trio. It is a 120wpc THX amp, separate power supplies for each channel and sounds very nice on my Chorus IIs. I would think your Ref speakers would do very well with 120W. Not sure if you want more power than that though. I've never had any problems with my system with "only" 120W. Denon isn't making them anymore, but you can find them used on eBay or Audiogon. I really enjoy the Denon/Klipsch sound. Good luck.

Acurus 200x3. 200WPC, runs like an ice cube. You should easily find one used under your budget. They were about $12-1500 new. I bought one when Klipsch disco'd the Acurus line for about $550 from Ubid, brand new. I use it for my front speakers, and let my Denon power the rear (for the time being -that will go to outboard amps, too).

With my recent move, I haven't reinstalled my Acurus into my system, and so am using the receiver for all channels. Last night I was listening to Pink Floyd DSOTM in SACD Multi-channel. The female vocal on "The Great Gig in the Sky" used to send chills down my spine, but without the Acurus it just sounded nice. Gotta get that Acurus back in the mix.

Thanks for all the replies guys. So far the Acurus and the Parasound look the best to me. One quick question though I hadn't thought of before. I live in an older house with pretty minimal wiring, e.g. in the living room where my gear is there are only four outlets (2 per plate). Everytime my bass (SVS PC+ sub) hits even moderately hard I get a few horizontal lines across my CRT tv screen, and they go away after the sub eases off. Will this living room circuit provide me with enough current to get good sound out of one of these amps? The breaker is 15A and basically the only things I have hooked up on that circuit is my audio stuff.

----------------

On 8/20/2004 7:10:13 AM gtDark wrote:

Thanks for all the replies guys. So far the Acurus and the Parasound look the best to me. One quick question though I hadn't thought of before. I live in an older house with pretty minimal wiring, e.g. in the living room where my gear is there are only four outlets (2 per plate). Everytime my bass (SVS PC+ sub) hits even moderately hard I get a few horizontal lines across my CRT tv screen, and they go away after the sub eases off. Will this living room circuit provide me with enough current to get good sound out of one of these amps? The breaker is 15A and basically the only things I have hooked up on that circuit is my audio stuff.

----------------

Wowsers. That's a serious wiring problem. Time to run (or have someone run) a new dedicated circuit for your HT.

----------------

On 8/20/2004 9:13:35 AM Griffinator wrote:

Wowsers. That's a serious wiring problem. Time to run (or have someone run) a new dedicated circuit for your HT.

----------------

Yeah I wish; my present living arrangement makes that impossible though. Do you think sound quality will suffer to the extent that buying this amp would be impractical at this house?

Well, despite no one being able to answer my power question, I went ahead and picked up a Parasound HCA-1203a on Audiogon this afternoon. I ended up with the Parasound over the Acurus because I found a better deal for the prior. I also leaned toward the Parasound because many reviewers described it as giving a more warm sound than the Acurus. Many thanks for the replies.

----------------

On 8/25/2004 3:03:03 PM gtDark wrote:

Well, despite no one being able to answer my power question, I went ahead and picked up a Parasound HCA-1203a on Audiogon this afternoon. I ended up with the Parasound over the Acurus because I found a better deal for the prior. I also leaned toward the Parasound because many reviewers described it as giving a more warm sound than the Acurus. Many thanks for the replies.

----------------

I'm interested to know how it turns out - I'm in the process of making a similar decision.

Thanks!