new Belle thread-pics

Tom Mobley

marvel,

in the reading I did before starting the veneering project I ran across several references to panels cupping if veneered one side only. I believe it's expected. I'm using the iron-on method with TiteBond II glue. The stuff makes a killer bond.

I've got more pics, but haven't tried to post again since the forum was not working. I need to take some time to sort through the pics and re-name them. I was able to get the sides and top of the bass bin on today, so that looks like a little actual progress.

----------------

On 10/18/2004 10:55:06 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

in the reading I did before starting the veneering project I ran across several references to panels cupping if veneered one side only. I believe it's expected.

----------------

The part i don't understand is why it warped even though you veneered both sides? Perhaps the time interval between the two was too long?

Rob

still can't post pics. I might have to dig around and resurrect some of my old web space. I don't know if it's still usable.

I just dunno why it did the warping thing. the panel started out flat, stayed flat after veneering one side, cupped after veneering the other side, but re-veneering the first side didn't help at all.

wonder why they're not fixing the forum?

Well, they got the forum fixed, so here's a few pics. I left off on page 2 of this thread whining about how the bottom panel cupped on me after veneering on both sides. (see page 2 if interested). I tried putting another layer of veneer on it, didn't help. I mounted the doghouse on it with sort of heavy-duty attachment, didn't help in the front, but helped some in the back where the doghouse is wider. here's a pic of the drilled for the doghouse install.

bottomdrilled.jpg

post-9215-13819257529062_thumb.jpg

here's the assembly of the rest of the bin. I glue'n'nscrewed the top to the doghouse, measuring and squaring carefully, then attached one side. used the saw for flat table, and a piece of leftover riser material as an alignment block while I glued it on and hit it with a dozen or so 2" brads into the bottom and top panel. Then I realized it would be easier to just set it on end on the floor and install the other side. No sweat. Lots of glue though.

binonend.jpg

post-9215-13819257534712_thumb.jpg

reasonably square too. the end of the square is within 1/32" of the top. I'm pretty happy with how this is coming together. The insides of the side and top panels get flat black paint. The front and sides of the riser are veneered and finished along with the front raw edges of the plywood. the outsides of the panels will be veneered and finished like the center front panel.

binwithsquare.jpg

post-9215-13819257536962_thumb.jpg