Better DVD player

malechi

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and I have a question about DVD players. I just bought the Panasonic DVD-S47 because of the good review that cNet gave it. I only paid $80 for it at Best Buy. I needed a new one because my Onkyo DVD player (DV-SP300) would randomly not play the audio portion of DVDs. In searching eBay, I see that I can get a Denon DVD-910 for not much more than the Panasonic. Which one is the better buy? I noticed that the Denon does not play DVD Audio but the Panasonic does but only in 2-channel.

i can't say how the denon compares head to head vs. the panny. the older panny's are incredible. the importance of dvd-a and sacd is up to you. it is paramount to me. although i have not heard of 2 channel dvd-a, i'm sure it does sound good. i have the denon 2900 to utilize for dvd-a and sacd. simply put dvd-a is great, but to get the full effect it will cost you. the denon 2200 can be had for around $300. the samsung 841 can be had for $200.

I think Burtlively was referring to the online prices for a refurbished Denon 2200. If you find a good one, it should last you for awhile. Have had a refurbished 2900 for over a year, and it has performed flawlessly.

Go to Denon's website, and look up authorized online vendors. There are several that sell refurbished, (i.e. Dakmart, etc.)

Enjoy.

Carl.

hi guys. this is cut and paste from ecost.com (authorized dealer). please note they have these in stock ready to ship. they're also on the "bargain countdown". i have bought several products from ecost.com. they do a fine job.

Denon

DVD-2200 Universal DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player with progressive scan Reconditioned by Denon

Independent power supplies for the audio and video sections eliminate any mutual distortion. And audio circuits are physically separated from video circuits, for amazingly noise-free picture and sound

eCOST.com Part #2411004

Mfg. Part #DVD2200 PC&

Mac $279.00

Consider a Rotel DVD player. I picked up a second hand one in good condition as most high end equipment is, for around $400. I have seen the same player on ebay for around $250

I couldnt believe my eyes when I connected it. The audio and picture quality is awesome. The unit sells new for over $700

I always wondered how a DVD player could be worth so much. I would probably never pay that much for a new one, but if you look around, you can find very good condition used ones for a fraction of the price and trust me, they are well worth it.

----------------

On 8/21/2004 2:39:19 PM iwillwalk wrote:

do you need dvi for hdtv from comcast?

----------------

No, and using DVI for DVD isn't a great idea either. I sold several first-gen Zenith HD-upsampling players to some forum members because the upsampling was available via the component video outs.

The DVD Consortium came down hard on Zenith and they revised the firmware on this unit to disable HD component out.

Stupidest thing I ever heard, really - it's an upsample - what's the problem? It's not like you can't pass 480p through a scaler and then capture it.

Frankly, rather than blowing money on a DVI cable and an hd-upsampling player, I'd suggest the money is better spent on a proper video scaler that can upsample ALL your sources to 720p or 1080i. Nextvision has a line quadrupler I use in my entry level packages - retails for about $600, but can be had for around $250 at most e-tailers (myself included)