Klipshorn

Jim Mirco

Hi Dudes,

I don't own Klipshorns, but my brother does and those big buxom speakers ignited my own passion in audio.

However the last few days I feel I have entered a parallel universe.

Is it not the fact that the Klipshorn is a REAL famous speaker, both amongst Klipsh enthusiasts and the general Audio world???

I get a phone call from my brother (a computer illiterate) who wondered if I could chase up a set of tweeters as his had expired.

I phoned the Australian importer who asked for a model number??

"they don't have a model number they are just Klipshorns" I said.

"Well I've never heard of them you will need to quote a model number" he said.

The next day I rang back and spoke to different person, this time he had heard of a Klipshorn, and in fact confirmed that they are still sold. (I knew that) Phew I thought I'm still on earth!!

However no parts in stock get them repaired.

Now I've had normal drivers repaied but never a tweeter, in any case We've got smakeroos ($) in hand so all we want is two Klipshorn tweeters so that my technically uninterested brother can repair with a screwdriver and soldering iron.

So Here I am on the pc trying to find Klipsh so that I can phone or email a request for parts. however when I searched for Klipshorn it came up no match on this site?

So dudes how about a phone number or email address to the factory so I can get apair of tweeters in the snailmail.

Also can the latest drivers be fitted to a pair of Seventies vintage speakers without crossover or woodwork mods? I distinctly remember getting a quote for a full driver and crossover upgrade a few years ago, this must have been when I was still living on earth.....sheesh I don't remember moving.

Thanks in anticipation.

Seeya

Jim

Hi Jim

You will be able to get new tweeters to work with the older Khorns. Or you will be able to find some older ones from the members here as well.

Get the SN of the Khorns, they are located on the tag and stamped into the wood in the back of both the top and bottom cabinets and contact Trey Cannon at Klipsch to find out if you need to mod the crossovers or not with the brand new Tweeters.

trey.cannon@klipsch.com

JM

The Australian Klipsch importer is International Dynamics Australasia phone (03)9429-0822. In relation to parts contact Klipsch direct via this website, addressing mail to: parts@klipsch.com. I have used this facility before with great success. You should get a personal response in a couple of days. Good luck.

"So Here I am on the pc trying to find Klipsh so that I can phone or email a request for parts. however when I searched for Klipshorn it came up no match on this site?"

check spelling, it's KlipsCh, as in Klipschorns. There's plenty of good people in Indianapolis Indiana and Hope Arkansas who can help you. Welcome to the Forum, you've found us!!

Besides your bro's tweeters, stick around here and we'll help you spend plenty of buckaroos! wwoooooohhhooo

Michael

Jim,

You shouldn't buy new tweeters. Have yours overhauled.

Your best bet is to find a really good Pro Audio Tech and have him replace the diaphragms. The part you need is for an E-V T-35, T-35A, T-35B, or T-350. Klipsch still uses the tweeters, but you don't want to know the price of a new one, now called K-77-F. T-35 diaphragms should be available in OZ. If not, you can order a pair from Klipsch, or you can order a pair from BEC, who is a member of this Forum. There are 2 kits available. One is a bare diaphragm and requires careful soldering; it costs $US25 or maybe $AU33. The other is the diaphragm already mounted in its "support"; it should cost about $AU52. This is the only way Klipsch sells repair kits. The Klipsch price will be in the $AU100 range plus shipping/duty. That one only requires careful insertion into the magnet and careful reassembly. I'd go that way even with a good tech.

I make these recommendations based on your brother's disinterest in techy things. Replacing the mounted diaphragm is really easy.

10.gif Hi dudes'

I've sent an email to Trey at Klipsch but since you asked the serial # is 10R689 and the tweets have K-77 on 'em.

Also It seems the Klipschorns are still made and sold but is it true that they have two woofers now??

There is never any news in the Hi Fi press on the early models, only about Paul (RIP) passing away and about the newer and smaller HT stuff.

When was the last test and review on a Klipshcorn or Belleklipsch or La- scala etc?

Anyhow

seeyalater

Jim

Jim,

The current manufacture Klipschorns still have a single 15 in. bass driver. The much anticipated and delayed Jubilee is a PWK designed two way fully horn loaded speaker that does have two woofers.

You have gotten some excellent advice in this thread. I would only add that a private message or email to BEC (Bob Crites) would be appropriate as he can guide you through the process of replacing the diaphragm of these tweeters, or diagnosis of another problem, as unlikely as that would be. Bob can provide you with the parts for the project, which is easily accomplished.

Best regards,

Dee

----------------

On 8/23/2004 10:51:46 PM Jim Mirco wrote:

When was the last test and review on a Klipshcorn or Belleklipsch or La- scala etc?

Anyhow

seeyalater

Jim

----------------

The last proper review of the Klipschorn was 3 August 2001. You'll find this review in the StereoTimes on line archive and the reviewer was Constantine Soo. Or use the search engine in eCoustics.com.

Hi Jim, 10R689, 1977 was a very good vintage for Klipschorns your brother is a lucky man! May your luck happen with a set of twins. In the years that I have had my '77s I have had to change the tweeter diaphrams once too. Not an daunting task for even the novice. I bought my replacements from Bob Crites and he provided very good, pictorial, instructions for their replacement. If he will ship you a pair from Arkansas to Australia your brother will be back in business in a flash.

Bob has ongoing ebay auctions for K-77 diaphrams with a BIN of $44.99US plus postage. Search ebay for k77 you should be able to find them. G'od day!!

Rick