RF-7 system vs THX Ultra II a listening evaluation

htxpert

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/25/2004 5:03:18 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Lucky for me I'm also a music first guy and designed my system with that in mind. Now I don't have to be jealous.
1.gif

----------------

Hi

If music is your priority in your system and you have

the Reference system you have absolutely nothing to be jealous of And you have made the right choice in your system selection

2.gif

----------------

On 8/25/2004 1:35:18 PM htxpert wrote:

I just completed an Install with a highly regarded entry level pre amp and I thought that its DSP was terrible information that was present on other pre amps I have installed was buried or omitted on this pre amp Did you evaluate the two with an Analog source at all or just digital ?

Cheers

And As Always

Happy Listening

2.gif

----------------

If you don't mind, could you name that Pre-Pro...I'm in the market for a new one myself and want to know which to avoid.

Answering your question, yes I compared the two with analog, multi-input SACDs. As far as a vertical RC7, the gymnastics and cosmetics of that may take some ingiuity. As of now my RC sits atop my Hitachi RPTV in my family room. I have planned a dedicated HT addition here at my own home but my HOA keeps shooting me down. If I ever get that approved and built, I will move to a PJ and screen which will make that easier to hide.

JR

I have a very similar set up to what you were comparing to the THX Ultra 11 and i must say that i have spent a long time listening and thinkning about the price difference between the 2 system and thinking was the THX's really worth the extra bucks, Nah i did not thought so. I even added 2 Subs just to match the THX's and still saved a few bucks and i really believe my system was better than the THX's .. My configs is as shown below..

Wow, what a thread, my eyes burn from reading it all 1.gif GREAT info, even though I have NO plans to swithch from my RF-7/RC-7/RF-5 setup, I am throwing around the possibility to add more amplifiaction to the system. Right now I am running a Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX, 100x7, but I would LOVE to get a seperate amp that pushes 200x5 at least. People keep raving how much low end their RF-7's pick up and the amount of detail that comes to life. I think my system ROCKS right now, and REALLY want to get a good amp on it to see what it's capable of. And I have PLENTY of low end, dual SVS 20-39 CS's powered by a Samson S1000 amp, so no worries there, plus I plan to add Dual Ultra's soon.

I LOVE the bright/crisp/clean sound the Elite receiver gives out through my RF's, what amps out there would you all recommend for that same "detailed" sound??

Scott

----------------

On 8/28/2004 11:59:07 AM Orange Peel wrote:

I LOVE the bright/crisp/clean sound the Elite receiver gives out through my RF's, what amps out there would you all recommend for that same "detailed" sound??

Scott

----------------

ARAGON of course. That's my recommendation for what you are seeking. I myself run Rotel amps because I prefer the warmer/fuller sound of those amps when matched up with the brightness of the Klipsch references.

JR1.gif

I do like Aragon's stuff, but they seem VERY expensive, anything else that compare to them in a lower price range? I could have gotten a Sunfire Cinema Grand for around $2k, not sure if that was a "great" deal, but seemed like a decent one. Then I read that Sunfire's line is a warmer combo with Klipsch, I don't think I would hate it though :) I used to run a HK AVR 520 and it was warmer than the Elite and I still loved it. Thanks JR for the info and for any other info you can provide.

You could get a set of Outlaw 200x1 monoblocks for far less than 1.5k. I've seen some good reviews of those and i am sure they'd perform better than a single 200x5 $1.5k amp.

Also you can check out the Reference 200.5 by B&K Components.

----------------

On 8/29/2004 10:33:52 PM Orange Peel wrote:

I read that Sunfire's line is a warmer combo with Klipsch, I don't think I would hate it though
:)
I used to run a HK AVR 520 and it was warmer than the Elite and I still loved it. Thanks JR for the info and for any other info you can provide.

----------------

I would seriously take a look at Rotel in that case. I run a $1000 RMB 1075 (rated 120 wpc continuous on all five channels driven) in an enormouse listening room (7000+ cu ft)at high SPL and have NEVER clipped it, not once! Some will say the RF7s would do better with the 200 wpc RMB 1095 ($2K), but I have never found the need for quite that much. My benchmark program material is the Master & Commander DVD where the cannon volly's are at extreme SPL have significant power gobbeling low frequency information on left/center/right and come at you repeadedly with extreme intensity. Cranking up the volume, my ears give up way before the 1075 does. The 1075 shows no sign of instability under that heavy use and stays cool as a cucumber. The individual cannon shots can be distinctly descerned so I know the amp is maintaining good control of the speakers (damping). I have my fronts set to LARGE and my center to Small, so the RF7s (and my 1075) get to do a lot of LF heavy lifting.

You could start with your receiver as a pre-pro and then step up from there to a Rotel RSP1068 ($1799) which I have AB'd against the Aragon Stage One and found to be sonically quite equivalent, and have more features (PLIIx). Prices are list, YMMV most Rotel dealers will discount 10-15% (sometimes more for a previous customer). Picking a good dealer is important. Used Rotel gear is another possibility, and sometimes a good choice. Rotel products have excellent long term reliability (even though there are some infant mortality issues) and Rotel has been known at times to honor warrantee to second owners in spite of their printed policy stating otherwise. Used 1075 seem to hold their value well, and sell on Audiogon for anywhere from $700-800. Not bad considering they can be had new for $850-900!

----------------

WAF

It has been my experience that smaller objects in the home have more of an appeal for women than larger ones

(We are talking speakers)

----------------

I'll bet there were a few folks in there that were breathing a sigh of relief until you put the "We're talking speakers" disclaimer in there!

9.gif

I intially did look into Rotel, then people told me they were on the warmer side and I was looking into the brighter side of things. I would really need to demo one on my gear and see how it sounds I guess. I was looking on Audiogon and the Aragon stuff seems to be ok priced, $1500-$1800 for a 200x5 model. Not sure what to do though, I wish I had more funds to just buy something, listen to it, take it back if I don't like it, know what I mean?

If I get an amp it will be a 200x5 just to have that extra headroom, and maybe better low level listening, detailed, etc at lower volumes, even though I love to listen to my stuff cranked 1.gif

I'm torn right now between getting another SVS (PB2-Ultra) or an amp, so it's still up in the air on what to do. I love bass a lot, and on the other hand, I would love to have better mids and highs out of my RF's, so I have no clue what to do 7.gif

What do you think would compare to a Elite receiver as far as sound goes?

----------------

On 8/30/2004 6:15:54 PM Orange Peel wrote:

I'm torn right now between getting another SVS (PB2-Ultra) or an amp, so it's still up in the air on what to do. I love bass a lot, and on the other hand, I would love to have better mids and highs out of my RF's, so I have no clue what to do
7.gif

----------------

Frankly, I dont think it matters. Why? Because I know that you will get both in some order... it is just all a matter of time. lol...

haha, probably right 9.gif BUT, it would be a little too farther apart for my liking, so I need to pick the "best" choice for now 3.gif

I just looked on Audiogon, and there are plenty of choices for the amp, b&k, Aragon and Rotel. So this sucks, they are all similiar prices and the same price as the SVS 8.gif

I have plenty of bass now, but there is never enough 11.gif

What is the best amp out of the three above?

----------------

On 8/30/2004 12:42:31 PM whell wrote:

----------------

WAF

It has been my experience that smaller objects in the home have more of an appeal for women than larger ones

(We are talking speakers)

----------------

I'll bet there were a few folks in there that were breathing a sigh of relief until you put the "We're talking speakers" disclaimer in there!

9.gif

----------------

Surely you don't think that I am trying to imply that the guys that have the big old honkin

RF-7s are trying to make up for some kind of physical deficiency do you?9.gif

Personally I feel real comfortable with the RB-10s3.gif

----------------

On 8/30/2004 6:15:54 PM Orange Peel wrote:

If I get an amp it will be a 200x5 just to have that extra headroom, and maybe better low level listening, detailed, etc at lower volumes, even though I love to listen to my stuff cranked
1.gif

----------------

Be your own judge, but as I mentioned I really crank my system (in a huge room)and never have fallen short of headroom. I'm not sure the additional 2 DB would be worth it to me. Remember, 3 DB is about the smallest difference that the human ear can clearly descern. It is also a point to note that the RF7 achieves Dolby Reference level of 115 db @ 1 meter with about 20 watts. If I felt I needed more, I would bi-amp with two 1075s (6 DB) before I would use a 200 wpc 1095. As far as inner detail at lower volumes,the 1075 is an incredible amp in this reguard. It is also quieter than most of it's 200wpc brethern. These two comments are based on actual listening tests, not on specifications.

Yeah my 53TX can get the RF's cranking and not clip out either or distort the sound, I was just under the impression, since everyone praises seperates, that an external amp will provide better sound and clearer detail, along with better low end from the RF-7's. I run my all my speakers right now in SMALL, since the low end just isn't there for me when they are set to LARGE. My SVS's pick up the LFE with ease and things sound much nicer.

I am really leaning towards the PB2-Ultra right now, since it seems that the amp route won't yeild me as much enjoyment. I could pick up the Rotel 1075 fairly "cheap" on Audiogon, so if the bass is overwhelming, I will just sell the Dual CS's and pick up the amp.

Is the 25w/channel more really gonne be noticable, since the Elite has 100w/channel, the Rotel is gonna be 125w/channel??

Thanks a MILLION for the help!! And it doesn't hurt that the Rotel (in the silver face) looks amazing 9.gif

JewishAmPrince wrote:

----------------

Be your own judge, but as I mentioned I really crank my system (in a huge room)and never have fallen short of headroom. I'm not sure the additional 2 DB would be worth it to me. Remember, 3 DB is about the smallest difference that the human ear can clearly descern. It is also a point to note that the RF7 achieves Dolby Reference level of 115 db @ 1 meter with about 20 watts. If I felt I needed more, I would bi-amp with two 1075s (6 DB) before I would use a 200 wpc 1095. As far as inner detail at lower volumes,the 1075 is an incredible amp in this reguard. It is also quieter than most of it's 200wpc brethern. These two comments are based on actual listening tests, not on specifications.

----------------

I would have to respectfully disagree with Jerry on this one. Or you could go with a 1080 for your mains.

I also run a Rotel 1075 (for my RC-7 and RB-75s), and a 1080 (the two-channel version of the 1095) for my RF-7s. I have listened to my RF-7s in two channel powered by both the 1075 and the 1080. Based on my listening, the 1080 (or 1095) provides more than just extra headroom with respect to your mains. The sound is slightly fuller, and the bass response is much more pronounced.

That being said, I agree that the 1075 is a fine amp. I also have never pushed it to clipping, and I listen to movies and music at insane levels. For movies, you probably would not hear a difference between the two amps. However, I wanted to point out that I could hear an improvement for music, at least with respect to my RF-7s.

Either way, I think that Rotel + Klipsch = a good match.

Carl.