Klipsch Belle speakers in Atl. Ga.

Dr. Blues

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got them currently hooked up to my 2-channel HK630 twin-power receiver. Something is definitely not right here. Just playing them gently I checked the drivers the only way I know how...1) bass tone control all the way up, treble all the way down, pan to left and right and both woofers play, 2) bass tone control all the way down, treble all the way up, pan to left and right and both tweeters work. As the speakers sit right now they sound very un-musical. It's hard to explain but both don't sound clear at all, like they've got a quilt over the fronts. Any specific suggestions? Thanks guys.

At a minimum I would replace the cap with the broken terminals. Since you got them for $750 I would buy a pair of Bob's "AA" crossover replacements and pop them in, it will make a world of difference in the speaker's performance. If they sound dull and lifeless and the drivers are all functioning, it would have to be attributed to the crossovers. Cover the tweeter with your hand on the front and put your ear up to the midhorn and make sure that it is playing. Nice looking speakers and very nice price. It won't take much to get them up to speed.

GT,

Looks like a nice pair for the $$. The picture makes it look like the broken cap is not original. Looks cleaner / darker than the other components. Maybe it was replaced.

Does the other speaker sound OK when playing alone? I am assuming after seeing the picture that only one speaker is a problem and the other is OK.

I would try reconnecting the cap the same as the other crossover and see if the sound improves. It may be that simple.

Although the electronics look old and dirty, nevermind. Eventually they all look that way unless you work extra hard to keep them clean. Everything may work just fine when connected properly. If not, then you are probably looking at some cross over work or replacement.

I would also open the bass cabinet and inspect and tighten the woofers.

You still have a very nice pair of Belles.

Congratulations! A very good buy on a nice pair of Belle Klipsch.

After you get the crossovers squared away, you may want to consider moving the speakers 3-4' out from the back wall and 1-3' in from the side walls. Just use small increments and compare the changes to those of their present locations. I use Belle Klipsch for my HT mains and this works best for me. YMMV based on your current distance from the speakers.

• 5 years later...