Klipschorn and Sony>

jbudge

I have a set of Klipschorns coming my way and am getting ready to "learn" hopefully with the help of some folks on these forums. I have a gift cert for the Sony store and would like to use it to begin to build. Any suggestions on a component to pick from Sony? In other words, if you were to get one thing from Sony to put into your system, what would it be?

Thanks in advance!

----------------

On 8/25/2004 5:32:32 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

uh, a digital camera to take pictures of my Klipschorns and post them on the Klipsch forum?

----------------

That or one of their high-end SACD players. Whatever you do, stay away from amplifiers. They may do OK for HT but for 2-channel, Sony makes nothing that will do those khorns justice.

I have no bones to pick with the advice to buy a ES SACD player, thos eare veyr nice units...BUT I can tell you that the new digital recievers sound quite nice, like all the new digital stuff out there they give amazing sound for the dollar..if you will not be doing surround sound with the klipschorns (probably not) than invest in the good source component, if the k-horns will be part of a home theatre and you do not have a top quality HT reciever then DO check out the sony digital units...btw, no one asked how big the gift certificate was, hard ot know what to recommend without knowing your price range. regards, tony

----------------

On 8/25/2004 6:52:10 PM garymd wrote:

That or one of their high-end SACD players. Whatever you do, stay away from amplifiers. They may do OK for HT but for 2-channel, Sony makes nothing that will do those khorns justice.

----------------

Roger that, good buddy!

DM2.gif

Ditto on the amps - although I haven't heard the new digital stuff.

As to SACD - If you plan on listening to a lot of SACD I agree. Having recently audition a Sony SACD unit vs. Denon HDCD using standard CDs I vote for the Denon. That said any of the multibit decoders do a very good job with standard CDs (which are the largest part of my collection).

Welcome, good luck and give us a review.

Certainly audition the high end range of Sony's SACD players. I have a Sony QS standard DVD/SACD player and it is quite remarkable on 2 channel SACD playback. The new range of digital receivers put out by Sony are quite good - but we're talking about matching them with the mighty Klipschorn. They will most certainly drive the Klipschorn's and will probably sound okay, but really, out of respect to these magnificant speakers, you should grace them with something a little nicer!

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I love my Cornwalls but the K-Horns are in a different league. I have a pair of K-horns from the 50's with a fiberglass horn section. I think you will love them too. Ok now my advice for what it's worth: I would not consider a Sony SACD player. You can buy a Denon 2200 or a Pioneer Elite 45a and it will sound as good as the Sony (IMHO) and also give you access to DVD-A discs. Why limit yourself only half of the high-rez formats.

I would sell my gift certificate on Ebay (you'll get about 90% of its value) and buy a used tube amp (Jolida 102b or a Cayin M-12) and then spend the rest of my money on a Denon 2200 (you can get a refurb for about 298.00) The Sony ES line is awesome but very expensive and it still will not do your K-Horns justice. You only need a few watts to drive them. A little SE or PP amp will do wonders. See if you can audition some tube amps and SS amps just to see what is out there. Not everyone likes the tube sound but K-Horns were designed to take advantage of tubes. Some of the old tube amps sound dark and muddy but a well designed tube amp with well matched speakers are wonderful. The older Eicos and Scotts are great values.

FWIW, Sony has made some very fine sounding amps in the past. Specifically, in the ES line. I drove my k-horns with a TA-F606ES integrated for about five years. It was an 80W/channel mos-fet design that I felt left little to be desired, sonically, even driving super-revealing horns. It was very natural sounding and musical; not hard, brittle, forward, or any of those other typical cliches used to describe affordable solid-state amps.

Guest Anonymous

I would buy the brand new 34' widescreen xbr crt from the sony store to put inbetween your new klipshchorns thats about it, The sony stuff just doesn't it cut it as far as sound quality goes especially with a fine set like you have.

----------------

On 8/28/2004 11:40:22 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

jdm;

Sorry but the gift card is best used on a digital audio playback component.

If you have not thoroughly investigated Klipsch heritage with tubes they are only reproducing a limited amount of the detail and soundstage.

----------------

I'm not saying heritage with tubes may not sound subjectively better to some people, just that it is not better in any objective, quantifiable sense.

"A limited amount of the detail"? I'd dare say one of the reasons some folks prefer horns with tubes is because they (tubes) produce LESS detail, which tends to soften the in-your-face presentation horns can exhibit with solid state. After all, ss will almost always have lower noise levels and lower distortion.

As to the soundstage issue, I don't really see how either ss or tubes would have an advantage there simply because of the output devices. After all, amplifiers are just supposed to amplify; make the signal bigger. Anything beyond that is noise or distortion.

My Audio CRAP 2.giflist:

=======================

If you can tell by ear its Solid-State, it's CRAP.

If you can tell by ear its Tubes, it's CRAP.

If it costs less than $1000.00 new (retail), it's CRAP.

If its JAPANESE, it's CRAP.

If it has a plastic cover (or front panel), it's CRAP.

By following these 5 simple guidelines, you can avoid a potentially catastrophic audio-gear-acquisition-error(or AGAE).

DM2.gif

----------------

On 8/25/2004 6:52:10 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 8/25/2004 5:32:32 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

uh, a digital camera to take pictures of my Klipschorns and post them on the Klipsch forum?

----------------

----------------

Definetly!

----------------

On 9/1/2004 5:29:56 PM D-MAN wrote:

My Audio CRAP
2.gif
list:

=======================

If you can tell by ear its Solid-State, it's CRAP.

If you can tell by ear its Tubes, it's CRAP.

If it costs less than $1000.00 new (retail), it's CRAP.

If its JAPANESE, it's CRAP.

If it has a plastic cover (or front panel), it's CRAP.

By following these 5 simple guidelines, you can avoid a potentially catastrophic audio-gear-acquisition-error(or AGAE).

DM
2.gif

----------------

No offence, but imho, your guidelines are full of CRAP.1.gif

Take the sony money and get a digital camera so you cn take pics of the the HK430 your going to buy off e-bay and then buy some seals for the K-Horns for the tail board.Then post the pics here so you can brag,,,lol,,,you didnt say are these new Klipschorns comming your way? Is it going to be 2 channel only? Rick2.gif