Will 125 WPC be too much for Cornwalls?

robertl

Hello-

I have a beloved Marantz 2325 125 WPC receiver and if I match it up with Cornwalls will it be too much power? . I don't plan on cranking up the volume very loud. I would like to keep the Marantz ,which is mint with wood cabinet and has been aligned recently.

Also anybody near Charlotte,NC with Cornwalls for sale? Also I have a pair of A/D/S M9 speakers for $550 on Audiogon that I want to sell to help pay for Cornwalls.

Cheers,

Robert

Robert, I used a McIntosh MC-2105 (105 WPC) for a year and half with Cornwalls and found the sound to be very nice and smooth. Of course, the speakers required so little power that the blue meters on the Mac barely (and I mean BARELY) moved. I thought the meters were broken at first until I increased their sensitivity.

What matters is the quality of the amp's first few watts, and the level of distortion at that power level. If you like the sound, that's all that matters, really.

Personally, I like the Cornwalls with my 3W SET amplifiers but I have to pull them out of my HT configuration and drag them to the other end of the house. When properly set up, esp. for low volume listening (70-90 db), they sound wonderful. When throwing a party with head-smashing rock and roll, however, I'll hook up the Scott 299B.

Two different animals, really.

In the end, however, it depends on your tastes in music, your room's setup, your source, etc. etc.. If you like how it sounds, enjoy!

----------------

On 8/30/2004 12:44:21 PM robertl wrote:

Hello-

I have a beloved Marantz 2325 125 WPC receiver and if I match it up with Cornwalls will it be too much power? . I don't plan on cranking up the volume very loud. I would like to keep the Marantz ,which is mint with wood cabinet and has been aligned recently.

Also anybody near Charlotte,NC with Cornwalls for sale? Also I have a pair of A/D/S M9 speakers for $550 on Audiogon that I want to sell to help pay for Cornwalls.

Cheers,

Robert
----------------

Robert, I use two Luxman M-117s at 420wpc with mod CWs. Ran them for years without a problem.

Well.....just one anyway. Blew a K-33 at 121db. Ooops!

Regards,

Terry

you should have no problems, just make sure those speakers NEVER see full output form the reciever or POOF! high power amps may have a higher level of noise then low power amps since designers sometimes expect the bigger amps to be used with less efficient speakers, you may find some low level hum or hiss. if not, go right ahead and enjoy the power! regards, tony

I ran my Klipschorns with my 2325 for almost twenty years and loved every day of it. (Well the time I got to listen anyhow.)IMHO the 2325 is among the best SS amps ever produced. A similiar quality amp today would probably cost close to 5G's

Go for it!!!3.gif3.gif3.gif

Rick

Put simply, you have more power than the Cornwalls will ever use. I would be greatly surprised if you could use 50 of those watts. Paul Klipsch recommended 30W for the Cornwalls to produce 115 dBs. That is head bangin' plus country. At a certain point, depending on the preamp, when you turn the volume it goes up exponentially, in other words the next notch is piercing on the ears for anything more than 45 minutes. It will play louder, but you may not enjoy it.

I think were all in agreement on several issues.

1) Good clean power 0.5 watts to the first 5 are to be clean.. Just having a high powered amp does not guarantee good sound.

2) Really 30 watts continuous say peaks of 80-100 will almost make your "ears bleed" or at least feel that way.

3) Having good clean power is the must here.. Above all else.

Enjoy the Cornwalls!!

Others will paraphrase Paul Klipsch too. "If you do not like the source material quality wise going in.. Your gonna hate it when it comes out."

• 2 weeks later...

In general, too LITTLE power has a far greater potential for damage than too much power. You could probably destroy those Cornwalls a lot faster with an overdriven 20 watt receiver than with a 200 watt amp. Clipping distortion is the great killer of tweeters, woofers, etc.

That's what I love about my McIntosh amp - the Power Assurance system, in particular Power Guard, means I need not worry about clipping damaging my speakers. Yeah, it costs more, but in my few months of experience I think it's worth every penny! I smile anytime one of those red 'limit' lights engage.

Hey, even if you NEVER play music loudly, all it takes is one accident... Here's a 'fer instance' I found at Audioreview.com...

http://audioholics.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/Pinnacle,PN5+/PRD_120394_1594crx.aspx

"In 2000 a frisky 3 year old nephew of mine cranked the Yamaha 2020 (100 watts per channel) to Maximum volume while I was in the shower and I guess you know the results.

I sent the speakers back to Pinnacle in upstate New York for repair. Unfortunatly the original tweeters were not available so they replace them with "upgraded" tweeters which don't sound nearly as good."

Imagine if they'd been very expensive speakers with exotic drivers? The guy would have been crying. If he'd had a McIntosh amp, probably nothing would have happened - it just would have been loud until he could turn it down. I recall from Roger Russell's McIntosh website that they used to test speakers at McIntosh for durability in a sound chamber by running one of the big 250 watt/channel amps so hard it was clipping 50% of the time, and they'd leave it like that for a DAY or TWO!!! The Power Guard protected the speakers beautifully.