watch 60 min 2nite

iwillwalk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGoo---It was at Okinawa that the Navy suffered it's heaviest losses, even worse than in the epic naval battles around Guadalcanal. About 5000 sailors were killed there and 7000 wounded, mostly by Kamikazes.

10th Army, the mixed Army and Marine force that fought the land battles at Okinawa, lost 7,613 dead and 32,000 wounded. 110,000 Japanese were killed.

It's funny how many people don't know that the Army did more fighting in the Pacific than the Marines did.

Tom,

The kamikazis also attacked the navy at Iwo Jima.

We wanted the island because P-51D Mustangs could fly to Japan and back with the B-29s from Tinian and Saipan. The 29s could also make emergency landings at Iwo Jima. The **** knew the danger and made an effort to stop the invasion.

Bill

m00n,

Sorry to rain on your parade, but common IBM typewriters were capable of typeing the memo that allegedly was typed with MS Word. Try a comparison of MS Word's superscripts to the memo in question; they superscript differently.

My wife just demoed the superscript capability of an IBM Selectric II; it was similar to the memo's superscripts. There was an IBM model that did proportional type. She thinks that it was the "Excecutive" model and they were hated due to the difficulty in correcting typos.

The alleged experts should have talked to an experienced typist before they jumped to conclusions. I did forensics for 11+ years in accounting and it took me less than 20 minutes to start a wedge in the forgery story. By tomorrow, 60 minutes should be getting a few giggles showing how the documents could have been typed on a government IBM typewriter.

Bill

What about this:

1) The memos included "curly" apostrophes rather than straight apostrophes found on typewriters.

2) The font used in the memos is Times Roman, which was in use for printing but not in typewriters. The Haas Atlas the bible of fonts does not list Times Roman as an available font for typewriters.

3) The vertical spacing used in the memos, measured at 13 points, was not available in typewriters, and only became possible with the advent of computers.

Does that IBM typewriter do all of those things too?

Tom, neither Bush nor I have been spouting off about his service record. I agree, some wealthy and connected people got into the Guard and Reserve the wrong way. That's BS but remember, this...for every guy that got into the guard, for every guy that ran away and every guy that got a school deferment, some other, unlucky but willing, guy had to go and serve. I served with guys from all walks of life. Mostly middle of the road, more poor than rich. Now, there are, for sure, inequities associated with service but there's always been pretty equal opportunity. Men and women from all economic levels have fought and died for the rights, benefits and freedoms that we enjoy today. This would include the right to succeed and become wealthy. Hey, some people are born into it, some marry it and most work their butts off and make it the hard way. It's life Tom and life here in the USA is pretty darn good. Fact is, an overwhelming majority of military personnel seem to support the President. That means something to me. Ya know, we lost, (through retirement and early discharge) an awful lot of very capable military men and women in the 90's. Maybe 60 minutes ought to examine what happened there.

On 9/8/2004 6:47:49 PM Marvel wrote:

"Boomac,

Is your sig supposed to say Quartets? It reads Quatets.

Just want to get something about audio in here.

Marvel"

----------------

You're right Marvel. It's a typo but if I correct it I lose that old sig format. It's the lesser of two evils!

Although I used state of the art IBM Selectric when working at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art in the Summer of 1974 and know for a FACT one of our "balls" had the little "th" symbol, I too believe there is something rotten about these memos. And I think the Bush adminstration KNEW they were bogus and are now sitting back and having a big riotous laugh at the expense of CBS News and the Democrats.

I also think that this sort of dirty trick comes right out of the Karl Rove playbook! After all, he learned from the master: DONALD SEGRETTI!

Karl Rove is a genius. Pure evil, but still a genius. Brilliant, filthy move in a long string of them. Turns my stomach.

You just crack me up with your paranoia, Allan. So Karl Rove, Evil Genius, leaked forged documents to the Kerry campaign so that they could give them to 60 Minutes, knowing that Dan Blather would be so excited about running Anti-Bush Story No. 349 that he wouldn't get the documents properly checked. Yeeaaaaaaaaaah, that makes sense, sure! LOL!!!

http://politicalities.typepad.com/politicalities/2004/09/forgery_follies.html