DTS problem

D-Rex

Okay, I know I have one of the cheapest DVD players ever on the market and I will certainly try and get it replaced as soon as funds are available but I seem to have a problem with playing the DTS surround settings on my DVDs.

Last night I went to watch The Passion of the Christ in DTS surround and there was no sound. When I changed it to DD it played fine. So, I need to find out if the problem is my cheap APEX player (which has DTS on the front of it as if it does have the ability to play this format) or is it my Denon 3801 which I purchased off Ebay. I put Titan AE in and tried to play it in DTS and it didn't play either so I know it wasn't just a problem with the DVD, as remote a possibility as that would be. So, what do I do to test this kind of problem?

Throw in every DTS encoded DVD possible and play it. Although I'm sure you know, make sure you select DTS in the audio setup menu. I don't think the 3801 requires this, but if it does, manually engage the DTS surround mode via remote or front panel (I only say this because for DTS ES soundtracks on my Pioneer Elite 45TX, you have to manually engage it). If you try these two different methods, and STILL no sound emits, it's your receiver. After all, if your receiver is working properly, the DVD player won't have to use it's own proprietary and built-in DTS decoder. And if not a single DVD works, then your receiver has been singled out.

----------------

On 9/9/2004 1:25:41 AM MrMcGoo wrote:

Try going into setup on the DVD player and be sure that DTS output is set to bitstream. If this was not set properly, then there would be no output for DTS.

Bill

----------------

I like this answer better than there being a problem with my receiver! But, I will see if I can implement all of the advice given here this evening and try to determine what is wrong.

Thanks all!

Dallas

If your reeiver is not DTS compliant...it will not play the DTS source material...

So both the DVD player and the receiver need to be DTS unless you use multi channel 5.1 output from DVD to a 5.1 input on the receiver (6 RCA plugs)

The Denon 3801 is DTS compliant. I would suspect that you should take your time, with manual in hand, to go through the entire initial setup process, making sure you have all you speakers set correctly, and make all inputs are set correctly (i.e. digital, analog, coaxiel etc.) depending on what your using to connect up your player.

Also, simplist yet, but it's caught me more than once. Sometimes while fooling around with front of the receiver I accidentally have hit the B button for a secondary speaker setup. Make sure A only is selected. If it's on A and B you may be only getting sound through the B channel. Also make sure you aren't running it on Exterior In.

• 3 weeks later...

I think from perusing some of the answers on previous DTS questions I have determined that I don't have the digital connections that is required to make DTS work. So, can someone tell me if all I need is a digital connection from my DVD player to my Receiver or do I also need a digital connection from the Receiver to the TV. I have an old TV from around 1993 that doesn't have a digital connection. So, can I play my DTS formatted DVDs with a connection upgrade on my DVD to Receiver to digital or am I stuck until I upgrade my television?

D-Rex

The digital cable or Toslink that transfers the Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream to the receiver will also tranfer the DTS bitstream. Your receiver should automatically decode the DTS bitstream.

Be sure that the DVD player has the DTS logo onits front and that the DVD player's setup menu has DTS set to bitstream.

Bill

PS: Not all Apex DVD players handle DTS per the Apex Digital web site, so look for the DTS logo on the front of the DVD machine. No DTS logo, no DTS. B

----------------

On 9/26/2004 6:10:43 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The digital cable or Toslink that transfers the Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream to the receiver will also tranfer the DTS bitstream. Your receiver should automatically decode the DTS bitstream.

Be sure that the DVD player has the DTS logo onits front and that the DVD player's setup menu has DTS set to bitstream.

Bill

PS: Not all Apex DVD players handle DTS per the Apex Digital web site, so look for the DTS logo on the front of the DVD machine. No DTS logo, no DTS. B

----------------

The Apex player does have the DTS logo on the front. I have my DVD Player, Receiver, and TV all connected together with red/yellow/black RCA cables. Dolby Digital does come through those just fine so are you saying the DTS should work through those fine as well?

You're Apex might be like my older NAD T-550 DVD player. Consult your owners' manual to confirm this, but:

- my NAD's internal D/A converter will decode the Dolby Digital 5.1 information on a DVD, and pass it through the 5.1 analog outputs on the back of the player to the 5.1 analog inputs on my reciever. The NAD's internal D/A converter is not designed to decode the DTS soundtrack on a DVD. However;

- my NAD will read the DIGITAL output of both the Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks of any DVD source material, and send them through to my receiver, via TOS Link or Digital Coax cable from the NAD's digital output to the receiver's digital input. I drop the DTS encoded disk into the NAD, select the DTS soundtrack from the DVD's menu (most DVD movies, etc. default to the Dolby Digital soundtrack, so you must call up the movie's menu and select the DTS soundtrack), and then make sure my DTS capable receiver is set to auto select, so it will automatically detect and decode the DTS digital signal coming from the DVD player. Most of today's HT receivers, including your Denon if I'm not mistaken, will automatically detect the type of digital signal (DTS, Dolby Digital, etc.) and decode it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, all of you have been very helpful! I have one more question. I connected the DVD Player and Receiver together with an S Video cable because I thought that would create a digital connection. Did I need to disconnect my A/V cables completely for that to work or is that not a function of the S Video connection?

No, The S-VHS connection will only improve the picture quality by separating the chroma and luminence it has nothing to do with the DIGITAL connection needed to playback in DD or DTS. You can leave the composite jacks in place since they carry the right & left audio downmix but you will not need the yellow one if you are feeding signals into your receiver and TV via an S-VHS connection.

----------------

On 9/27/2004 11:06:08 AM Frzninvt wrote:

No, The S-VHS connection will only improve the picture quality by separating the chroma and luminence it has nothing to do with the DIGITAL connection needed to playback in DD or DTS. You can leave the composite jacks in place since they carry the right & left audio downmix but you will not need the yellow one if you are feeding signals into your receiver and TV via an S-VHS connection.

----------------

That makes sense, hence the word 'Video' in the name... yes I am a bit slow at times... 3.gif

Thanks,

Dallas

• 3 weeks later...

I finally parted with 10 bucks and bought a toslink digital cable so now my DVD player is digitally connected to my Denon 3801. However, I still cannot get any sound from any of my DVDs with DTS sound. DD is coming across fine through the toslink cable but when I select DTS on the movie and DTS on the receiver it isn't making a sound, Anyone else have any ideas? Anyone with a 3801 that has experienced a similar problem? Am I missing a simple solution?

Thanks,

D-Rex

What does the display of your receiver read while in what you are thinking is DD? You may be getting confused with DOLBY PRO-LOGIC. This is not DD5.1. Can be confusing for sure. Is the receiver detecting a digital signal? There should be a red LED on the front panel indicating a digital signal is present.

With that receiver, I believe it's like my 3300, you will need to assign the digital input to the corresponding input you have your DVD player connected to.

Also, as mentioned before, you will need to go into the set-up menu of the DVD player and insure DD5.1 and DTS is "turned on".

----------------

On 10/20/2004 8:37:44 AM Steve Donalson wrote:

What does the display of your receiver read while in what you are thinking is DD? You may be getting confused with DOLBY PRO-LOGIC. This is not DD5.1. Can be confusing for sure. Is the receiver detecting a digital signal? There should be a red LED on the front panel indicating a digital signal is present.

With that receiver, I believe it's like my 3300, you will need to assign the digital input to the corresponding input you have your DVD player connected to.

Also, as mentioned before, you will need to go into the set-up menu of the DVD player and insure DD5.1 and DTS is "turned on".

----------------

The receiver defaults the DVD Player digital connection to input 1, with both my receiver and my DVD player indicating that a digital connection is being made. I disconnected my toslink cable and the digital light indicator on both goes away. I reconnect it and the indicator light comes back so it does appear the digital signal connection is being made.

Since I don't have a digital connection to my TV I am not getting the on-screen set-up menu for the receiver so I don't know if there is something there that I need to change to set the system up properly. I will check on the DVD player again to see if there is anything else I need to do but I am selecting the DTS signal be sent to the receiver so I am at a loss as to what else I can/need to do to get it to working properly.