• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wham - wake me up before you go-go

Shenna Easton - morning train

The Darkness - thing called love(?) with annoying screechy voice

Terry Jacks - seasons in the sun

and the list could go on forever....just add Britney, Mahriah, Whitney.....

Doug

----------------

On 9/21/2004 11:21:26 AM dmk wrote:

The Darkness - thing called love(?) with annoying screechy voice

----------------

Oh, tell me about it! "The Darkness" is definitly one of those acts that I just simply didn't "get". Radio DJ's, both on the local FM stations as well as on XM Radio's XM-41 station kept talking this up as this cool new band with a great '80s sound. I listened to them, and frankly, I thought they sucked. That voice annoyed me to no end, to the point I flipped to another station whenever that song came on.

Interestingly, it seems that XM-41 "Boneyard" station does not play them anymore, at least I have not heard them recently. I don't know if the local FM stations still play them, though, as I hardly ever listen to the local station anymore, prefering to listen to XM Radio or to my CDs.

• 4 months later...

The whole aerosmith draw the line tour 1977 what a mess AC\DC WITH BON SCOTT opened an was great, then tyler an perry come on, an were so blasted they were fighting ,an left the stage ,so it was a jam with the rythem ,bass an dums, didn't matter you could't tell what song they were playing with the full line up anyway

sue thompson.jpg

On 9/12/2004 4:10:11 AM space_cowboy wrote:

Instead of favorites, how about hates? You probably have to listen to lots of FM for this to apply, otherwise you would never buy it.

I believe there are two styles of music that make you cringe.

The first is when you are overexposed to something that has some intrinsic worth. First time you hear it, the reaction is 'wow - who was that? ' You run out and buy the CD or album and play it to death. Days, weeks or months later, you don't care if you ever hear it again, and finally, years later when you hear it on the golden oldies, it sounds tired and stale. I also have this reaction with the more popular Eagles and Pink Floyd tunes that have run their course and are worn out.

However, if you get into earlier or less popular releases like Eagles - 'On the Border' or Pink Floyd's 'Animals' or 'Atom Heart Mother', there is still enough novelty to the music to make it enjoyable.

Then, there's tunes that make you gag from the word go. A classic example of this is the fortunately almost forgotten ditty 'Norman' by Sue Thompson in 1961. I'm listening to it now as I type this.

Infantile baby doll voice, banal humming and cooing, and an insipid brass section with percussion that sounds like babies sifting broken glass. Then there's the lyrics.....arggghhhh!

In the spirit of this thread, let me share them with you.

Norman , ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

Norman, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm

Norman, Norman, my love

Jimmy called me on the phone but I was gone, not at home

Cuz I was out parked all alone with darlin' Norman

Bill invited me to a show but I said no, cannot go

There's a dress that I've got to sew and wear for Norman

Norman holds me close to him, Norman kisses me and then

Norman knows my heart belongs to him and him and only him, oh

Norman, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh ohh, ooh, ooh, ooh

Norman, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh ohh, ooh, ooh, ooh

Norman, Norman, my love

Joey asked me for a date, he wanted to take me out to skate

But I told Joey he would have to make 'rangements with Norman

Norman is my only love, Norman's all I'm thinking of

Norman gives me all his lovin', kissin', huggin', lovey-dovin'

Norman, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

Norman, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm

Norman, Norman, my love

post-12323-138192578532_thumb.jpg

Agreed, Celine Dion needs to be sat upon, forcefed cake, and given singing lessons.

(chewing on antacids while typing this)

Whitney Houston

ANY remake of a 70's song done after 1979

Pictures -Sheryl Crow and whatshisnuts

Hank Wiliams Sr.

"Don't Go breaking my heart"

Anything by Billy Ocean

Being a karaoke singer (sometimes) if I EVER have to hear "Friends in Low Places" (Garth Brooks) or "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" (David Allen Coe) again, it will be too soon.

Anything by Nickelback, Godsmack, Creed, 3 Doors Down, Staind, or any of these other butt-rock, no-talent, pop masked in heavy guitar hacks. If I have to hear one more song about how their girlfriend's a Wh*!&, or she dumped them, or about how their parent's mistreated their suburban spoiled asses, I'll puke. Some of the worst music I've heard in my life is now on the radio.

Strange how a killer recording can make you reconsider a particular song that previously made you cringe.

Smilin sent me a copy of one of the new Elton John SACDs and the recording is so good, I've listened to it 2 or 3 times already without cringing! Tiny Dancer and Levon both used to make me cringe when they came on the radio. Now they ain't so bad!

BTW - ALL of the recent EJ SACD releases are amazing. They BLOW AWAY GBYBR! Honky Chateau kicks a$$! Now it doesn't bother me so much that I sold all my EJ LPs (not that it ever really did!2.gif).

Maybe I was a bit harsh...no talent...I was referring to their cookie-cutter, derivative, color-by-numbers song writing. I will not deny that they're 'good' musicians, as far as technical prowess goes. But the same can be said about Christina Aguilera....