what kind of amp

jannegard1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/15/2004 7:15:39 PM leok wrote:

All class A except for the Tripath. Have also enjoyed Nelson Pass Aleph 3.

Leo
----------------

Leo,

I've also heard, and once recommended the SET Aleph 3 in a thread. Somehow I got the impression I was the only one who thought positively about it. SET in the case of this amp means "Single Ended Transistor".

Klipsch out.

Many here also like good, higher power Push-pull tube amplifiers. 'Higher power' in this case might be comparable to or about half of the 45watt/channel amps you are using. Klipschorns are so efficient with what can be accomplished in terms of sound pressure levels with low power amps, even as low as a little over 1 watt, however the size of the listening area becomes a big part of the equation at that level. 1/4 to perhaps 1/2 of a watt in our room is really very loud.

Leo: Kind of a coincidence that you mention Nelson Pass. I've been looking at a couple of schematics and the DIY dept. of Pass Labs for a possible future project. I've got enough on my plate right now,though, as well as another SE OTL kit due to arrive soon. How I wish you lived close enough to stop over for a listen. I think you are one who would/could really appreciate some of its virtues. I'm not saying it's the end-all of amplifiers, but it is a very refined sounding, low-power OTL.

Erik

Janne,

Forget about the SET recommendations. You'd be going about twenty steps backwards. Easiest way to get to the truth about SET is to read some old threads here in the archives.

Klipsch recommends 20 watts minimum for Klipschorns. You could sometimes get by with half of that, but with 1 to 3 watts, no way, no how.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 7:34:55 PM paulparrot wrote:

Janne,

Forget about the SET recommendations. You'd be going about twenty steps backwards. Easiest way to get to the truth about SET is to read some old threads here in the archives.

Klipsch recommends 20 watts minimum for Klipschorns. You could sometimes get by with half of that, but with 1 to 3 watts, no way, no how.

----------------

Not to step on you beak Mr. Parrot, but I own and have used all forms of amplification on K-horns and Chorus2s, and the SET stuff does sound the best,hands down.

Paul:

I've gotta get these darn lesson plans finished for the last two days of the week, but man! Won't you please try to deliver your message/s in a way that doesn't blast anything remotely related to SE amps into oblivion? I made the effort to include higher power amplification in my post, even though I most often use SET amplifiers. We all know this road has very deep ruts carved into it already, and I'm hoping we can express our individual preferences in a way that does not fling hard rock at the opinions and tastes of those who think and listen differently.

I did not say single-ended amps were the only intelligent choice, but rather mentioned them as one option among others. I think that instead of focusing our highly subjective recommendations on which is better concerning the high/low power issue, maybe we could try to objectively describe some of the perceived differences in sound between the two.

Please?

Janne, having some power in reserve is a good thing if you want to play music for a party, etc... You don't need a ton for Khorns, 10-15 W should do the trick. You also need to check past threads for Paul's listening room. I think it is one and a half times the size of a school classroom, with cathedral ceilings going up to the roof, so he does need some additional power. If you have a normal sized room, then you probably get by with less power.

Eric,

I really don't think Paul's post was directed at you. If you read the other posts in here some were not as level headed as yours and basically said that SET is the only way. Which you and I both know is not the truth no matter what the room size is. Someone can get absolute breath taking sound reproduction with any topology whether its Class a, Class a/b, push pull, SET, 1 watt or 1000 Watts or whatever . Its all in the ear of the beholder. Janne will have to find her own special heaven !

Craig

"...the SET stuff does sound the best,hands down."

Yes, for you, for me, and for maybe several others here. However, there are no absolutes that can qualify SET amps as being THE BEST for Klipschorns or any other speaker. I like my amps very much, but that does not mean that sentiment, opinion, or value judgement will be the same for someone else -- in fact we know quite well it is not.

To correct a frequent misconception: My listening room is big, but I do not base my rejection of low-power amps on it. As a matter of fact I've never had a SET in my house. I've heard SET amps in a few other rooms and been astonished that *anyone* could find it acceptable. I know that some people like it, but that's no reason for me to pretend that it is any good.

Craig:

I don't think it was directed at me, either. That wasn't my point. My point had to do with the manner in which the impression of low power amps in general was publicly presented. I could care less if someone thinks I'm an absolute fool because I can get by on less than a watt of power -- it simply doesn't matter to me! What DOES matter is how this seemingly never-ending argument over power becomes such a point of contention and anger in front of a new forum visitor trying to find out a little bit about appropriate amps for high efficiency horns.

I don't care what Paul thinks of the low-calorie diet I feed my Klipschorns, and he knows that.

Erik

...and I totally agree with you on the class of amp issue, as well. I also have a Kenwood SS amp that I listened to last weekend -- a neat vintage thing from the mid-70s, about 40 watts/side, and thought it sounded really good! I also want to try to listen for that problem with the AL network people have mentioned. And now I'm just babbling and really tired from school today.

Ok.....hang the lesson plans, I'll get up at 3:30 and do them.

I want to make sure that newbies who post on this forum are not taken in by a bunch of nonsense about a one watt amp is all you need. Look at these recommendations: SET, SET, SET, SET, SET. Without someone being realistic here, a newbie is going to think there might be something to it. Why put him through such an expensive and wrongheaded experience?

----------------

On 9/15/2004 8:30:01 PM paulparrot wrote:

I want to make sure that newbies who post on this forum are not taken in by a bunch of nonsense about a one watt amp is all you need. Look at these recommendations: SET, SET, SET, SET, SET. Without someone being realistic here, a newbie is going to think there might be something to it. Why put him through such an expensive and wrongheaded experience?
----------------

and that comes from someone who just admitted " As a matter of fact I've never had a SET in my house"