Monster PowerCenters - junk or cool tweak?

kenratboy

Yeah... I have a small Monster HTS800, but I am going to replace it with one of the Furman units. They are heavy pro equipment and I like the fact that they are rack-type. It would be great to localize the power cords from my equipment to the rack.

FYI - partsexpress has good prices on Furman conditioners.

Picked up a Monster 3500 at an estate sale last weekend for $156. No change in audio but some improvement in picture. I also have a AR line conditioner on my other system, same result for 1/2 the money. Leo recently purchased a Belkin line conditioner after considerable research on the circuitry and he noticed a audio difference and considers it a worthwhile tweak at $80.

I live in a town house and don't have any of the problems in power supply you would find in apartments, condos, rural areas etc. so I wouldn't rule out their usefullness but I'm sceptical. If rearranging your cables, wires etc. doesn't take care of speaker hum, IMO chances are it's in your receiver. Kinda doubt these conditioners would be the solution for most (not saying all) hum issues.

Also, from what I've read the Monsters are MOV.

Finally that there fini can really parse a phrase (wonder what he'll do with that).1.gif

Just to say, I, like everyone here, has invested ALOT of money in my HT, for music #1 but HT is not far behind.

I believe in protecting my investment, that simple. When I lived in the Arctic the power went off so many times it more was a lottery guess of what time and when....go figure..10.gif

It has cleaned up my video signal from my local cable Co in all honesty.

As for audio, not really, and as for Satelitte, can't say, but imagine it would as a filter in an essence.

All in all....is your system worth PROTECTION...ask yourself...10.gif

• 1 month later...

I recently bought the following:

Krell 400 ix integrated amp my wife had no idea. Man,if she did.

Marantz 6000 Tuner. got away with it

Marantz 4260 SACD no clue

Now my genious high end audio store pushed the Monster 2600 clean power box. Did zip. Looked different. The surge did come as my wife did an Italian Pizza Dance after figuring all those little lights spelled new. She called Tony, the cousin, who said 350.00

power box, and Oh baby 2500 Krell amp. I hope I never hear Monster again in this forum.

I think he means that he was flying under the wife's radar (with regards to recent purchases) until she saw the fancy Monster Conditioner with all of its pretty lights. That clued her in and prompted her to investigate and .........busted!!

Sorry. I have been there more than once. In fact, that always goes into my decision-making process. Do you think she will notice the new amp or Klipsch or etc......? In fact, I am trying to figure out how long it would take my significant other to notice if all of a sudden Heritage speakers make their appearance downstairs.

Hmmm. May not notice Heresy as early (or easily) as Belles......

Carl.

----------------

On 10/26/2004 4:22:11 PM cjgeraci wrote:

I think he means that he was flying under the wife's radar (with regards to recent purchases) until she saw the fancy Monster Conditioner with all of its pretty lights. That clued her in and prompted her to investigate and .........busted!!

----------------

Ah. Now I understand.

Wow, informative thread! I had thought about getting one of these things also, but wasn't sure if the cost would outweigh the purpose. As mentioned, my cable feed is horrible also, would be nice to clean that up. My theater room is run on a somewhat seperate circuit, so I don't have to worry about outside interference. This is definitely sometihing I will look into in the future.

As for being busted by the wife...LOL I bought a new set of golf clubs a couple years back, and had them sitting in the foyer area ready to go out when my wife stopped to take a look... she said "are these your clubs?" I said yea, I have had them now for a couple of months. Then she had to pull one out to investigate further...."Callaway? she yelled.... these are expensive..." needless to say, I have yet to live that one down.... she still brings it up every now and then. 2.gif

Earlier in the thread, there was a question about MOVs.

I do not know about the Monster units, but I know the Isobars by Tripp use them.

I have read that over time they do degrade.

Sonically they may not seem like they add much or anything at all.

The good ones come with a protection guarantee against equipment failure. There are some points to meet, BUT that alone can be worth the cost many times over in the event of a surge.

Brownouts are a different story. Too low a voltage to properly operate your components.

To cover those one would need a unit that provides continuous voltage. Those can be costly. BUT if you live in an area prone to brownouts, again, the cost of the unit is worth the cost of your equipment.

Some is relative, some not. If you've ever been listening to your radio and someone drives by with a CB that is rigged for power beyond the FCC limit and heard 10-4 good buddy over your set, the filtering can alleviate that.

dodger

I bought the HTS 2000 Monster for protection and I needed the 12 outlets. It also offered good damage coverage. That is all the expectation I had. Once installed it was VERY OBVIOUS to MY ears and the wife's (she is happy with the speakers that came on her computer) that things sounded better. Lower noise floor and all things were just "smoother". Do not have anything video hooked to it so I can not say. Bought mine for $100 cash at Good Guys when it was superceded by the 2500(fancy box). Have noticed lately at the junk stores the HTS 2000 is back, the "improved" version, along with the original price of around $200-$250. Audio Advisor sells/sold this model as well. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with mine. Have unplugged it on occasion, but quickly hook it back up, the difference is still there. I like what it does and have been looking for another "old" model for the television/dish. I also read that TAS liked it and that is unusual, it is too cheap relatively speaking, for those fools. Look around for the original cosmetics and make them an offer. I think you will enjoy it.

As always,

Analogman