Member's Weekly Music Recommendation-Sept. 20

thebes

Welcome back to your favorite place to share music with your fellow forum members.

Last week saw us continue to grow and even lead to several suggestions in the realm of ambient music. Pretty cool stuff.

Rules are simple, just addthe name of individual, group, name of album, type of music (cd,lp etc.) and style (rock, jazz) as best you can. Comments are welcome.

My suggestion for this week is:

Bob Dylans' "Blood on the Track", CD, folk

1st recorded in 1974 a Japanese release recorded by Sony and distributed through Columbia has absolutely stunning sound quality. You'd think it was recorded yesterday. Has several of Dylan's better known numbers including Tangled up in Blue and Shelter from the Storm.

So what's your flavor of the week.

Herbie Hancock, "Dis Is Da Drum," CD, 1994, Polygram. You probably know HH from either his tradtional jazz quartet music, or his 70s-80s syntho-jazz-funk ("Future Shock" etc.). On this one he does some of both, and actually blends the two styles in a surprisingly tasteful way. And for you bass nuts (and aren't we all?), there are some DEEP low freq synth tracks rumbling along the bottom of most of the numbers.

Thebes - I believe that this will be one of the most important musical statements of the year Barbie Rocks

I tried to link to Amazon.com which outlined the lineup of stellar artists that formed a basis for this artistic...er..ugh..hmm...

Thingie! But I believe that my affiliation with BBB and his Diesel/DSL connections may have screwed the pooch on this one...stuff happens. But Hey the pink phenomena may take hold.

Remember this one? Don't you think that this should be Barbie's theme song?

Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs

Caroline laughs and

It's raining all day

She loves to be one of the girls

She lives in the place

In the side of our loves

Where nothing is

Ever put straight

She turns herself round

And she smiles and she says

'This is it'

'That's the end of the joke'

And loses herself

In her dreaming and sleep

And her lovers walk

Through in their coats

CHORUS: Pretty in pink

Isn't she

Pretty in pink

Isn't she

All of her lovers

All talk of her notes

And the flowers

That they never sent

And wasn't she easy

And isn't she

Pretty in pink

The one who insists

He was first in the line

Is the last to

Remember her name

He's walking around

In this dress

That she wore

She is gone

But the joke's the same

CHORUS

Caroline talks to you

Softly sometimes

She says

'I love you' and

'Too much'

She doesn't have anything

You want to steal

Well

Nothing you can touch

She waves

She buttons your shirt

The traffic

Is waiting outside

She hands you this coat

She gives you her clothes

These cars collide

CHORUS

I've been listening to a highly touted band on Merge Records(home to some mighty fine indie rock including Neutral Milk Hotel) called The Arcade Fire. Their album/cd is titled Funeral and it is really good. Reminds me of Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley & Neutral Milk Hotel in a blender. If you like Alter Bridge you will not like this.

----------------

On 9/22/2004 12:30:10 PM Indyjeep wrote:

Is that new Megadeath CD good? Ive been lookin at it, but arent sure if its worth the money.

----------------

I personally think all megadeth albums are worth owning, but I am a fan. I do understand how some albums sound a little mellower. This is more on the speedy side sort of like the "Rust in Peace" album, but also has mellower tunes so you can't really say it's all speed. Chris Poland did the solo work in the studio which he was the dude that was on the album " Peace sells but who's buying". Also Nick Menza is back on the drums which is great. So I would say yeah. "Back in the day" a tune on the new one is killer. Vic's on the album cover also if you like that LOL. But all in all I would say closest to "Rust in Peace" style. Still isn't the same though. Here's the song list incase you would need it for anything. Blackmail the universe, Die dead enough, Kick the chair, The scorpion, Tears in a vial, I know Jack, Back in the day, Something I'm not, Truth be told, Of mice and men, My kingdom come, and another one I forgot.

Heres a Barbie song. I picked this up in Mexico in 1998, it was on a compilation CD.

Aqua Barbie Girl

Hi Barbie

Hi Ken!

Do you wanna go for a ride?

Sure Ken!

Jump In...

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world

Life in plastic, it's fantastic!

you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere

Imagination, life is your creation

Come on Barbie, let's go party!

I'm a blond bimbo girl, in a fantasy world

Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly

You're my doll, rock'n'roll, feel the glamour in pink,

kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky...

You can touch, you can play, if you say: "I'm always yours"

(uu-oooh-u)

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

(uu-oooh-u)

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

(uu-oooh-u)

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please

I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees

Come jump in, bimbo friend, let us do it again,

hit the town, fool around, let's go party

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

(uu-oooh-u)

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

(uu-oooh-u)

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

(uu-oooh-u)

(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)

(uu-oooh-u)

Oh, I'm having so much fun!

Well Barbie, we're just getting started

Oh, I love you Ken!

NOVEMBER 1997

"The fight between Aqua's "Barbie Girl" and the toy manufacturer, Mattel continued. As the song continued to hit the Top 10 and #1 worldwide, Aqua's music label MCA Records decided to counter-attack with a law suit accusing Mattel of making false and defamatory statements about MCA. The counterclaim states: "Mattel's statements regarding MCA were made with ill will, hatred or actual malice toward MCA and were published fraudulently, recklessly, maliciously or oppressively with the intent to injure, disgrace and defame MCA and to blacken MCA's name and reputation throughout the world."

"Barbie Girl" topped the UK Singles chart for 4 weeks and topped the charts in Germany, France, Italy, Ireland and Belgium.

Yeah I remember that Aqua Barbie song. Kinda fun for the first couple listens, then just downright annoying.

My rec. for this week is Angie Aparo, a singer/songwriter from Atlanta. Both The American and For Stars and Moon. The prior is a little more pop/radio-rock oriented while the latter is more acoustic, but both certainly are superb albums. I enjoy both all the way through, song after song until the very end, it is just a rock solid whole album, something I rarely say about an album in this "genre." It's kind of hard to find samples of his stuff online, the links I provided only have a few songs to preview, but trust me, this stuff is good. If you buy the cd and don't like it I'll buy it from you-how about that offer? 9.gif

----------------

On 9/23/2004 11:47:55 AM gtDark wrote:

Yeah I remember that Aqua Barbie song. Kinda fun for the first couple listens, then just downright annoying.

----------------

That's exactly my take on it too.

I listened through it a couple of times, then bits and pieces and then just skipped over to the next song.

Interesting that it was so popular in Europe. Maybe just another US symbol bashing.

Damhnait Doyle, "Shadows Wake Me" compact disc, lattitude records. Pop, but not mainstream, influenced by folk and rock.

Instruments run the gamut from electric and acoustic guitar to mandolin, cello, violin, organ, and conga's. Percussion is especially well recorded, at times the vocals are a little hot in perspective to the rest of the mix.

Wheelman sent me some rockin CD mixes this week, and he's got me going through the archives for some heavy metal to send him. I hit upon one of my old Faves, DEEP PURPLE- at one time the LOUDEST BAND IN THE WORLD.

Two recent reissue/remixes that are very well done indeed. Roger Glover, bass player and producer aka 'the dirty hippy' did Machine Head and Fireball on their 25 anniversaries. The Machine Head album features a remastered CD of the original mixes, PLUS a reMIXED CD by Rog himself. Very clean CD's indeed, you can hear every nuance in Jon's steamy B3 organ playing and Ritchies guitar is just searing. On Fireball, you get remasters, plus a few remixes and some bonus songs recorded during the sessions but never committed to vinyl plus some studio oddities including the 'Noise Abatement Society Tapes' featuring a very souped-up Jon Lord creating much flatulance and fiddling about with the Monty Python theme 'Dennis Moore'. what a hoot!

Well this week I pulled out "Us and Them" Symphonic music of Pink Floyd.

I haven't played this in a while so it was a real treat. The recording features The London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Peter Scholes. It is very interesting to hear one of my favorite bands played by a symphony, adds new meaning to progressive rock in a classical way.

Tracks:

Time

Brain Damage

Another Brick in the Wall

Comfortably Numb

Breath

Money

The Great Gig in the Sky

Nobody Home

Us and Them

Time

Scooter

Joss Stone's current album - 'The Soul Sessions'.

10 scintillating tracks of raw soul by one of the best voices in the business. But just as good as the music is the sound quality. Absolutely sensational! The bass and kickdrum on this album has to be among the best I have ever heard in a compact disc. A demo disc from heaven if you want to show off your system.

Apparently Joss has a new album in the wings. I hope it's as good as this one. 1.gif