DVD concert video recommendations?

unimorpheus

While in a Frys one day I heard the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" live concert DVD playing in the HT demo room. The system in question was a Harmon/Kardon dvd player on a Harman/Kardon A/V receiver w/ some high end Polk HT mains and sub. The system actually sounded pretty good as the Polks have a warm sound to them at moderate volume. This pretty much kicked the HT project into action as I have been planning to get to it for about five years. Well after a visit to the local Good Guys and some spectacular luck I was the proud owner of a pair of RF5s and an RWS-10 (which was latter returned for an RSW-12). The audio and video quality of the Eagles DVD is just spectacular. Now that I am totally hooked on this DVD concert thing can anyone recommend some titles w/ as good a presentation as this DVD. I went out on a limb an purchased a Sade concert DVD as I am a fan of her music. Unfortunately the quality of this dvd is so poor it looks and sounds like a bootleg. As far as musical taste is concerned, I am all over the map so I am open to any suggestions and musical taste. Thanks for the advice.

I own 2 concert videos which I like:

Roy Orbison Black and White, suberb preformance and sonics in DTS and DD 5.1. Backup band: Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Costello, KD lang, Jacson Browne, Jennifer Warnes and others! If you like Roy at all this is a no brainer.

Eric Clapton UnPlugged has superb sonics and and excellent performance as well.

I am always looking for concert videos with good performance and sonics in 5 channel.

----------------

On 9/21/2004 11:16:23 AM mobgre wrote:

I have 3 in my collection that I think are as every bit as good as HFO. All were shot in Hi-Def and have fabulous sounding soundtracks. They are in no particular order.

1. Heart - Alive in Seattle

2. Pretenders - Loose in L.A

3. Godsmack - (Just recently released)

----------------

That Pretenders - Loose in L.A. is a good DVD I love the DTS track. Its also kind of funny that I was actually at that concert with my fiancée...

Another that I like is the Queen Greatest Video Hit 1 although not concert footage its DTS track is phenomenal..

Hi

Mettallica - Cunning Stunts - Sounds great in DD and there's some cool effects and options. There are several songs that are in multi-angle (5 angles - you can watch your favorit member perform or watch the entire stage

Shania - Live in Chicago - originally bought it for my toddler, sounds great, good picture

I have heard alot of good things about Sarah Maclachan's newest DVD

Jon

Santana Supernatural is also well recorded video and audio. If you can find anything in DVD for AKUS (Allison Kraus and Union Station) grab it. I have their SACD and have seen their live performance on TV. It gives me goosebumps remembering how well they play their intricate mesh of country/blue grass/"old timey" tunes. Their music is in the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".

I third the Blue Man Group!! Just wait until you hear "I feel love"

Though it's not a dvd, hopefully it will change sometime in my lifetime, but you ABSOLUTELY MUST get and listen to Pink Floyd Pulse. Unless you get a bootleg, it's only available on VHS.

Do it anyway, if just for the experience. When they get to "One of these days", crank it up and sit back & prepare to be totally awed.

Ditto with some other tracks on it. I know it's VHS, but trust me, you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE it, even if it is on tape.

Yes! Pulse is OUTSTANDING. I have the Tape and VCD.....

I wish they would hurry up with the DVD.

Some more good concert DVD's:.........

Eric Clapton: One more car, one more rider.

Peter Frampton: Live in Detroit.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: High Grass Dogs.

Train: Midnight Moon.

Bruce Springsteen: Anthology.

Peter Gabriel: Secret world Live.

Cyndi Lauper: Live At Last. (I thought this one was going to be a disappointment.. I was wrong)

Roy Orbison: Greatest Hits.

Kd Lang: Live by request.

Paul McCartney: Back In The U.S.

Phil Collins: Serious Hits Live.

Elton John: One Night Only.

Queen: We Will Rock You.

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense.

NEED SOME PINK FLOYD DVD'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!3.gif

Take care

Mike ( The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)