110wpc amp + heresy 1s = not that loud?

KungFuNat

so after almost a year of lurking around here, i finally put a respectable heritage system together today. this is my first "true" hi-fi system ive ever owned, and i am indeed loving it. BUT, i have a question.

im running a NAD cd-player into an older rotel dolby pro logic pre-pro into a hafler DH220. now from what i understand this amp is a bit of overkill for such a highly sensitive pair of speakers. yet i find myself putting the volume on the rotel way past 12 o'clock to get any sort of respectable volume.. anything under 12 o'clock and its maybe 40db im guessing, not much louder than normal speaking volume. at 100% its getting loud, but its still not that loud. hell my promedia ultra system on my computer gets louder at full volume. is there something wrong here? or am i going deaf. is it possible the rotel isnt providing enough juice to drive the hafler? the rotel is a rsp-960ax made in the late '90s i believe.

Please help!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your hearing hasn't already been compromised, you shouldn't be able to stay in an average size living room with two Heresys driven at full power. But if you equate loud with bass, you may be disappointed. They are 3 dB down by about 65 Hz and falling quickly. If you want bass, you need a good subwoofer.

Nat, it may not be correct to equate 12 noon on the volume pot to exactly 50% of total amp volume. Plus the amp may not be functioning as it did on the day you purchased it. Finally, drive me out of the room volume may better be equated with there is so much distortion, it is too loud! turn it down! , rather than clean sound. Normally, you can't hear air raid sirens, firetrucks, and lightening when you are cranking Heresys with 50 to 80 good clean watts.

the rotel is fairly basic, it has a button for stereo only mode. i dont think it has settings for small/large speakers. i was just figuring that at a full 110wpc i would be rattling the windows. right now it just doesnt seem im getting full juice out of my amp. as i said before, my prmedia ultra system can be blaring lound, and i dont just mean bass. should i bring my amp in for service? its pretty damn old. would it be uncommon to see an amp loose its output capacity over time?

yea thats what im talking about, i remember my friends setup which was my first exposure to klipsch heresys. if we put the volume up past 12 o'clock on his POS sony reciever we could go outside in his front yard and play ball while still hearing the music like the speakers were right next to us. im just not getting anywhere near that type of volume.

Normally, the power amp should go to 100% somewhere around 2 volts input (varies a bit).

Here's a rather nasty but sure-fire test. Plug the cd directly to the amplifier inputs with a cd that is rather "tame". This will probably force the amp to go to 100%. Use ear protection as you will have no volume control whatsoever and it will be the equivalent of turning up the volume all the way. That will ensure that the amp is functional at 2+ volts input.

If it is anything less than WAY TOO DANG LOUD, then the amp is the problem. If it seems ok, then the preamp is the problem. The only other remaining possibility is that the cd player is bad.

Good luck and use ear protection...

DM2.gif

ok, it sayes the hafler dh-220 input impedance is 47,000 ohms and its input sensitivity is 1.55v for 115w at 8 ohms. you can read the specs yourself here:

http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-220_amp_man.pdf

rotels manual is a little more confusing, im not sure if this is what im looking for but: sensitivity 1khz output 1v, stereo - 430mv. it doesnt say anything about output impedance. check out the manual yourselves:

http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/manuals/rsp960.pdf

im gonna try directly hooking up my NAD to the hafler and see how it goes.

this is new stuff to me fellas, i appreciate everyones help.

Does you CD player have any kind of volume level control?

On the back of the CD player it should have line out. One end of your IC's should plug into that and the other end should go into CD line in. Try using another input like maybe tape in.

I am using a Parasound which is 205W, and I can't turn the pre past 10 oclock with out blowing me out of the room or fearing that I will blow my speakers.

Danny