Star Wars

IndyKlipschFan

----------------

On 9/25/2004 10:42:05 AM ygmn wrote:

and why is this thread not in the DVD section?

----------------

I think people believe that the movie section gets enough traffic. Which to some degree is true. Back when the movie section was at the top, it got TONS of traffic. Lots of movie talk went on. I think it would be great if Klipsch could take the movie section (not the entire entertainment just dvd) and move it directly under the Home Theater area.

The technology for doing all the fly-by shots was still ancient compared to what can be accomplished today. The cameras were attached to cranes and tracks that actually moved over sets, masking was done to put separate shots together. It is amazing it came out as well as it did.

Marvel

----------------

On 9/24/2004 12:21:43 AM 007 wrote:

Is this versoin like the version that came out a few years back for the movies with the new visual effects and stuff? How is it different?

----------------

I don't have it yet, don't think of myself as a "die hard" but from what I've read, the video for these has been touched up, and the soundtrack cleaned up. The video is supposed to be better than any of the previous releases (but the sound?).

I read that they used modern NR on the soundtrack (CEDAR?).

They also changed many of the sound levels of the soundtrack to make it sound more "modern" (ie. the special effects are now louder than the soundtrack).

The rear channels are reversed. The RR plays the info that is supposed to be in the LR and vice versa (WTG Lucas!).

There was supposed to be a dialog change with Han? Like I said, not much of a fan so I don't know all the particulars but, IIRC a yell or something was added in one of the scenes in the 1997 version and it has now been removed.

Be careful because there seem to be some defective discs out there. Make sure you watch them right away so that they can be returned if need be. 58 minutes into the first movie seems to be a regular problem for many people.

And yes, the infamous bounty hunter scene still has him firing first at point blank range missing Solo. This is probably peoples biggest gripe.

I've also read good and bad about the Jabba CGI's looking more corny than before.

Search the web a bit and I'm sure you will find tons of details/rants about this release.

The rear channels are reversed. The RR plays the info that is supposed to be in the LR and vice versa (WTG Lucas!).

==================================================

I did not notice, feel, or hear it this way at all. Things coming from right rear are def in the right rears ..info on the left rear are in the left rears... (Are you sure your speakers are not mixed up?

One thing he did, and I am not so sure how he did it, is the pans (and hard to explain) that swoosh down or up in the pans... felt like it was real.. That was my sea sick complaint... It was very very real to me.

Kinda like flying in a single engine plane in the cockpit. You feel every move...dips and all.

Some of you really need to get a life and just enjoy the movies. Oh, and "May the force be with you..."

----------------

On 9/25/2004 4:56:25 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

==================================================

I did not notice, feel, or hear it this way at all. Things coming from right rear are def in the right rears ..info on the left rear are in the left rears... (Are you sure your speakers are not mixed up?

----------------

It's only the musical score.

From dvdmg.com http://www.dvdmg.com/starwars.shtml

"For the music, the rear speakers reverse the channels. In other words, if brass emanated from the front right speaker, it should have come from the rear right channel but instead poured out of the rear left.

Lucas may call this issue a choice and not a defect, but thats a lot of hooey. This clearly was an unintentional mistake, as theres absolutely no sane reason to do it on purpose. The question becomes how much this will affect the individual viewer. Ill admit that I would never have noticed the switch if Id not read about it in advance, and even then, I was hard-pressed to discern the problem from my normal listening position. When I focused more on the surrounds, I could hear it, but as I watched the movie, I didnt notice the flip-flopping at all. The front speakers did the heavy lifting in regard to the score, so the rear channels really didnt feature the music terribly prominently. At least as I have my speakers balanced, I didnt encounter any distractions due to the channel-swapping, but clearly other listeners felt differently."

007 9.gif

These are updated visuals like the ones that came out a few years back yes. Lucas went a step further with these though and "enhanced" them a little bit more in visuals and sound to bring them up to date with better coloring and THX Dolby, etc.. He did a little more editing too, i.e. sticking Hayden Christianson in as Anakin Skywalkers ghost at the end of Return of the Jedi.

But this is actually the first time the original 3 Star Wars episodes have been put on DVD format, making it the biggest reason for people to buy them.

Bob

----------------

On 9/24/2004 5:47:06 PM 007 wrote:

----------------

On 9/24/2004 12:21:43 AM 007 wrote:

Is this versoin like the version that came out a few years back for the movies with the new visual effects and stuff? How is it different?

----------------

bump

----------------

go to DVD section...there is a thread which has a link to a site that lists all changes from original and the Sppecial edition

Strabo...

Actully yes, I guess you could call it recorded differently in that the music score has major depth but as I said, no action is screwed up. Also action sounds appear way off to the right and left too off screen! The whole idea is to make the experience big!

I agree with Lucas.. When he does this... it is a slight to big reverb effect in the opposite rears... This effect, IMO was on purpose..(I happen to think it was on purpose..do you really think he would screw it up???)

Anyhow, this effect makes the musical soundstage HUGE... Which is why I think he did do it. IMO. I notice it more used on THX effect discs where the sounds are dispursed in the rears more than DD or DTS disks?

The special effects are better, from the added visuals to explosions. It still was fun bottom line. The music does make these movies (if your into it) over the top.

Great JOB!!

How about a little more detail here on your concerns over the surround mix?

First, how are you "monitoring" this? Are you processing 5.1 or 7.1/EX? What is your surround speaker configuration? You keep referring to the back surrounds, but I think you mean the left and right surrounds. (?) Are your surround speakers monopoles or dipoles? If your surround speaker array is 7.1, what type are the speakers? Dipoles all around, THX Ultra 2 configuration, or something else? If you are using a pair of monopoles at roughly 120 degrees from front center for surrounds (5.1), you will not be hearing/experiencing this soundtrack as it was mixed. You will experience a much different "rendition." All of this will greatly affect your perception of this mix and its effectiveness. You can bet this remix was done either on one of the big screen mixing stages or THX Pm3 rooms at Skywalker. I haven't checked the bonus material. Does it say what kind of mixing environment in which it was done? The most "faithful" reproduction at home will be one that creates a surround field environment that matches that of the mixing facility as closely as possible. If you have a room that is friendly to that, and the gear and installation that gets you there, I bet you will find this mix is terrific.

Great collection. I recently installed a 5.1 DD/DTS system in my 4Runner with a 7" LCD up front and another 7" in the back. With the road trip underway, we managed to watch all three in sequence. The sound was awesome. I remember buying a stereo VCR back in the day just to encode the surround channels on the VHS release of this trilogy. What a treat. The visual clearity (as noted by others) was also equally impressive, even on my 60". I'm glad to see/hear that have been able to improve the visual and audio aspects of these timeless treasures.

Peace!

----------------

On 9/26/2004 12:24:32 PM Joe Bagadonuts wrote:

How about a little more detail here on your concerns over the surround mix?

----------------

Are you asking me?

If so, and to answer Indy, as I stated in my original post, I do not have the movies yet. I was trying to answer 007's questions where he asked about the differences.

Everything I know about this I've read in reviews before I decide to buy it.

IMO, yes, it is Lucas's right to change the movies as he see's fit. But please, for the love of God, release the original unmolested versions. The last time that happened was on laser disc, how many years ago? It has been long enough that soon a new generation will have never seen the original movies.

I think these versions should be called the edited remakes based on the original film, kinda like the 1976 version of King Kong versus the 1933 version. They are based on the same storyline, but they are different movies because one is "modernized" just like GL does to Star Wars every so many years.

No, I haven't purchased these discs yet. I'm weighing my dollars versus ever being able to see the originals at home again versus the reviews of this versions versus getting this version before the next version turns into redubed CGI cartoon.

Ok, this seemed strange to me.

On Saturday, I watched Episodes 1,2,4,5 & 6. It was a long day, but well deserved. 4,5, & 6 looked OUTSTANDING, but Episode 1, looked blurry and out of focus on my TV! How does movies fromt he 70s look better than a complete digital recent one? Anyone else notice this?

I have a sony 60 projection LCD, the denon 3805, and the denon 3910 DVD player. Finding Nemo still looks crystal clear, like looking at a real acquarium, and 4,5, and 6 looked awesome, but 1 looked messed up. Any thoughts or comparisons?

I do not see any problem with Star Wars I and II picture quality. The video bit rate on I and II seems slightly lower than on the triloghy just released, but it is quite good in comparison to other movies. Video quality is more uniform on I and II in my view.

As I pointed out earlier, the video bitrates on IV, V and VI seem to be as high as Superbit DVDs when I look at my meter. THX tranfers are uniformly very good IMO.

Bill