RF-7 setup in a small room??

caveboy

IMOH the RF-7s need a good amount of space. My room is just a bit bigger then yours and I feel if it was to much smaller the imaging might not be right, but of course placement can play a roll. I would think the room would have a bigger effect on sound in a room that small. I do think they are great sounding if you set everything up well. You may just end out haveing to do more experimenting then most people would. If your room is just for your home theater only, then I think it would work if you put time into it. Good luck.

CD

The best is worth nothing if it don't fit your needs.

Yes, you can put them in and yes, the rf7 are awesome sounding speakers but for your room they are definitely too big, their soundstage will never unfold. The little more "refinded" sound of the 5s over the rf35 is not worth the extra fund (IMO).

Real wood veneer is the main reason for the higher price of the 5s.

Bookshelfs with a sub would be easier to "tune in". You may consider the rf75. You will get the "big" compression driver (similar to the 7s) and together with a good sub like the rsw12 you can put together a great HT (5 x rf75 or rf75/rc7/rs7).

You may also take a look at the thx ultra series.

I guess I would have to respectfully disagree a bit with everyone so far.

IF your room is properly treated, then no, I do not think that size room is necessarily too small for RF-7s. However, don't expect to get yourself in a seating position where you can also get a good 5.1/7.1 mix.

IF you do not plan on seriously treating the room, bass-wise and for first (and second) reflections, then all of the floor standers mentioned are going to be too much. If not much room treatment, I would opt for a bunch of RF-75s (or RF-35s) and a nice sub.

Carl.

Some thoughts I have are that the RF-7's need a little more wattage to get a good tight bass and mid detail than the RF-35's. With that type of volume it may be rather unpleasant in a room of that size not to mention that the 7's will be in the room around two feet anyway. My RF-3II's were much tighter and detailed at lower volumes than my RF-7's.

My next question is what are you trying to accomplish. If the is a home theater area then the surround speakers will intrude an additional 2 feet or so leaving around 7 feet from the front of the 7's to the front of the rear speakers. (RF-35's really do not solve too much here either).

Another thought is, will you be in a larger area soon? If so then the 7's may be in order as mentioned earlier.

I run a full 7 series set-up plus an RSW 15 in a dedicated A/V room about 4.5 meters square. The center channel is recessed. My Magnavox SR-8000 allows for the tailoring of signal strength and for speaker size for all of the 5/1 speaker units. The imaging is awesome albeit the sub can be a bit much at times. As with others, I feel they may work but the entire system must be considered in order to succeed. Isn't life swell?