Altec "Voice of the Theater"

Dylanl

For me, I would have needed to add a tweeter and subwoofer to my altecs. Instead, I just sold them. I paid very little for them anyway. They just didn't give me the clarity I like. The midrange was wonderful but the bass wasn't deep enough for my liking and the high-end was just missing. I would like to hear a set-up with a super-tweeter added.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gee Tom, I did notice the bridal registry listed the Klipsch catalog.

Sheltie,

Roger never worked at Richwoods except in the summer. He and I did lawn work for the school. His dad was business manager for a while, and may have taught some classes, but that was so long ago I don't remember. Roger has always ben a Civil War fanatic, and his parents thought he was nuts and that he could never make any money at it. He is a couple of years older than I am (give or take), so would be 57 I think. His dad passed away some years ago too. They had come from Princeton, Ill, to Peoria, around '65-66. Later, they moved to Naperville. He has an older brother, Gary, who taught/teaches, but I don't think he taught in Peoria.

Marvel

----------------

On 10/4/2004 12:46:05 PM 2ndGenKlipsch wrote:

Someone here at work is selling a pair of these. I've copied the exact listing below. He is asking $500...is this a good deal for these speakers?

ALTEC-LANSING “VOICE OF THE THEATER” in Walnut “Karlson” enclosure:

803-B 15” Bass,

802-D Driver,

811-B Horn,

N800E Ntwk

----------------

Uh, you left out the phone number...2.gif

FYI:

803-B are the older vintage "green" LF drivers. Run around $250 each in mint condition

802-8D are again older vintage "black" HF drivers. These have the cast ALTEC logo in the back cover. Run around $200 each in mint condition.

811-B are the smaller horn (the 511B being the large horn). Run around $50 each in mint condition.

N800E are again older vintage "green" 800Hz crossovers. Run around $75 each in mine condition.

The thing that I wonder about is the Karlson cabinet. The drivers were originally put into A5 and A7 Altec cabinets. I've never heard them in the Karlson. I don't even know what a Karlson looks like.

Karlson cabinets were are kind'a, well, odd and were somewhat popular in the 50s and have a growing cult among modern hornys. I haven't heard them in many years, those I heard had EV 15" coaxial drivers and were pretty good.

Several guys over at the AA high efficiency forum are Karlson Kultists, especially our pal Freddi.

Note that the 803B is the same driver as the mighty 416, just an earlier name for it, and the second best woofer ever made. The best being the 515 of course.

By the way Ward, the drivers discussed above were not used in the A5. The A5 used the "big guns"; the 515 woofer and 1.4" large-format 288 compression driver on various multi-cell (and later Manta-Ray) horns. The A5 did use the same 825-828 bassbin as the A7s.

A5s are more efficient than A7s and have more output and lower distortion. Compared to A7s they have better midrange but softer highs. But they are THE Midrange King. Nothing does vocals as well as an A5, nothing. My opinion ya understand.2.gif

----------------

On 10/3/2004 2:56:08 PM TBrennan wrote:

Parrot---To say that Edgars aren't even close to KHorns is an unreasonable statement. When one reaches the top horn systems it's all about preference and not quality. All the good horn systems, be they Klipsch, Edgar, Altec, JBL, EV, Servo-Drive; be they DIY or turnkey, share many virtues. All have outstanding dynamics and clarity and very low distortion.

I wouldn't be so bold myself as to state anything more than a preference.

----------------

Hi Tom,

Just out of interest, as a current Klipschorn owner, I'm naturally very interested in other top horn systems - to be frank, I haven't heard too many. I'm somewhat restricted for choice living in Australia. I accept that the other contenders probably have equally good claims to awesome sound as my Klipschorns do. But, Tom, are they in the same price league?

Edwin

IMO, A7's are right up there performance quality-wise with Khorns. They are about the same efficiency. The A7's have more low-end "punch". The Khorns are somewhat "less in your face".

The Khorns have a smaller footprint than A7s, as they fit corners. A7's will stick out quite a bit more. There is some consideration that the VOT's also use a higher quality of drivers all the way around than does Klipsch.

If you ain't talkin looks, a pair of A7's is just as good as a pair of Khorns, environment withstanding, of course.

The A7s ONLY drawback, IMO, is their size.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 10/5/2004 11:34:02 PM Piranha wrote:

Maybe I should lean toward purchasing A5's instead of A7's when I run across a decent pair? Hell, if I don't care for them, I can I'll bet I can sell them and get my money back.

----------------

Maybe you should listen to a pair first. They may not be as easy to sell as you think.

----------------

On 10/6/2004 9:10:01 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 10/5/2004 11:34:02 PM Piranha wrote:

Maybe I should lean toward purchasing A5's instead of A7's when I run across a decent pair? Hell, if I don't care for them, I can I'll bet I can sell them and get my money back.

----------------

Maybe you should listen to a pair first. They may not be as easy to sell as you think.

----------------

I have heard them before. Granted, it was a long time ago. No worries. I wouldn't them without buying smart. 2.gif

Not everyone is lucky enough to get free Khorns. 9.gif

• 2 years later...