Altec "Voice of the Theater"

Dylanl

----------------

On 10/2/2004 11:49:53 AM tubelover wrote:

WTF is an Altec thread doing on the "KLIPSCH" 2-Channel?

I predict GW in a landslide 2004!

----------------

What's a political signature doing on a Klipsch 2-Channel?

But seriously, the Altec is no slouch and the Altec name was/is the benchmark "speaker" for horn systems. I have the Valencia 846-U and it really puts the "theater" in HT. When powered with a SS amp, the bass is outstanding. The horns with a good tube amp is only as good as the source material. It is unreplaceable, IMO. I have heard Cornwalls and Khorns and think that my Valencias are as good as anything Klipsch has to offer. I only need a sisde by side comparison but it might come to a matter of taste.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 10/2/2004 9:45:47 AM Dylanl wrote:

The reason I asked is that I passed on a pair of A7's for $750.00 locally & went for the Klipschorns that I currently have. They are model C's, I bought them for 1,000.00 plus a 10hr drive.

----------------

You'd have probably been happy with the A7s, but the Klipschorns are better. The biggest fan of Altecs here is designing his new home to ensure it has good corners for Klipschorns.

----------------

On 10/2/2004 6:03:56 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

But seriously, the Altec is no slouch and the Altec name was/is the benchmark "speaker" for horn systems. I have the Valencia 846-U and it really puts the "theater" in HT. When powered with a SS amp, the bass is outstanding. The horns with a good tube amp is only as good as the source material. It is unreplaceable, IMO. I have heard Cornwalls and Khorns and think that my Valencias are as good as anything Klipsch has to offer. I only need a sisde by side comparison but it might come to a matter of taste.

----------------

Yep on the taste thing - I prefer the Heresy at its size more than any other (especially augmented by a sub). I have several Altec and JBL stuff that I prefer for the rest of the Klipsch line (not by much and sometimes just for certain music) until you get to the Khorns which remain my favorite for looks, sound and price (with a small aside to Bruce Edgar's stuff).

When you get to this quality of sound it becomes a preference of coloration...

The reason I posted the question in the 1st place is I know that Altec & JBL have made some very good products in the past. I would like to know if any other forum member tested these products & why they decided to go with Klipsch. I have never had the chance to. From my post and my system you can see that I am a Klipsch supporter not a basher. But knowing how well the Khorn sings it is hard to imagine better. But, there are always people out there that say what they have is better. I also know that there are many on this forum that have had opportunities to listen many speakers from various suppliers. It is this overall spectrum of information that is very useful to posters like myself. Believe me I love to see other speakers fall short of the Khorn. For some weird reason it makes me feel better about buying the Klipschorn over the A7's. (Notice my avatar RF7)

Parrot---The house will happen to have 2 rooms with good corners for Khorns. It's not something I was looking for or designing around.

I don't know what speakers I'll have except that I'll start with my Altec 605s. From there who knows. Maybe KHorns. Maybe Oak Belles with cane grills and an Edgar horn sub. Maybe back to A5s. Maybe Altec 416s in Onken bassbins and those BMS coaxial compression drivers on Edgar Saladbowls. Maybe I'll go the 2" JBL route with 2441s on Smith horns. Who knows? There are so many ways to do a good horn system.

I have to agree with Toms discription. I think that Altec has a beautiful and natural midrange. The Klipschorn has a nicer and lower horn loaded sound. Then highs arn't there in the Altec, and some what lacking in the Klipschorn. You do need to add a tweeter to the Altec 2-ways for home use.

The best of both worlds is to use the Klipschorn bass horn with an Altec midrange and a better tweeter.

----------------

On 10/3/2004 12:10:55 AM TBrennan wrote:

Maybe Altec 416s in Onken bassbins and those BMS coaxial compression drivers on Edgar Saladbowls.

----------------

Tom - I was looking at an Onken for my current project but I couldn't get the specs where I wanted - the 'classic' JBL/Lansing box designs seemed to be both smoother in response and to go lower, with the Onken having a gentler LF roll off. Was I missing something? I still can change and Bob Crites is incenting me to make test boxes, but an Onken test box would require nearly as much work as a finished cabinet.

That said - an Onken box can be made to look really pretty with all the opportunity for exposed wood...

Q-Man,

"You do need to add a tweeter to the Altec 2-ways for home use. "

Depends on the Altec. The larger format probably needs a tweeter but I've been running the small format 902s for almost a year without a tweeter now. They get up to around 16kHz where my K77s dropped off quick at 10kHz.

Shawn

----------------

On 10/3/2004 12:10:55 AM TBrennan wrote:

Parrot---The house will happen to have 2 rooms with good corners for Khorns. It's not something I was looking for or designing around.

I don't know what speakers I'll have except that I'll start with my Altec 605s. From there who knows. Maybe KHorns. Maybe Oak Belles with cane grills and an Edgar horn sub. Maybe back to A5s. Maybe Altec 416s in Onken bassbins and those BMS coaxial compression drivers on Edgar Saladbowls. Maybe I'll go the 2" JBL route with 2441s on Smith horns. Who knows? There are so many ways to do a good horn system.

----------------

The overrated Edgars are not the way I would recommend. Sure, they suit the purpose of people who want to be conspicuously different, but the best Edgars aren't even close to Klipschorns. nono.gif

The reason you're floundering is because you've never had Klipschorns.

To say Tom is floundering sounds fishy to me.

Tom,

Were you intending all along to get back into a house and the apartment was just temprary?

As a history aside for you, my good friend Roger Durham has a pictorial history of Fort McAllister coming out next month for Arcadia Press. It should be interesting and I hope to get a copy of it. I just wish he would move back south so we could play guitar together again. We had to do it off and on for 35 years. 8.gif

Marvel

Parrot---To say that Edgars aren't even close to KHorns is an unreasonable statement. When one reaches the top horn systems it's all about preference and not quality. All the good horn systems, be they Klipsch, Edgar, Altec, JBL, EV, Servo-Drive; be they DIY or turnkey, share many virtues. All have outstanding dynamics and clarity and very low distortion.

I wouldn't be so bold myself as to state anything more than a preference.

Marvel---I like the pun.

I hadn't intended to marry, move South and build a house but things have worked that way.

I think when I'm all set down there in Mississippi I'll put together a little Soul Music band. 2 drummers, bass, guitar, organist-pianist, couple of horns and a good singer. I'll be looking for a vintage Rogers drum set, Swivomatics preferably but "Big Rs" will be OK.

Life a block from the Gulf should be very pleasant.

Fort McAlistter? That's the earthwork outside Savannah that Uncle Billy's boys captured after The March to The Sea, right? Tell your friend he's sold at least one copy.

I wrote a litle guide book to old fortifications. Time now to update it publish it. There are many old forts along the Gulf coast where I could hawk the work. Fort Barrancas and The Advanced Redoubt at Pensacola are especially interesting, many unique features to them.

Marvel, if Roger is the one and only retired history teacher who taught next to your dad's classroom, tell him I said "hi." I think he taught five of us Shekleton kids at Richwoods!

He had some wonderful clover honey from his hives in Princeville, and I do miss having some golden honey to cut into coffee or blueberry buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup on a cold frosted morn.3.gif

Now that Liam is motoring around well, I have taken him over to Cahokia Mounds and told him 'bout the varied Indian tribes along the Mississippi valley. We can't start history for kids early enough, I think...

----------------

On 10/3/2004 2:56:08 PM TBrennan wrote:

Parrot---To say that Edgars aren't even close to KHorns is an unreasonable statement. When one reaches the top horn systems it's all about preference and not quality. All the good horn systems, be they Klipsch, Edgar, Altec, JBL, EV, Servo-Drive; be they DIY or turnkey, share many virtues. All have outstanding dynamics and clarity and very low distortion.

I wouldn't be so bold myself as to state anything more than a preference.

----------------

It should be self-evident that a lot of this is personal preference, how we like the presentation of music. But anyway IMHO they are not even close. YMMV.