Isolating the CD player?

killerbee_vr6

I've got my CD player roughly 5 feet away from each Chorus II with it resting on a 6" high ATV innertube. The tube is literally huge, and yet the speakers still skip the CD player constantly. I've tried extra weight on top of it, and the rack is filled with sand and quite solid. What to do?

PS turning it down isn't an option 9.gif

I would assume the innertube is the problem since it's so big and pliable, even with extra weight on top and sitting on a firm rack. Buy a wooden chopping block big enough to hold the player, get four Vibrapods at $6.00 each for the bottom of the player, and four little brass cones for $16.90 a set at Parts Express for the bottom of the chopping block.

Vibrations begone!2.gif

Very good suggestion, but I would start with four Vibrapods (#2s or #3s), and the platform before you add the brass cones. That alone may do the trick. A butcher block type works, but you can also use other materials (granite, etc). I personally use 1/2 inch MDF with Vibrapods, and it is sufficient at very extreme (insane) volumes. Depends on your player and how serious your isolation challenge is.

Vibrapods. What a great, inexpensive addition to your system!!! Also great for tube preamps. Always use the sandwich technique, if possible.

Carl.

The cones should be under the component. The idea is that the weight of the component is distributed on a very small area, which reduces the amount of contact. If possible, use only 3 cones, as that further reduces contact with the support surface.

The more the component weighs, the better. Add weight as needed, but not easy with a top-loading component.

Also wood is a very good transmission medium for vibration due to its inherent lightness and structure, so should be avoided. Plys are better than plain wood, composition even better as density is increased.

DM2.gif

Black Diamond racing cones mounted on " those things " platforms are what i use . Likly way to expensive for the tastes seen around here but the results speak for themselves so the money's a non issue to me. They work , period .

I also use a mission isoplat under my DVD play , it see's higher rumble levels then the CD player and i've never skipped a DVD yet .

You should'nt have to break the bank to find a solution , there's ton's of isolating products out there.

----------------

On 10/3/2004 2:21:59 PM killerbee_vr6 wrote:

tube is literally huge, and yet the speakers still skip the CD player constantly.

----------------

The thing that catches my eye is the word "constantly" ...

What's your CD player... and how old is it? It's not unusual for the internal CD transport's suspension to weaken with age... and develop a skipping problem. I've seen this happen to others as well as one of my own players. It slowly developed a skipping problem... and I tried all the damping in the world. It kept getting worse... so I decided to try a new player and the difference was night and day... reaching 120db range with skipping the unit. 11.gif It is generally cheaper to replace the unit rather than fix it... unless it's very highend.

As a test, try it with a very low volume and lightly tap the player's case to see if it'll skip. If the player isn't a problem... the item / shelf it is on, may be unstable.

Good luck...

Rob