What people say on car forums...

Mighty Favog

Yeah, there are plenty of bad car names out there. For instance, Chevy's Nova: Which means "No go" in Spanish! Also, I worked on the development of General Motors first electric car that was eventually rented to people in California under the name EV-1: It was orginally named "Impact"! Not a very optomistic choice I'd say. LOL! That's almost as bad a name as "RAM"!

The only way "Edsel" could have been worse than it was, is if it had been a more common name such as "Bob", "Sam" or "Fred". "Say, baby, wanna go for a ride in my "Steve"? LOL!9.gif Good thing it wasn't "Johnson"! 6.gif

More crappy car names (without any regard for the car's quality and integrity): Probe, Tiburon, Sephia, Impreza, Matrix, Sportage, Familia, Achieva, Futuramic, Fierenza, Fiero, Astre, The Thing and one of the VERY worst: Touareg!!

Kinda makes ya wonder how they got away with the name "Hummer".6.gif

Of couse the name Chevette was always tranlated into the words "shove it".

O.k. who remembers the Crickett or the Plymouth Arrow?14.gif

Yes, even my own mother owned a 77' Volare' 2-door where the front fenders would rust before your very eyes..

And interesting tid bit about the Probe....

Ford's intention was to create a sporty car for the female market since the Mustang primarily was aimed at, and appealed to, the male audience. Unfortunately, the car never sold to the female market even though some variations of the Probe were pretty decent performers. Apparently, the name Probe really didn't do anything for the female buyer.

Hmmmmmm.....I wonder why?

Tom

Ugh. The V6 Mustang Convertible is the standard issue car of every third sorority girl along with the VW Cabrio and, for the rich girls, you choice or the BMW M5 or Mercedes SLK series (automatic of course).

The Probe GTs were actually pretty good performing cars for the price.

----------------

On 10/18/2004 10:39:21 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Ford's intention was to create a sporty car for the female market since the Mustang primarily was aimed at, and appealed to, the male audience. Unfortunately, the car never sold to the female market even though some variations of the Probe were pretty decent performers. Apparently, the name Probe really didn't do anything for the female buyer.

Tom

----------------

Don't knock it til you try it. :)

Plus, Wal-Marts are for people with Dodge Neons.

----------------

Subaru WRX forum

- - - I hate cops. Got ticketed for drifting in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

----------------

Mitsubishi 3000GT forum

"Need a more reliable, but sporty, everyday driver, been considering a FIAT or a Fiero. Thoughts?"

----------------

On 10/18/2004 9:21:24 AM Tom Blasing wrote:

Kinda makes ya wonder how they got away with the name "Hummer".
6.gif

----------------

I can understand where they come up with the name "Hummer". In the military, the "official" designation of the vehicle, which is a replacement to the venerable Jeep, is "High-Mobility, Multiple-Use Vehicle", or "HMMUV". Thus often pronouced "Hum-Vee". That was farther "jargonized" to "Hummer", i.e., "Can you back that Hummer up a litte bit more so I can get the trailer hooked up to it?". It seemed to make pretty good sense when the civilion version came out they adopted the "Hummer" name, as it was already pretty well known, especially to anybody that served in the military and have experience riding and/or driving these vehicles.

Tom Adams: Actually, Ford had officialy planned to kill the Mustang rear-wheel drive program completely back in 1989 when it came up with the Probe front-wheel drive concept because everyone else was moving away from rear-drive cars. The Probe was to be the new Mustang. Ford wanted to move Mustang production from the then-aging Rouge Plant in Dearborn, Michigan to the Mazda/Auto Alliance Plant Flat Rock, Michigan (where all of the Probes were built). But, when all of the performance enthusiasts and Mustang-owners got wind of the plan to dump rear-drive, the howling began forcing Ford to backpedal. FAST! It was THEN that Ford struck on the idea to peddle their unwanted, front-drive prototype to women, but forgot to give it a more girly name. Oops!! Even so, the car carried with it the stigma of being a "girly-car" for years here in the Detroit area and few men were interested in driving one. I will agree that some of them, especially the later GT's were quite fast and fun to drive. But, they simply did not sell well to either gender, especially after some major engine defects were uncovered that Ford later corrected.That was the car's final demise. I know this because I was in engineering at Ford in Dearborn when this all came about.

The irony: As of the new 2005 Mustang that is just now coming out, Ford has now moved the car's production to the same Mazda/Auto Alliance Plant in Flatrock they wanted to move to back in 1989. It's now where all Mustangs are built. Only F150 Trucks are assembled at the newly revamped Rouge Plant in Dearborn. The difference here being that the Mustang is still a rear-wheel drive car 16 years later and it out-sold Camaros and Firebirds combined, 2-to-1 until their own demise last year.

My wife loves her all-original, Laser-Red 1996 SVT Mustang Cobra coupe with only 20,000 miles on it. And, trust me: it's NO girly-car!

Thanks Picky for the "insider's insight". I was aware of most of what you said, I just posted a "condensed", if you will, version. I use to keep up with the auto scene many m00ns ago, but lost interest when cars no longer became interesting. Don't get me wrong - there's some nice designs/innovations out there, but not too many that stir my soul.

Tom

----------------

On 10/18/2004 10:39:21 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Tom

----------------

One can only speculumate.

Hey Hey Hey, I have a Neon and it is a great little car! 30+mpg with a 3 speed auto, running the air constantly! I do NOT shop at Walley World, I just drive 50,000 miles a year to and from work. ECONOMEY IS IMPORTANT AND I AIN'T NO STINKIN LIBERAL EITHER!

----------------

On 10/18/2004 2:13:58 PM dgb wrote:

Don't knock it til you try it.
:)

Plus, Wal-Marts are for people with Dodge Neons.

----------------

Subaru WRX forum

- - - I hate cops. Got ticketed for drifting in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

----------------

Mitsubishi 3000GT forum

"Need a more reliable, but sporty, everyday driver, been considering a FIAT or a Fiero. Thoughts?"

----------------

As long as you don't have 18" rims, a 747 wing, a fake nitrous cylander and a poorly installed subwoofer, I have no problem with your Neon. :)

----------------

On 10/19/2004 8:58:29 AM cablacksmith wrote:

Hey Hey Hey, I have a Neon and it is a great little car! 30+mpg with a 3 speed auto, running the air constantly! I do NOT shop at Walley World, I just drive 50,000 miles a year to and from work. ECONOMEY IS IMPORTANT AND I AIN'T NO STINKIN LIBERAL EITHER!

----------------

BUICK FORUM (member from Quebec):

- Je me suis fait crossé par ma Buick LaCrosse (or translated to English "I've been f**ked over by my new Buick Fu**enRip-off"

By the way, Buick will be selling that car under a different name here as it does really mean "Fu**enRip-off"... talk about a pour name choice for a car... or perhaps blunt honesty?! time will tell... 2.gif

----------------

On 10/15/2004 12:12:47 AM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 10/14/2004 11:16:39 PM TBrennan wrote:

The Jeep Forum---"What kind of carpets go with pale mauve chenille curtains?"

"Will my medical insurance cover my Life Partner?"

----------------

Dude, you're so full of poop;
11.gif9.gif

----------------

You have to admit it's pretty funny though... 3.gif