Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct. 18

thebes

Great participation last week. Nice so see some the classical and jazz affaciandos stopping by.

Just curious, and it's certainly not a requirement for contributing, but has anyone besides me availed themselves of any of the suggestions coming out of these threads?

So what do you have to share this week?

Format is simple. Name of artists/group, style of music as best you can (jazz, blues etc.), whether its's a cd or lp and any comments you wish to share.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Historical Guitar Collection of Casa de Musica. Classical guitar music.

This is a lp put out by Denon using Digital mastering technology. It's a japanese import with several Japanese classical guitar players using 8 diferent classical guitars from various craftsman and eras. Gentle, relaxing melodious music and very well recorded.

Hello:

I accidentally posted this earlier today on last week's recommendations. I shall do so again.

CD: "Genius Loves Company" by the Master Genius Ray Charles.

This is a CD of 12 Duets. It was not thrown together due to Mr. Charles passing. To quote:

"I've recorded with so many amazing artists in my career, but never on a duets album all my own. I thought it was time to have some of the friends that I have and the artists that I admire come into my studio and sing with me live."

--Ray Charles

In having the artists come into Ray's studio, none gave up their identity.

Tracks include duets with the likes of Bonnie Raitt, B.B. King, Willie Nelson, James Taylor, Van Morrison and more see earlier post for a complete list. The Musicians were also top of the line.

The Cd shows sides of Ray that did not always come out. Matching the timbre of his voice, the pleasures, the pains. The happiness in doing what HE set out to do.

All on a very well Engineered and Recorded CD.

I give it a 10 for all performances and the Recording well worth buying even if you are not an original Ray charles fan but a fan of some of the Artists he teams up with.

As I noted to sum this up using titles of tracks on this CD, Mr. Charles is now "over The Rainbow." It is the selfish "Sinner's Prayer" that Ray still be around to continue to provide additional Material. I am glad that I noticed this CD and truly glad I purchased it.

His Genius did love the Company.

dodger

Charlie Watts Quintet "Warm and Tender" CD, 1992, featuring Bernard Fowler on vocals, and the Metropolitan Orchestra. An nice recording of lush jazz ballads (think Mel Torme), fronted by Fowler's smooth baritone (think Barry White singing jazz). Some classic numbers include "Bewitched (Bothered, and Bewildered)" and "Someone to Watch Over Me."

I am not a huge Stones fan, but have enjoyed Charlie Watts's jazz and big band side projects for many years. I also usually like more up-tempo jazz, but this is so smooth and engaging. A great half.com buy for about $5 new.

thebes, please keep this topic going, its a good opportunity to be exposed to others music.

I like the reviews too. I know they are a big effort and are appreciated.

Ive checked out a lot of what has been presented and speaking of which, your guitar suggestion there is a little vague, at least the Tower Record website thought so, as it didnt come up with what youre talking about. Can you give an exact name on the record?

Thanks

I went through my, very extensive, CD collection. Can you believe I have not got ONE single Ray Charles album! Not one.

Disgraceful. I need to rectify this asap. The new Ray Charles duet album looks like a good starter.

I need to be severely spanked by the twins.

Frank, you may not be able to find this one since it's an lp and may not have been pressed in quite a few years.

Historical Guitar-Collection of Casa de Musica

Denon PCM Recording Stereo/OX-7013-ND, sticker on it says: Imported Recording Mastered with Digital Technology.

Musicians on it are:

Mitsuhiko Hamada

Hideo Shinma

Masaru Koyama

Mikeo Hoshido

Used google to find a Casa Da Musica but my spanish is poor so I'm not sure it's the same. Quite frankly I'm not sure Denon was ever in the record business so this may have been a promo included with some of their gear. MayBE you'll come up with something if you google the players.

They all are playing classical guitar music on this one.

I think I better keep availability in mind for my future recommendations.

Also, fellow participants, a second heads up on Marianne Faithful's Blazing Away. If you can find it get it and then send me congratulatory telegrams.

SUPER,SUPER,SUPER MUST OWN!

Yes Edwin, I too am ashamed to have not one measure of recorded music of Ray Charles. Will remedy this at once with the kind advice of the FORUM!

Here's mine for the week:

Beautiful People, If 60's were 90's.

Take a bunch of NY (?) club disc jockeys, let them sample lots of Jimi Hendrix tracks and vocals, mix with new club beats and guitar licks, staying true to the original, and you have some wild tracks. There are extensive liner notes indicating which specific samples were taken from Hendrix, but the effect is wowing with driving modern beats but that Jimi 'space your brains out' licks and vocals. For instance, one just has Jimi repeating 'Gonna SOCK it to ya, one more time'. tres cool.

Michael

Dream Theater

Images and Words

CD

This is a masterpiece of rock music performed by some of the best musicians ever to play. As a musician friend of mine once said of this band "these guys must have come out of the womb with their instruments in hand." If you want to really test your system play track 5 Metropolis part 1 really loud and hang on for the ride.

ZZtop- Mescalero Well it's ZZtop! fuzz pedals going through marhsalls about to blow 25 watt celestion speakers. With some of the roughest and baddest vocals happening with rock/blues Texas /Mexicano style. Awesome bluesy fuzzy heavy riffs with tight arse euro dance beats, and a touch of that ZZ humor. For example "Me so stupid", "Alley gator".

Mannheim Steamroller "Fresh Aire 8"

I picked up a used DVD and really did not know what to expect. I have never really been "into" music. Well, let me tell you,,,,this DVD will have it's own spot right next to the DVD player so if I ever want to "show off" my system, this is the one I am going to use. Very good use of EVERY speaker.

Here's my weekly weigh in....

Soundtrack to Magnolia - Aimee Man....in fine form....cd

Thanks I'll Eat It Here - the greatness that was Lowell George....cd

New York City - The Peter Malick Group...Norah Jones before she was big and with a blusier band...cd

Live At The Point - David Gray - DVD...exceptional

cheers!