Please give suggestions for tube amps

Benzima

A Scott integrated LK72 or 299C or D is a relatively inexpensive entry into tube amplification. However, you need one rebuilt by someone with a good reputation. To find one on eBay and have it done right will probably run at least $700. I am quite satisfied with my 299D/Cornwall setup.

----------------

On 10/26/2004 11:43:37 PM T2K wrote:

----------------

On 10/26/2004 9:08:59 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Right, in california they drink their wine from a paper bag.
6.gif9.gif

Rick

----------------

Thats funny Rick, even coming from a Republican!
9.gif

Keith

----------------

LOL, my thoughts exactly.

----------------

On 10/27/2004 7:06:48 AM D0N wrote:

Doesn't one of the older scotts or possibly fishers have the center channel output? You could use that to get the signal to your sub. I occasionally use a ksw15 sub with my khorns. It makes a nice difference in the lower bass.

----------------

Both my Scott 299b and my Fisher X-100-C have unpowered center channel outputs which can be used with a powered sub. They work great.

----------------

On 10/27/2004 7:15:30 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 10/26/2004 9:08:59 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Right, in california they drink their wine from a paper bag.
6.gif9.gif

Rick

----------------

Yes, but it's the
good stuff...

3.gif

----------------

Yep. I like Thunderbird too. 2.gif

Here's the latest, if anyone is interested. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud.

I sat down and did some more thinking. What started this current upgrade frenzy after ~2 years of being pretty satified with what I had? I recently decided to appreciate listening to music again instead of harping on HT. I pulled the Khorns outta the corners and saw how old and dusty I let them get, so I gave them a good cleaning. I was home alone and cleaning house so I had them "cranked" up to ~-35dB. That's a little louder than normal for me because I was vacuuming in the other room. For some reason the fatique from the brightness kinda got to me so I decided to finally do something about it. I came back to this board and once again saw many posts from others addressing brightness/fatique/harshness etc. Long ago I considered doing the "Dynamat(?)" mod. Back then the ALK x-overs didn't seem like such a good idea. Some time has gone by and the idea of new x-overs improving the sound and eliminating the brightness makes a lot more sense to me for some reason, so like I said, I finally ordered a set.

I began thinking of new equipment that might help too so I asked for suggestions from here and another forum. To make a long story short, here is my revised strategy. I'll wait till I put the new ALK type A's in and re-evaluate my Khorns with my current equipment as listed below. I am not a sophisticated audiophile or a discriminating listener by any means, so I'm pretty easy to please. If I still think there's lots of room for improvement, I will next consider upgrading my AVR or buying an integrated tube amp. If the new ALK x-over really mellow out the brightness, I may lean more towards another SS AVR. SS AVR's on my short list (in order) are Sony STRDA5000ES, BK507, Sony STRDA9000ES, and HK7300. I even considered the Parasound Halo combo. If the fatique is still there, I'll move towards an integrated tube amp. I bid on a couple of Scotts this week but lost both times. I think I want to avoid vintage and go for one of the newer ones. There are a few that interest me a lot, the Cayin TA-30 (very hard to find in stock) and one of the Antique Sound Labs units (AQ1003DT/AQ1001DT/AQ1005DT). Gonna try to audition some tube stuff this weekend. I have about 4 weeks until my ALKs get here. That should force me to take my time but....

You know what's really funny. I know my system is not the greatest on the planet, but I still can not imagine anything sounding a lot better. I geuss you never can until you do.

Thanxxx again for all your input.

----------------

On 10/28/2004 11:52:02 PM Benzima wrote:

You know what's really funny. I know my system is not the greatest on the planet, but I still can not imagine anything sounding a lot better. I guess you never can until you do.

Thanxxx again for all your input.

----------------

You've taken the right tack. Take your time and enjoy the thought of upgrading. As time passes you'll go through several stages of; "Okay, I'ver finally made up my mind. This is what I'm going to do...". Then you'll come full circle back where you started... 14.gif

I have found audiogon.com a great place to buy gear try it out and if it didn't fit my needs I would just resell and try something else. I would try some push pull amps and even some set amps until I found what I liked best. It doesn't really matter what other people think sounds good but what you like. I do however trust advice about what manufacturers make quality gear because there is some cheap stuff out there. The last auction that I lost was a 300b airtight amp which looked incredible wish I could have heard it. Good luck this is the fun part!

Have fun with the process, The Alk's will get you to another level in terms of better resolution, but I don't believe they'll resolve your bright fatiguing issue. I'm saying this only because I ventured out on my two channel journey to correct the same issues.

Trust me on this, get a integrated or separates so your pre & amp are tubed and you'll never look back! 2.gif

Tom