Just bought La Scalas

BLUESMAN

Hi Bluesman, Welcome to the forum. You're in for a treat with your LaScalas. As well as physically big, they produce a big roomfilling sound which I find unique. They are very efficient and can play very very loud. They are a little bass shy on the deep bottom end so several people here supplement them with subwoofers. I tip the front end of mine up a bit off the floor with a 2 x 4 with carpet wrapped around it. That seems to help cancel standing waves with the floor. Currently, I have mine on the short wall of a kneewalled room with each speaker in from the corner about half the distance between the two speakers. This seems to let the horns radiate without any early reflections. At lower volumes and especially for some reason, in the dark, they produce a really detailed sound and get kind of ringy sounding at high volume. If you look around the forum and use the search feature, you'll find lots of references, suggestions and tweaks that others have experimented with. So enjoy, stay in touch and post some pix when they arrive. Slainte. Hamish

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations I am sure you will enjoy them. I have had mine for 20 years and they anchor my system. The only change I have made is to swap the old AL series crossovers for ALKkit Series As. I do not know what the age of your new acquisition is but if they are 15 20 years old, I would seriously look at upgrading or replacing your crossovers in the long run. The older components in the older networks degrade and drift off spec over time. Now back to the main idea here is that La Scalas are fantastic speakers. They use all the same drivers as the vaunted Klipschorn. The only significant difference is the bass is crosses a little differently and you only have a dual folded horn, which does not dig as deep. The trade off is they have more placement options available and they do produce a very accurate sustainable bass within their range. I have been extremely satisfied with mine from day 1. IMO the only thing that can displace them is the Klipschorn. These will fill your room with exceptional sound. Once again congratulations and enjoy!

Bluesman,

Uh, I strongly suggest you not form an opinion too quickly. Doing a quick web search on your speakers, I found this from Positive Feedback (a great mag, by the way)...

"The 6.3s are capable of some real bass output. When I played the Clear and Present Danger and Emerald Forest soundtracks, I got full, deep, hit-you-in-the-chest bass. There was texture and a nice tone to bass instruments, whether acoustic or electric. The third Stereophile Test Disc helped me get an indication of the 6.3s' bass output. The 6.3s had pretty good output at 25 cycles and very strong output at 31. I use Echo Buster Bass Traps to tighten up the lower registers in my room, and they did help give more definition to the low notes. Nevertheless, I found that the bass of the 6.3s leaned more to the full and robust than to the tight and defined."

This is, like, as far away from a La Scala as you can get. I've owned La Scalas and a bunch of other speakers, and the La Scalas have been my favorites because of the open midrange, articulation, dynamics and a bunch of other stuff. However, they have less bass than a kazoo. Seriously, below about 55 cycles or so, depending on the room, they have *NO BASS*. If you come from being used to the 6.3s and move immediately to the La Scalas, your first reaction is going to be "God, these are *SHRILL*" and "Where's the Bass?"

PLEASE give them a chance. What they do well they do better than any other speaker, except other Klipch Heritage speakers. Don't ask them to be what they're not. I am guessing you will absolutely need a subwoofer.

Good points. I appreciate great midrange and soundstaging. I'm not a bass fanatic, ie the HT crap that is supposed to be bass. Tight and fast does it for me as bass applies. I'm still a 2 channel guy as my room won't allow otherwise. I've heard too many HT systems that don't do justice to music, IMHO.

The La Scala does upper bass very bass. It's very tight, punchy and as far from muddy as you can get. But a sub does help for the low end. The model I use is listed in my system profile (not Klipsch). Some will say that such a cheap sub can't be good enough to match La Scala's but unless you play your LS full-throtle, there is no problem at all. And even at full volume, music doesn't usually have the low end that movies have.

Congratulations!

----------------

On 10/27/2004 4:08:00 PM scott0527 wrote:

We're only allowed to talk about Klipsch subs on this forum. So I would say, go with the top of the line Klipsch sub.

----------------

That's not accurate. From what Trey has posted, they do not want entire threads directed towards a competitor's subwoofer. I am not aware of any prohibition against the mere mention of another brand's sub or a recommendation related to the same. Again, so long as common sense is employed.

He's a grown man. I'll just throw out some names, and he can research the subwoofer section himself to view various people's opinions. Klipsch: a RSW-12 or a RSW-15 would make a fine addition to your LaScalas. HSU: VTF-2; VTF-3, Mk III. SVS: PB12-ISD/2, PB12-Plus/2 (formerly PB2s) or the Ultra. You can also get an idea by looking at various people's profiles.

Carl.

BTW, congrats on the Heritage!!! You will enjoy them for many years to come.

----------------

On 10/27/2004 8:57:23 PM cjgeraci wrote:

----------------

On 10/27/2004 4:08:00 PM scott0527 wrote:

We're only allowed to talk about Klipsch subs on this forum. So I would say, go with the top of the line Klipsch sub.

----------------

That's not accurate. From what Trey has posted, they do not want entire threads directed towards a competitor's subwoofer. I am not aware of any prohibition against the mere mention of another brand's sub or a recommendation related to the same. Again, so long as common sense is employed.

He's a grown man. I'll just throw out some names, and he can research the subwoofer section himself to view various people's opinions. Klipsch: a RSW-12 or a RSW-15 would make a fine addition to your LaScalas. HSU: VTF-2; VTF-3, Mk III. SVS: PB12-ISD/2, PB12-Plus/2 (formerly PB2s) or the Ultra. You can also get an idea by looking at various people's profiles.

Carl.

BTW, congrats on the Heritage!!! You will enjoy them for many years to come.

----------------

Oh my God! You said SVS! How dare you? Oh no! Now I've said SVS... oops I said it again. Damn, now I'm going to have to change my login.

I too mainly listen to the Blues.

LaScalas should sound great with the McIntosh 6900. I use MC 202 amps in my home theater system and they made a world of difference over others that I tried. I think the 6900 uses the 202 amp in it.

I use the Sunfire Signature sub and like it. Others that I would try are the Velodyne DD-18, SVS PB12 Ultra/2, Martin Logan Descent, Paradigm Servo 15, and the Revel B-15.

Hello:

I owned 2 pair of LaScalas. Stacked, top one inverted.

They have bass. But the rest is so clear that some do not notice the bass.

Klipsch and McIntosh mate well so you will have no trouble there.

Give them a chence. The only reaon I had to sell mine was due to lack of space. I have 2 pair of Cornwall IIs. This time in different rooms.

You will enjoy them and if you have any crossover questions, DeanG or Al K. are the ones to contact.

Congrats again and welcomke.

dodger