Confess your dumass stunts here

Tom Adams

----------------

On 11/4/2004 12:07:18 PM toddvj wrote:

When I was a little kid, I took a camera, the kind with the little square flash bulbs, put the flash bulb up to my eye and pressed the button. I immediately wished I hadn't done that, It hurt sooooo bad, and my eye instantly closed shut. I couldn't open it for a good five minutes, and thought I was going to be blind.

I've done a lot of other stupid stuff, but most of it was alcohol induced, this one was totally innocent.
----------------

Well, your just stupid 9.gif

Reminds me of somthing else I did.

When I was about 7 or so (again...), I had one of those articulated arm desk lamps with a 100 watt bulb. It was on for about an hour and was VERY hot. I got the bright idea of putting water on the bult to make it boil/steam...you know where this is going...anyway, I found a eye dropper and got some nice cold water (like it would have mattered), reached around to the back of the bulb, and drop...

...BAM!!! The entire light EXPLODED, just vaporized. I thought I was going to get a armful of molten glass, but that didn't happen.

Whew, that was retarded!!!

----------------

On 11/3/2004 3:15:41 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Stayed in a train tunnel with the train coming through it at 70mph. Wow, it was a total sensory overload experience.
6.gif
----------------

My kind of fun Dee.(70's) I wonder if this sort of stuff is an Arkie thing.

1) After dark, my friends and I would climb the fence at Drake field in Fayetteville. Walk onto the runway about 30 feet into the skid marks, lie on our backs and watch the planes land. OVERLOAD!! Never saw anyone that didnt run the first time! Did it many times and with wifes. As time went on, we moved closer and closer to the middle of the marks.

Bolted a steel chair (with seat belt) to the front bumper of a '68 Dodge van. Take turns driving and riding down HWY 16E at 80+ MPH.

Ah, the bad old days.

11.gif

Terry

At my last year of high school.

The head teacher telling we senior students off for marking the polished floor boards in the school hall after we ran a dance party there over a week end. He banned all dance parties for the rest of the year, including our formal.

The following weekend we accessed the hall, moved all the seating out, and via some blood, sweat and tears, manouvered a Volkswagon Beetle into the hall. Did some donuts, leaving big black marks on the polished floor boards, then squezzed the car out and replaced the seating.

The following Monday morning we had school assembly. The head teacher went OFF! I've never seen such a performance! He was spitting as he was yelling. All the other teachers were embarrased by the display. He threatened to expel the perpetrators. Needless to say we still never had another dance party or our end of year formal. We went out to a formal dinner instead.

Summer of 1974.

My pal Ross and his brother had a neat scheme going that summer. They would drive to Mexico and pick up 3 or 4 parrots and smuggle them back to a bird dealer in Orange County, CA. He would pay them $100 per bird on arrival (the birds were paid for in advance by the dealer). The parrots would have to be doped up in Mexico and carefully wrapped and put in the trunk for the crossing.

Anyway, they were making 3-4 runs a week early that summer and convinced me and my friend Ernie to join them in the enterprise and so we did. We were at it for about a month and were ROLLING in cash! This was A LOT of money in those days and we didn't really understand how VERY illegal and WRONG out actions were. Until one August afternoon when Ernie and I were busted at the border. We were locked in a small room and really worked over by the Customs guys--they didn't even let us call our families for about five hours! We were arrested and both charged with FEDERAL SMUGGLING FELONIES. My Dad had to hire a first class lawyer for me and Ernie and I got off with 2 years probation. I think rolling over on the bird dealer is why they let us off so easy. At the end of the two years our records were cleared. Needless to say the fine and the lawyer fees eneded up being about TWENTY TIMES the profit we made as criminals.

Dumbest thing I ever did and I cringe even now, 30 some years later when I think of how STUPID I was at 17.

Hmmm, wow... kind of a confessional here or what?? LOL. OK, here's something dumb...

When I was 14-15 me and some friends were wandering the neighborhood about 2-3AM. We had found a baseball that we were getting bored with throwing back and forth for a while, so somehow I got a dare or something and decided to launch it through some poor home owners picture window they had in the front of their house. Talk about stupid.... right away alarms went off.... we took off running then we heard the sirens of the police...etc. Needless to say nobody was caught, although we all ran right home and went to bed as soon as we/ I could stop shaking enough.

A little more recent, is this event which qualifies for some kind of dumbass award....

I worked 3rd shift in a factory, where we made aluminum transmission housings for Ford. Being 3rd shift, there wasn't much management around, and what was there wasn't worth mentioning.

It was break time, where you would have to wait to be relieved of your particular job at that time. So we had this younger kid that was just hired that had been sent to break. He was running a "shot blaster" at the time. This machine, once setting the transmission housing into it, you pushed two buttons to cycle it around... much like a set of rotating doors. The machine held 3 parts at a time so you would have to cylce it at least that many times to get the part back out. Once cycled the machine would then shoot little steel shot beads all over the part, giving it a nice finish. The bad part was it was a pretty dusty job, and wearing a face mask was a good idea.

Anyway... this new guy's break was ending and we all knew he would be returning to his station soon. So someone had got the grand idea (which had been done before) of soaking a pair of cloth gloves in WD40 and lighting it on fire, and throwing it up onto the platform of where the new guy was working. Well, the new guy didn't come back right away and the fireball we had thrown up there was going out. SO, we all grabbed more gloves and proceeded to throw them up there, all soaked in WD40. To quote Eddie Murphy... " Now that's a fire". We were all laughing, and rolling about how freaked out this new guy is going to be when he returns. Welp, the new guy must have been getting quite aquainted with our awesome 3rd shift break schedule, because he was running late. The parts were beginning to back up a bit, so someone had to catch them up. A co-worker of mine jumped up onto the platform, with a small pile of gloves burning in the bottom of the machine, and just started loading parts in, and cycling the machine...

Let me now tell you that connected to the machine, which no-one thought anything of at the time, is a big dust collector. This dust collector is there to suck all, or most of the steel dust that occurs once the machine is cycled.

So we are standing there watching this guy cycle the machine, when we notice smoke starting to come from the dust collector next to the machine. Our laughter, starts to turn to fright because as the machine is cycled again flames are starting to come out of the dust collector! We yell to the guy running the machine, and just as he looks around at the flames shooting out of the thing his eyes as big as saucers, a loud "KABOOM" goes off. We all had ducked behind a nearby cement wall to avoid the explosion, and when we looked back the door to the dust collector had been blown open, and we had ourselve a huge fire to deal with. The fire dept. had to be called, because the flames had spread up to the celing and was getting out of control! By then everyone in the shop had made it over to that area, and was helping with fire exstinguishers etc. It took quite the remainder of the night to clean up... again nobody was fired or blamed for the event, it was just chalked up to a cigarette butt or something. To this day I can't believe the things that went on in that place.... it's no wonder it closed down, and is no longer there.

WARNING, DANGER, Will Robinson. DANGER.

I've just worked it out. This thread is actually a very clever sting operation. The F.B.I. (Fun Busters Incorporated) have moved in on the hi-fi Geeks!

Every word uttered in confidence here will be used against us. Every bed wetting activity we've admitted to, and were guilty of, will be used against us.

All those that have participated in this thread now face the possibility of being labelled a B.O.S.E. supporter (Boring and Ordinary Speaker Extremist). 15.gif

I was in a fraternity at college and several of us had pretty nice stereo gear. I had my Heresys & a Nakamichi deck; Joe had some Advents & a Crown DC300A, Brad had some Kenwood gear.

So whenever the frat would have a party, we'd combine our gear and play DJ to save some money over hiring a band.

Brad, being the mad scientist, had built a light control box using switches & stuff from Rat Shack and an old military airplane. We had a mirrored ball and some home made spots and multi-color lights. It was all pretty crude compared to commercial stuff, but it got the job done.

The frat came to me, Brad, Joe, and a couple other "creative" guys and asked that we put together a unique theme for a party which became Space:2001 (this was in 1979). We lined the interior walls of the house where the party/dance floor was with heavy aluminum foil. The mad scientist said we (that meant him & I) needed to do something spectacular. The usual lights wouldn't be good enough. His suggestion? Flash pots.6.gif

He'd seen this pyrotechnic display at a concert and felt we could make our own. So we build (two of them) a 2x4 wooden thing that was counter-bored to hold a 3" dia steel pipe. 2 long nails were driven through the block about 1" apart and protruded up into the steel pipe. We took a few strands of steel wool and strung them between the two nails - kinda like a light bulb would look. On the other end of the nails we attached lamp cord. The pipe was placed on the block and some flash powder was dumped in. Plug the lamp cord into a a 110V outlet and WHOOOOOSH! (insert Tom Hanks' voice in Cast Away) FIRE!1.gif

Space:2001 party is rocking. We got the lights going and the reflections off the aluminum foil is awesome. Music is kickin' and the beer & booze is flowing. About 2 hours into the party Brad (running lights) looks at me (running the audio gear) and says, "You think it's time we give them a real show??

Now, let me tell you a couple of things here. First, we really hadn't shown this to anyone else in the frat. All our test firings were done in private outside. Second, we'd always used smokeless powder and varied our "loads" to see what kinda flames (height & duration) we'd get. On the light box, Brad had installed one of those cover guard swtiches like you see in an airplane. Flip up the red cover guard, push the toggle to center (arm position), then bump the toggle up (fire positon). Brad even had panel lights that would come on for these arm & fire positions! LOL

So I look at Brad and say, "Hell yeah...let's light 'em off!". I can't remember what song we had chosen for this display, but Brad flips the cover guard up and moves the toggle to the arm position - green light. He bumps the toggle forward and I'm completely blinded by this blast of light and insanely long WHOOOOOOOSH of flame burning. The last thing I remember is looking at Brad who's looking at me with that "OHHHH NOOOOO...." Mr. Bill look. The room is now engulfed in thick gunpowder smoke. That's right, Brad had not only slightly over-charged the pots, he bought the wrong powder - i.e. non-smokeless.

Girls were screaming, guys were hollering, folks were running for the exits, music is still blaring, emergency lights came on.....sheesh, it was cray-zeeee. When the smoke kinda cleared I look over and see Brad still in a state of shock and notice that his face has been sooted-up like what you see in old slap stick movies where just the area around your eyes is white. He starts laughing his *** off cause my face looks the same.

The frat never did give us free reign after that.

Tom

This is the funniest thread I've seen in a very, very long time. Keep it up, guys!

Ok, I've got another one, this time from high school, freshman year maybe?

My dad instructed me to pull the weeds out of the cracks in our driveway. We didn't have a very long drive, but I wanted to figure out the easiest way to kill all these buggers and get on to something more important, which was anything other than pulling weeds. Well, I got started up by the garage and happened to notice a can of gasoline sitting there. I kept working on those weeds when it occured to me that I could probably kill these weeds by torching them with a tad of gas. So I grab the gas can, pour a little bit out and toss down a match. I get a nice little fire going, no problem at all. Fire goes out, I think, Hmmm, I wonder if I could get the whole driveway going at once?

So I then proceed to pour a bit of gasoline on every crack in the driveway making sure to soak the weeds pretty good. When I got done, I dropped a match into a crack at the top of the driveway and watch the flames run down the center crack of the driveway and then split off into the cracks that run perpendicular to the center. Pretty cool stuff-I had some nice flames going, took no time to weed the driveway and it was pretty neat burning all those weeds instead of pulling them. I got ready to put the gas can away and noticed that I had spilled some gas in the garage. I promptly wiped it up with a paper towel and tossed it into a metal garbage can, otherwise empty.

This got me thinking about how my dad would occassionally light the grill for us kids. He would pour just a very very little bit on the charcoal, stand back and toss in a match. WHOOM!, flames about 3-5 feet tall and a very well-lit grill. Now I'm eyeing this garbage can and thinking about doing the same thing. Since I wanted to be as safe as possible, I pulled the grill out into the driveway a bit. I stepped back, lit a match and waited for the expected result. And waited. Nothing. Well, I figured that I'd better get a bit more gas on that paper towel, so I sprinkled some gas on it and repeated my step back, light match and toss routine. Again, nothing. I must have done this about 8 times with no result. I kept doing this getting closer and closer to the can. Finally, I'd had it so I lit a match and lowered it into the can when all of a sudden POW!!!! Not only did I get my expected result, but the force of that gas lighting propelled me off my feet and singed the hair on my arms and eyebrows. Needless to say, I didn't do that again.