BLUESMAN

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/12/2004 9:56:00 AM Myhamish wrote:

"Placement of either Cornwalls or LaScalas in a corner compared to along a flat wall makes a significant difference. This is apparent in the hugeness factor as well as the sound quality. Large speakers seem to melt away in corners. A little creative disguise helps too."

Could you please explain what you mean by a little creative disguise?

-------------------------------------------------------

"Along a flat wall, I bring each in from the end wall at half the distance between the two speakers to give the horns room to radiate without any early reflection."

{------( S )------------( S )------}

Like so?

Do you recommend toeing the speakers in?

--------------------------------------------------------

"In the corners, the horns naturally radiate without any early reflections."

When placed in the corners, what angle, (toe-in) do you suggest?

On 11/13/2004 12:13:11 AM mike stehr wrote:

Towards your skull....

----------------

Now let's see. You think that if my skull were to move along the perpendicular line extending from the midpoint of the speakers to the back wall, it wouldn't make any difference at what point I listened as long as I changed the toe-in of the speakers to point directly at my skull. So, two feet back would sound as good as say 300 feet back.

I expect that room size has a lot to do with it but I have heard that, if the speakers are 16 apart, the sweet spot would be 8 back. Ive also heard that it is not always best to point Klipsch Speakers directly at ones skull. Perhaps Myhamish will shed some light on the subject.

Triode---I've been in this hobby over 30 years, I reckon I can figure what's causing distortion. In fact I've heard and used Klipsch speakers with many amps. I've heard Klipschorns and Cornwalls sound good with SS(Molotky's Khorns for instance sound glorious propelled by Mac SS gear) and I've heard LaScalas sound obnoxious with an AudioNote 300B SET.

Why just last night I heard a pair of Cornwalls that sounded MUCH better when powered by a high-power SS amp than when earlier powered by a pair of SETs. I do not buy into the notion that horns must be used with tubes, not at all.

To answer another question: the Khorn, with it's considerably deeper bass, has a much better tonal balance than the LaScala. That extra bass extension makes a huge difference in the character of the speaker.

"Towards your skull...."

----------------

"Now let's see. You think that if my skull were to move along the perpendicular line extending from the midpoint of the speakers to the back wall, it wouldn't make any difference at what point I listened as long as I changed the toe-in of the speakers to point directly at my skull. So, two feet back would sound as good as say 300 feet back."

*My apologies, that post did come across as kinda mouthy.

"I expect that room size has a lot to do with it but I have heard that, if the speakers are 16 apart, the sweet spot would be 8 back. Ive also heard that it is not always best to point Klipsch Speakers directly at ones skull. Perhaps Myhamish will shed some light on the subject."

*I dunno, I'm in a small room. Wish I had a real home...

I have my cornwall's about seven feet apart, and sit about eight feet back.

Not by choice, that's just how it is.

But IME, I have gotten a better image by toeing them in towards my head in this particular room.

It's not optimum by no means.

----------------

On 11/14/2004 11:42:21 AM TBrennan wrote:

Triode---I've been in this hobby over 30 years, I reckon I can figure what's causing distortion. In fact I've heard and used Klipsch speakers with many amps. I've heard Klipschorns and Cornwalls sound good with SS(Molotky's Khorns for instance sound glorious propelled by Mac SS gear) and I've heard LaScalas sound obnoxious with an AudioNote 300B SET.

Why just last night I heard a pair of Cornwalls that sounded MUCH better when powered by a high-power SS amp than when earlier powered by a pair of SETs. I do not buy into the notion that horns must be used with tubes, not at all.

----------------

I have also been in this hobby for over 35 years, so we can agree to disagree. I am firmly in the tube camp. Some people like country music and I can't stand that either.

Just recognize that there are a lot of people that love the sound of La Scalas and don't consider them 'earwire' either.

I've used LaScalas extensively in sound reinforcement and DJ rental situations and own Cornwalls for my home use. I agree that the seeming lack of very low bass in the LS can me remedied by placement, but there still exists the very rough response curve in the lo-mid regions. Although the LS does exhibit more mid through it's bigger horn, in my mind this isn't always appropriate for home listening. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the engineering and especially the efficiency of the Mighty LaScala.

I just personally enjoy the smooth frequency response, extended low end, cabinet design (WAF factor if you have to deal with it) and shallow size of the Cornwall. I've had mine to 126 dB indoors with no appreciable distortion. The Cornwall sounds great at low volumes with jazz and background music and is amazing for HT and higher volume rock n roll, orchestral and fusion. I listen to all.

But like the guys said, collect em all, it's a set!

Michael

I've done a fair amount of listening comparisons of Klipsch Heritage speakers using tube and SS amplification (between my brother and I, we have 2 pair of Cornwalls, a pair of veritcal Cornwalls, a pair of Cornwall IIs, one pair of K-horns, two pair of Heresys, a pair of Lascalas, and a pair of industrial Lascalas). I prefer the Cornwall to the Lascala for most listening, and second only to the K-horn. I say most listening, because some music is awesome on the Lascala. For example, blues guitar by SRV, BB King, Albert King, etc. played through Lascalas sounds like the guitar amp is in your listening room. But to my ears, the the overall presentation of the Cornwall with the flat response down to 38Hz is more satisfiying over long listening periods. It is not perfect however, and some Lascala-like properties might help a Cornwall. I would really like to hear a "Cornwall" with a larger mid horn crossed at around 400Hz. I'm currently experimenting with P-traps on my Corns to kill the 9KHz flare up that may contribute to the "harshness" that some hear in the Cornwall. I may even try to stiffen the back to tighten up the bass. That BEC creation must sound very good.