• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob you TEASE!!!!!

Tell us "why" you like it!!

Maybe this could be the first "heritage" re introduction of the Cornwall. Way cool!

Well, first of all, I love the "Big" open midrange sound of a Lascala. I would also like the Lascala to have more bass. When I built these boxes, I was shooting for a "test fixture" for testing drivers that I rebuild for customers. The fact that these things sound so good was an welcome bonus. They have become my primary listening speakers since I built them. They are essentially the volume of a Cornwall on the bottom and ported like a cornwall. The top end is just like a Lascala or Khorn. The crossover is like a Klipsch Type B except modified a bit to cross at 400 hz. Efficiency should be about like a Cornwall but it seems to be a bit better than that. No real precise measurements on that yet.

I posted a long thread about building these boxes in the "Updates and Mods" secion of the forum awhile back. I will bump it back to the top in case some of you want to see all the details.

Bob Crites

----------------

On 11/11/2004 4:28:59 PM dodger wrote:

Both are excellent speakers.

If you don't crank the db level, you could do well with Original Heresys and a sub. I have Cornwall IIs connected to 1 Receiver at this point and Heresys with a sub connected to another.

The Heresys are sitting atop the Cornwall IIs and both can use the same program source. I find myself using the Heresy set up more often than the Cornwall IIs.

dodger

----------------

JALBERS1.jpg

i also had that set up before i got the ht bug,

although the only time i listened to the heresys by themselvs was at the beginning of a demonstration of the system.

having a chance to do a side by side demo, back in 79 when i purchaced the cornwalls, i too thought that the bass was fuller and more powerful than the lascalas so i bought the cornwalls instead. and as far as the tube comment goes if your in it to impress your audiophile friends tubes are warm and all that, but if you want impress your neighborhood ss is the way to go!!

(you know like on holoween when you play spooky soundtracks

and your wife tells you she could hear it 3 blocks away!!!)

jay

"...as far as the tube comment goes if your in it to impress your audiophile friends tubes are warm and all that, but if you want impress your neighborhood ss is the way to go!!"

tkot,

Apparently, you haven't had the experience of hearing Craig's VRDs driving Cornwalls at 118dB! 9.gif

Hey Bob,

Awesome corn-a-scalas. I really like the idea, and they are a true cornacopia of Klipsch components. If there was ever an improvement that could be made to a cornwall, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Since I put the subs on my LaScala system, I completely removed and exceeded any advantage my corn system had in the bass area. Now when I use my corn system, although it sounds excellent I feel it is at the disadvantage since those powerful mids are not there like with the LaScala.

Great idea. I bet it sounds excellent.

----------------

On 11/17/2004 12:51:04 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

If your only thought is tube amps are warm that is a ill founded stereotype.

VRD monoblocks are more than enough to deafen you indoors.

But the accuracy of reproduction is more musical than I ever heard any SS amp is what makes these amps desireable.

----------------

ok ...

ive never spent a lot of time with tube amps and cant speak with authority on them.

in preperation to reply to this post i did a google searce for vrd amps and all that comes up is welding equipment and several tube amp repair sights????

so....

either they put out so much power that you can weld with them...

or their in need of repair???

all i know is that i run bridged amps on 7 of my nine channels,

i run a 2 channel amp on the subs.

and if i wanted the same amount of "show off" volume i could never afford a huge pile of tube amps.

there are 2 reasons for this,1 the initial cost and,2 the cost of maintence.

p.s. only 118 db???

and i bet its a small room

jay

"...as far as the tube comment goes if your in it to impress your audiophile friends tubes are warm and all that, but if you want impress your neighborhood ss is the way to go!!"

Been there, done that with SS two channel.

Nobody cared...

I have one local audio friend, and I would have to pay him to come visit me.

14.gif

I'm the only one who listens to the stereo, I just try to impress myself.

Preferences....

Guest Anonymous

Bob, are you interested in building a pair for me? They look like a great solution for me since I do not have corners to use. Please let me know.

Steve10.gif

----------------

On 11/17/2004 10:17:26 PM smilin wrote:

Bob, are you interested in building a pair for me? They look like a great solution for me since I do not have corners to use. Please let me know.

Steve
10.gif

----------------

Steve,

I will be happy to have a set of the cabinets made of you and I can sell you every part (tweeters, woofers, squawkers and crossovers) new. I am not sure that I should get into final assembly of the parts though. Shipping would be much easier in pieces.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

----------------

On 11/17/2004 10:09:16 PM mike stehr wrote:

Been there, done that with SS two channel.

Nobody cared...

I have one local audio friend, and I would have to pay him to come visit me.

14.gif

I'm the only one who listens to the stereo, I just try to impress myself.

Preferences....

----------------

all good points!!

ive owned my cornwalls since 1977

and they impress me every time i listen,

but i still like the look on their faces the first time they hear,and feel my system

preferences??..exactly!!!

jay

----------------

On 11/17/2004 10:33:30 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 11/17/2004 10:10:32 PM mike stehr wrote:

Gee, you were even behind them....

----------------

I think Griff was playing some hair band from the 80s at about 120 dbs. I had to hide behind them AND block my ears to avoid the pain and suffering!
9.gif

----------------

Yup Griff cleared the room a few times ! Had me running for the hills LOL !!!