Passion of the Christ

cluless

OKAY - I'm real behind here - I put it off for as long as I could...

and finally the morbid curiousity sunk in...and I submitted...I watched...and I was appalled.

This movie was grotesque, and had no redeeming factors....Unless of course, you get off on watching someone getting their skin flayed for about 30 minutes.

I have yet to see it, but I'm sure I will.

I can see any number of reasons for making the movie the way it was made, but I haven't heard any explanation for what was the artistic or religious statement Gibson was trying to make when he made it.

People in Hollywood are so disconnected from reality.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:48:22 AM gcoker wrote:

It's to show the suffering Christ took on our behalf.

----------------

Frankly, I think not...Instead I think that it was Mel Gibson's chance to play "Shock Jock" of modern cinema. It was a play for gratuitous and overly-graphic violence. Howard Stern would be proud.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:11:44 PM cluless wrote:

----------------

On 11/16/2004 8:48:22 AM gcoker wrote:

It's to show the suffering Christ took on our behalf.

----------------

Frankly, I think not...Instead I think that it was Mel Gibson's chance to play "Shock Jock" of modern cinema. It was a play for gratuitous and overly-graphic violence. Howard Stern would be proud.

----------------

I humbly disagree. Mel seems quite genuine in all of the interviews I have seen him in when talking about this film and his motivation for making it. It was to tell the story as accurately as possible, hence the Aramaic language, etc. I thought the movie was extremely well done and for the most part accurate, although I admit being troubled by the graphic violence portrayed in the film. However, this had more to do with my empathy for what Christ endured, rather than seeing it on screen. I remember a similar feeling after watching "Schindler's List."

I think the comparison to Howard Stern is a tad over the top...

I saw it with my ex-gf in theaters...

I had heard how gruesome it was, but her family is highly religious and wanted to see it... so I went along. I didn't really know what to expect. As I looked around in the theater, I saw families with LITTLE KIDS... I mean 3-5 or so. This struck me as odd... and after having seen the film through, I wonder if those children weren't scarred for life. I cannot believe parents would take their kids to see something like that... I can barely believe adults would want to watch something like that. And, I really cannot believe that tons of people would rush to buy it on DVD so they could watch it again. I will never watch it again willingly....

I thought it was a great movie! I bought it and will probably watch it every Easter much like I have begun watching Saving Private Ryan every Memorial Day. Sometimes I just need that awakening for me to realize my life isn't bad and that I should be thankful to others while paying the most thanks to Jesus for offering his life for my sins.

I am sure this movie isn't for everyone but that is not uncommon for a movie like this. Heck, even a movie like LOTR has it's detractors, my brother in law can't make it even halfway though the Fellowship of the Rings. Yes, he isn't quite the Siskel of the family!

My wife & I saw this at the theater. Both of us have deep religious convictions. Both of us were disturbed, yet moved to grief at what we saw. Both of us agreed afterwards that it would be sometime before we could or would watch this movie again. However, we came to the conclusion that our reluctance was based on our sense of feeling guilty that we don't pay more attention to what Christ went through for our salvation. To some, that "graphic violence" is just that. For the believers, it's the horrific suffering that Christ endured to atone for man's sins. It was meant to be disturbing and it should be disturbing. To me it's no different than folks who show awful images of children suffering in Somalia in order to move folks to do something or get involved. And it's no different than the beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan or the in your face reality of Schindler's List or the movie (can't recall the name) of the suffering black slaves endured while being shipped to this country. All too often we like to gloss over the harsh realities of the suffering, the persecution, the horror that mankind has endured and has perpetrated on his fellow man from time-to-time. I suggest to you that we do this to ease our social conscious and to shirk the blame.

As someone else said, it's not a movie for everyone. If one wants to see this movie because your "curious" or you're looking for "entertainment", move along. If your religious beliefs are strong, you will see the value in what Mel managed to capture. For me, I'm glad Mel made the movie.

Tom

• Moderators

Not the change the subject too drastically (I have not seen this movie), but I'm curious as to what would you say is the most "disturbing" movie you've ever seen (not necessarily because of graphic violence)?

I'd have to say Deliverance for me, and not because it's more disturbing than anything out there, but because I saw it when I was 12 years old, uncut.

I might have to go all the way back to the Wizard of Oz or Willie Wonka, for that matter. The flying monkeys freaked me out, and the chubby boy going up the chocolate tube gave me nightmares.

1.gif

In my adult life, I still might stay with Deliverance. It's just too creepy to even think about. Natural Born Killers is on my list too. Ooh, and The Shining. Something about the ghosts Shelly Duvall sees towards the end (one in a costume that looks like a bear or a dog in a hotel room with a guy in a tux...what EXACTLY were they DOING??)....

A movie I saw as a kid which haunted me for a long time was Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark with Kim Darby. It was a made for tv movie that I could never figure out the title 'til I became an adult. Read the description on imdb.com and I'll bet you remember it as well. The first time I watched Faces Of Death was shocking. Another gross-fest is Nekromantik. Pretty disturbing tale about a guy who has the fun job of cleaning up body parts from wrecks on the autobahn. He and his girlfriend gather body parts and create "people". They then make sweet love to their creations. Maybe this should be a new topic. This quickly shifted from Jesus to Deliverance to necrophelia.

Movies and movie makers, producers, writers, performers, etc... Hollywierd is celluloid and humans are human. Cinema is an extremely powerful medium and it's entertainment value is often abused and frequently mis-interpreted.

Regarding the Passion it's at least honest about it's message,content and purpose. In the movie Saving Private Ryan director Speilberg inserted the scene wherein a smallish Jewish soldier is slowly and painfully stabbed to death by a big and merciless German soldier while nearby a sniveling American soldier is depicted as too cowardly to intervene. The analogy is obvious and wholly unecessary to the story line. Covert messages are much worse than are overt ones.

Film making is an art AND a science. It's well know for it uses in propaganda, etc.... The moviegoers decide what's right and wrong, good and bad.

Having grown up in West L.A. I've known several actors and their families, which is why I watch the Discovery Channel.16.gif